Anyone thinking about buying a car! READ THIS!

Sure, it woud be expensive to fly out to see each car on this board. LOL
Obviously, you need to narrow it down to one or three cars ;), and go from there.

Point I tried to make earlier is;
Don't be dissapointed if no one in the area is willing to go look at the car for you.
Good luck.

I think I said I had narrowed the list to the one I was most interested in. Unfortunately, he would not give me the information needed for me, or anyone else, to take the next step. I don't have the extra cash to go look at more than ONE car and I won't go look at even one if the seller won't provide the information I need.

That being said, why would you say "Don't be dissapointed if no one in the area is willing to go look at the car for you." Did I do or say something to piss someone off?

Excellent idea! Is anyone available in the Portland, OR area? I'm interested in a 1986 GN there.

I belong to a RV club that uses a map of the USA to pinpoint club members. It doesn't show street address but, in this case, it could show city & state location. The site shows our first names and model of coach we own. Someone needing help in a particular area could click on that area and the volunteer would pop up with an email link or PM icon. Someone would have to stress the need to be prudent and not request help on more than one car or whatever limit was decided upon. Just a thought. I'm interested in three GN's at the moment and a map is a lot easier to use than scrolling through this posting and keeping a personal list of who is where. I'm also only asking for help on the GN that I'm most interested in. Bill - In search for a GN replacement for my 1966 Riviera GS that was just totaled and picked up last week.

towerguy,

If you can email me details about what you are looking for, I may be able to help you locate a quality car. Folks contact me about stuff they find, know about or want to sell all the time and if I can help you locate the right car for you, I would be happy to help. Please email me direct at BryanTurner01 at gmail dot com and I will be happy to do what I can.

I think that a map is an excellent idea! I would have absolutely no idea how to implement something like that, but still think it would be great! I simply initiated the thread so anyone looking for help or willing to help could have a central thread to go look. Your idea makes so much more sense and if anyone here has any idea how to do this, I would love to see it happen!

As far as me, I am, as always willing to do whatever I can to help in the Central Virginia market.

Thanks,
Bryan:biggrin:

towerguy,

I think that a map is an excellent idea! I would have absolutely no idea how to implement something like that, but still think it would be great! I simply initiated the thread so anyone looking for help or willing to help could have a central thread to go look. Your idea makes so much more sense and if anyone here has any idea how to do this, I would love to see it happen!

Thanks,

towerguy,

As far as me, I am, as always willing to do whatever I can to help in the Central Virginia market.

Thanks,

I'll get in touch with the site owner and see what he has to say. It is pretty cool! You can click on a tab that shows you where members are, another tab shows coaches for sale, one for get togethers. It would be awesome when it is set up here. Coaches are color coded so, if you're looking for a specific coach such as one like mine (Regency) you'd look for a purple pin. That could be used here for Astroroof, Hardtop, T-Top, Factory light weight, Race car, GNX, etc. I'm confident that members will love it. The down side is whoever implements this stuff having enough time to do it. Bill

I've contacted my Barth RV website owner and he has agreed to help. I've forwarded the idea to "TBreply@gmail.com" so we'll see what happens. If you like the idea, let them know. Also let them know if you don't like the idea and why. I'd suggest replying here so they're not innundated with "I like it" or "I don't like it" emails.

I never heard back from anyone at turbobuicks.com about my idea to mkae a map of volunteers, get togethers, member location of cars for sale (general, not specific), etc. I've also never heard back for repeated requests for logon issues. I'm not sure if they'ere buried with emails or maybe my emails go straight to the trash can.

I no longer need any assistance buying a GN, I've made a deal on a low mileage (34,000) original '87 GN. I did make a request of one of the moderators to tell me what they knew about a GN they were familiar with. I never got a response there either so I passed on that car. I couldn't help but wonder if he wasn't answering for a reason or if he never got my message. Either way, I decided against the car based on what I could see in the pictures. Fortunately, I did not waste money going to see it in person as had been suggested. that would have menat my money and emails had gone in the trash can. :wink: Wish me luck on the one I decided on.

Hey this lil al mi i will buying one this winter loking for 11sec one hand turbo t man it was clean but want gn.

Just an update on the 1987 GN I thought I was buying. It has been said here that the only way to buy one of these cars, or any car for that matter, is to see it in person. With that in mind, I will stay close to home in the Colorado Front Range area from now on. I flew to Grand Rapids Michigan yesterday morning, with cash in hand, to buy a 1987 Grand National I had found using the AutoTempest website that searches several sites at once, including craigslist.

The car was owned by an older man (75?) that listed had it on craigslist. In phone conversations with him, I mentioned that I wanted either a T-Top or Astroroof car. His response was his car had the Astroroof, the listing indicated "sunroof." I felt very comfortable with him, the description, pictures and ultimately the GN so, I took the next step and flew out to see it while completely expecting to buy it.

