Anyone into vintage home stereo?

John Larkin

Sublime Master of Turbology
At my Moms, we removed her old stereo system planning to replace it with a Bose Wave CD player for size and convenience. I took home her receiver and speakers to put on ebay. After listening to them, I may just have to keep them. It is an old Yamaha CR-620 receiver and a pair of Yamaha DS5 speakers. It is only 35 watts but it sounds really good. I hooked up my old 5-disc carousel CD player and it all works good and looks good. I still have my old JVC components but just haven't used them in a long time. Looks kind of nice sitting there like furniture, woodgrain finish with silver face.

I just hooked up a vintage system to play LPs.
Everything is pre-79 and sounds great...

P1030685 (800x600).jpg
P1030687 (800x600).jpg

I have an old pair of Bose 301 speakers with a late 70's vintage Marantz (sp?) receiver in the garage. Classic rock sounds great on it!

I love listening to old records but put a 100 together and there just down right heavy!!

hello; Alot of old sh-- is goood shit in stereo and if you have the room there great. Through a platter on for me on relax.
Don't be too afraid to turn it up a bit.
IBBY

While not of the highest sound quality, I am in search of a cheap pair of Cerwin Vega D9s for my GN to listen to while I work on her. The vegas are known for loud rock and roll music or whatever. Perfect for my redneck version of Christine...

I picked up a 1962 Fender reverb tank from a house my brother and I were rewiring. The guy had it in a trash pile and had no problem with us taking that junk away. You should have seen all of the old school guys eye's light up when I walked in one of the local music shops with it. Like it was a long lost friend. I put it up on ebay and sold it for $750.

Keep searching craigslist list for the D9's. Plan on replacing the foam but thats easy..

Yea, I have found a few pairs there. I miss the sale or they are not worth the asking price. There was a great set that I saw go throught there a few weeks ago, near perfect shape and new foam on them. I missed those:(

I have a Hitachi Class G Receiver/Amp with matching Hitachi 3 way Speakers out in my garage.

My dad bought me the set up new for my 18th birthday in '77. It's STILL the best sounding system in the house.

I've got a Yamaha CR-1020 in the basement, former college stereo years and years ago. :eek:
Lots of bells and whistles and 3 meters on that top of the line model. :cool:

I am using an Onkyo Integrated amp A-10 with Denon tuner in the living room now with Klipsch Heresy speakers I got for a song, and I can't sing hence the need for a LOUD stereo. o_O

In the stereo room I have the home made Altec studio monitors with McIntosh vintage transistor amps. from the early 1980's.

They all work well, lots of platters here too, 1969 Sony a.c. direct drive turntable with a ADC carbon fiber arm from the late 80's. :)

Yes I'm into vintage stereo....I have a Kenwood 3130 hooked to a pair of Sansui SP-30 speakers I use in the garage. Both are over 40 years old and still sound great.

KR-3130.JPG

product-081300407039.jpg