Anyone running a spool ...

PSID6

I've been wanting to put a spool in the car and forever forget about one wheel wonders. Just wondering if any guys out there have made the swap to a spool with drag radials with Skinnies up front and regretted doing it.

They are not very friendly for the street but at the drag strip they work great , If you drive on the street most of the time you will hate it . stay with the posi units if you are not all drag racing .

We have a couple street/strip cars with spools and they do ok.

One thing you need to be aware of is making sharp turns like in a parking lot, but other than that they are easy to live with!

Drag radials are not too bad on the street, but drag slicks with a spool and street driving is not a good idea as you will scrub off the rubber big time.

My slicks on the race were ok and had lots of runs left, but I needed to do some tuning and took it to the street, [it is street legal!] so I now have new slicks that will NOT go on the street.

The majority of street driving that I do is to and from the track, with about 30 to 40 miles of that being highway. I figure if I can't live with it that I would just rebuild the stock posi and through it back in.

Detroit locker is the next best thing. I almost pulled the trigger on a spool and found info on the DL and just decided to go that route. All i can say is that it works. Some people complain about the noise of ratcheting around corners, but its not that bad. I have an in-car video if you want.

Detroit locker is the next best thing. I almost pulled the trigger on a spool and found info on the DL and just decided to go that route. All i can say is that it works. Some people complain about the noise of ratcheting around corners, but its not that bad. I have an in-car video if you want.
Yes I would like to see the video. What is the part #

Go with the spool, you'll love it. I've had one in my car for more than ten (maybe 15) years now and never regretted it. The only time I can feel it is when making very sharp turns (like when parking the car in a thigh parking spot) but other than that, it works great. (y)

Claude. ;)

What you hear is exactly what it sounds like going around corners.

That sounds horrible. Mine doesn't sound like that at all. I've had a spool in mine for several years now as I got a good deal on it. Only time I notice is like stated above, hard turns like locking the steering wheel and in reverse

That sounds horrible. Mine doesn't sound like that at all. I've had a spool in mine for several years now as I got a good deal on it. Only time I notice is like stated above, hard turns like locking the steering wheel and in reverse
Its a Detroit locker:banghead: Not a spool.

I had a 92Z28 with a spool and it did ok on the street. The tires chirped around corners as mentioned and it would scrub the slicks badly.

Thanks for the imput guys. I think I'm just gonna spool it. I really don't drive the car around town enough for it to get annoying. What was annoying was losing my last street race, cause the car was a one tire frying freak show :shifty:

I have a spool in my car and I hate it. If your car is going to be used on the street not just driven back and forth to the track you'll probably regret putting one in. I had the unfortunate experience of having to push my car in to the garage after it was towed home just recently. Suffice it to say it took 3 full grown men to push it from the alley into my garage because the car didn't want to turn the corner.

Neal

I would rather have a good posi. However for the deal I got on the rear end in my car I couldn't pass it up