It NEVER entered my mind that someone would take a hardtop GN, cut a hole in the roof and stick in a cheesy aftermarket flip-up sunroof. It NEVER occurred to me the owner would neglect to mention this if it had been done. This little mistake cost me about $670. It could have been much worse. I came oh so close to having it shipped. I've had several negative experiences, one guy in Portland that would not divulge any information and now another that gave a wealth of information that turned out to be worthless.

I was going to have the car inspected and that would only have added to the cash I threw in the trash can. An inspector would have been looking for problems but, unless the inspector was well versed in the Buick Grand National, nothing would have been mentioned about a aftermarket sunroof unless it leaked or had obvious problems.

One thing I did notice while looking at the car in total disgust, the pieces added that make up the spoiler system, appeared to have been added poorly. I can't imagine Buick put these on like this because they weren't lined up. The front airdam had been modified when the Kirban Ram Air system was added. I've seen close up pictures of these and they looked pretty nice. This one did not appear to fit well due to a gap between the air dam and the intake behind it. The best word to describe it was shoddy.

The seller said the car did not have any dings or scratches. While I didn't see any dings, it had scratches in the fender and driver door, I quit looking at that point because of the sunroof. The paint had water psots so I couldn't really tell the condition of the paint because of the lighting in the parking garage.

This car is listed on craigslist in Reed City MI. I do not recommend this car. The listing price was $15,995 and agreed sale price was $14,800. The seller did agree to deliver the car to me at the Grand Rapids airport so that I could hit the road heading for home. He also agreed for me to use his plates. While we were looking over the car, he said nobody ever told him anything about the "sunroof." During phone conversations, he indicated several people had come to look at the car, commenting how clean the undercarriage was. While I can appreciate that, I believe someone would have mentioned the sunroof as being aftermarket; he had to know. Buyer beware certainly comes to mind.

At any rate, I'll try and be patient and wait for one to show up along the front range near the Denver-Colorado Springs area. It is far too expensive to look outside the region when sellers represent their cars so poorly. Unles they list them like the seller of the GNX "Recreation" did, with awesome pictures and description, I won't take anymore chances.

Damn, sorry to hear of your experience. At least you are only out the cost of the flight and your time. Could have been much worse. ALWAYS get a picture if the RPO codes on the trunk lid. This alone would have saved you a trip , the astroroof was an option that would be on the sticker. If my memory serves me CF5 is the code. Good luck in your search.
FYI...my moonroof is an after market, installed by the dealer but I bought it anyway.

well heres another one to watch out for. PM,d a member about checking a car out for me in his area. long story as short as possible. said he would. first tried to sell me his buds car. a few hours later,the car I contacted him about was gone. havent heard back from him either. I,m not accusing anybody with anything, but . . . . . .

ALWAYS get a picture if the RPO codes on the trunk lid. This alone would have saved you a trip , the astroroof was an option that would be on the sticker. If my memory serves me CF5 is the code. Good luck in your search.
FYI...my moonroof is an after market, installed by the dealer but I bought it anyway.

Another reason I come to this website! I never thought about the RPO sticker, I'll keep it in mind. I went to pull permits for the basement I'm doing and, low and behold, a guy that works there hass an '87 GN and knows two people that are selling there's that haven't advertised. So, I've already found another GN that is actually within the borders of my state and maybe right here in town. For the 1987 model year I most want, that is a first. All the rest have been several states away. This GN is a little pricey for me but we might be able to make a deal if it is what I'm looking for. I haven't decided if I'm willing to consider a non-Astroroof or T-Top car but I'll find out what it is tonight hopefully. It only has 20,000 mmiles on it. I've tried to get the used car factory to make what I'm looking for but they always seem to be on vacation or out to lunch! I might have to lower my sights a little.

Sorry to stick my nose in a 3 month old thread. Good ideas,some good responses. Towerguy put up some good points,it is roulette to some degree-always. Looking over alot of ads I just know guys are avoiding things or playing dumb,its almost like an accepted game on the selling front. I am also a firm believer that good quality clear photos say a 1000 words.

Let me explain further...I've taken more photos and description selling $50 mufflers than guys selling these classic muscle cars. These are high dollar collector cars right?,don't be freakin lazy(not many here btw). I've looked over hundreds of ads and the slacker attitude has taken over. Somebody mentioned asking for more photos is like pulling teeth-oh so true.Sorry rant over.

Great sticky thread and great network to prevent members from getting burned.

For those who are looking to buy a Turbo Buick (or any car) in the Western PA area I do pre purchase inspections.

You can contact me through my website at www.PVPPI.com or contact me through the forum.

Happy hunting!

Great sticky thread and great network to prevent members from getting burned.

For those who are looking to buy a Turbo Buick (or any car) in the Western PA area I do pre purchase inspections.

You can contact me through my website at www.PVPPI.com or contact me through the forum.

Happy hunting!

Thanks for posting! Great idea and cool site! Good luck with everything and I will certainly keep you in mind if I have any personal needs in the area!

Just an FYI. I got Friends All over Indiana and i am willing to drive and look at any turbo buick for people just PM me