Anyone Like To Cook?

~JM~

Wrinkled Member
I am secure enough in my manliness to admit that I can cook.

Todays experiment: Bone Broth

Not that kind of bone. :eek:

Using some beef bones, salmon carcasses, plus several chopped herbs & veggies.

Let simmer for many hours...

1.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg

Um... Good stuff !

I learned to cook out of necessity as a "latch key kid" ie working parents and 75% of the shows I watch are cooking shows. I do not not cook as much as I once did or experiment with perfecting recipes, I think cooking is like a science experiment always longing for a new perspective without overwhelming the core ingredient.

They say that the way to a mans heart is through his stomach but I have learned from experience the same can be said for the female persuasion. Cooking is a passion and a stress relief and is often the topic of discussion with my female friends who love men who cook.

Your food looks delicious so well done sir! ;)

Growing up in an Italian family, a meal was a blessed event especially with company, and my mother, grandmother and aunt's were fabulous cooks and I learned at lot from them!

I have owned and operated food places for a while, and my second passion is cooking, especially with the ethnic food I know and love.

Sometimes I take a morning or afternoon off and relax from turbo Buick issues and clear my mind by cooking.

Cooking as a second hobby is good for me, and relieves a lot of stress when needed. :)

Teaching your wife a couple things in the kitchen can also be satisfying!

I like to eat, so I had to learn to grill. My wife can cook, killer Serbian ethnic food. I am the grill master, as that is my favorite, summer food, but a killer heavy ethnic meal in the fall/winter is the best. Eat yourself into a food coma, and watch football. I can cook a killer breakfast though.

I figured there would be a few on this board that enjoy preparing a good meal.

After simmering all night... This is what I have so far.

Need to let it go for a bit longer, then poor it through a strainer, allow it to cool & enjoy.

16.jpg

Here's a batch of my balls...LOL
I just did this batch yesterday...Mike
20160501_115010(1).jpg

Lol, good stuff right there.

But yes keeping the balls moist is key. It all starts with what you put in them and also how you cook them. I go with my grandmother's recipe 99% of the time, which is all beef. Though, I have messed around with doing veal and pork mixtures but I just haven't gotten the mix down yet. Still always awesome, but I still prefer Grandmas way...Mike

I do all of the cooking at my house and the wife couldn't be happier ! I grew up in a Italian family with 4 brothers that all cook too . I Learned a lot from Mom , she was the best and always cooked for an army . My neighbor is a Chef and we are always running food over for each other to try . He's a big hunter also , so wild game is great . Anyone who comes to my house loves MY kitchen , 3 ovens ( 2 gas 1 electric , all convection ) 6 burner commercial gas stove with center grill , 4 sinks & 6'x 8' walk-in pantry . My kitchen cost more than my Buick .... if that is even possible !!

I love to cook. Lately haven't had as much time as I would like, and back pain been too high to really want to spend 2 hours cooking.

I prefer to bbq/smoke food.

Oinkions are a great side to a smoked ribeye. Wrap vidalia onions that have been lightly coated in olive or peanut oil in bacon, season the bacon witha rub, let them smoke with the steak. If done right you get that soft oniony inside with smoked moist bacon.

Also moinks, meatballs previously made or from froze, wrap them in bacon, rubbed, then smoked. Nomnomnom.

Going to try bacon wrapped water chestnuts soon. I love water chestnuts, and lets face it, bacon makes everything better. Do those with a smoked steak or tri-tip... Maybe add a little asian persuasion spices to the meat before smoking to balance it out.

As for kitchens, if I could have fit a Viking in my house, I would have. When I bought the house the home series weren't really out yet, just the commercial.

Next time I buy a stove/oven, it will likely be a Viking. As long as I have the room. 2 ovens, 2 broilers and a ton of burners...

Dinner...bourbon marinated(Wild Turkey 101) tri tipView attachment 289327
Smoker or grill?

Looks scrumptious.

Only asking because I tried a tri-tip on my broilmaster and just couldn't get the temp down enough to get it tender enough, but on the bbq or smoker those turn out fuggin great. Wondering if you have a trick I don't know for tri-tips on a gas grill.

Charcoal grill. After getting my coals hot, I start by layering them off to one side of the grill. My tri tip I begin with direct heat by placing it directly over the coals, to get a nice sear. After that, I move it to the other side of the grill away from the coals, and I finish it with indirect heat. Basically using the grill as an oven. I aim for a temp between 300-350. Cooking indirectly, you wanna leave the top of the grill closed. Searing, makes no difference whether the top of the grill is closed or not.

I'm no where near as good on a gas grill, but I figure that I may be able to replicate what I can do on a charcoal one by manipulating the burners and my meat placement. I'm actually planning on using a gas grill a bit this winter to see if I can expand my repertoire.

Lol, good stuff right there.

But yes keeping the balls moist is key. It all starts with what you put in them and also how you cook them. I go with my grandmother's recipe 99% of the time, which is all beef. Though, I have messed around with doing veal and pork mixtures but I just haven't gotten the mix down yet. Still always awesome, but I still prefer Grandmas way...Mike

My mom has a recipe for small snack type meatballs in which she uses Owens Hot Breakfast sausage, they are addicting.

Oinkions are a great side to a smoked ribeye. Wrap vidalia onions that have been lightly coated in olive or peanut oil in bacon, season the bacon with a rub, let them smoke with the steak. If done right you get that soft oniony inside with smoked moist bacon.
OH MY GOD THOSE SOUND FANTASTIC!! How long until they get soft and sweet, at least 1hr I would guess?

OH MY GOD THOSE SOUND FANTASTIC!! How long until they get soft and sweet, at least 1hr I would guess?

Normally about an hour to an hour and a half or so. Pretty much matches the time to get a 1.25-1.5" thick ribeye to medium. Depends on how thick the onion chunks are, and what temp the bbq or smoker is running. On the Weber bbq, which runs hotter than my smoker, about 45 min most of the time. Also, don't use thick cut bacon. Takes longer and isn't as pliable for wrapping. Tears easier. Normal Oscar Meyer bacon works good, or even a good store brand, just not Morrel brand. That bacon isn't very good. Meijer brand even works better.

These do not work out well on a gas grill. Normally causes a nice fire, over-done bacon and under-cooked onion inside.