Anyone into amateur radio?

"Turbo-T"

V6 on steroids
Just recently passed my initial exam, now I am a licensed amateur radio operator with a technicians license. So there's a second hobby to suck my wallet dry. No wonder I'm a poor man. :biggrin:

I've done some amateur videos, does that count? ;)

You gonna start yourself a pirate radio station like Christian Slater did in that movie Pump Up the Volume?

Welcome to the HAM world! and yes, another hobby to drain the pocketbook, but great people on the radio.

Steve
KE5IOB

yep, same here. Been a ham for about 20 years and did it the old fashion way with Morse Code @ 20 words per minute to get my Extra Class license.

73 de KG8S Brad

35 years a ham here, and yes I speak fluent morse code. My radios are older than my Buick.

You gonna start yourself a pirate radio station like Christian Slater did in that movie Pump Up the Volume?

Lol..no. I only did it because 3 years ago during a move across country, I installed a CB in the car (to keep up on road conditions) and found how fun radio communications can be...then I learned there's not many on CB anymore and those who are on are mostly truck drivers, some of which don't care to talk to anyone who isn't a truck driver...add to that all the cussing, threats, noise, hash, trash, etc that is associated with CB (especially during the 11 year skip cycle), and not being able to talk 5 miles...and how CB has never evolved but amateur radio has...figured I'd give this a shot.

KA2JA, Tokyo, Japan here..

We had a ham unit when I was in the far east..1960-63..
1 gallon.... A BC610 that we got from the base supply dump. We were eventually put off the air. Seems we were walking all over base communications!!:eek:

We had a ham unit when I was in the far east..1960-63..
1 gallon.... A BC610 that we got from the base supply dump.

Holy crap. I had to google it....:eek:

BC-610_frnt.jpg

BC-610_bak2.jpg

Dad has been a Ham radio operator since in the military 1952, he ran the MARS sattion in Frankfurt germany, also in South Korea, and even at Fort Gordon Ga, I helped out running phone patches in Germany and Ga when that was about the only way to communicate, but now with satelite tech, it is obsolete, His civ call is W4DCF, and Military call is AA4DCF when he assists, he one of the few civ that that has the authority to work on mil signals, Still has a lot of the collins equipment setup in his radio room, along with several 3 and 6 element beams located on a 100' fold over tower.

N8DRK here (advanced class). Licensed since about 1977. Formerly WD4JKN. Have some (old) equipment, but basically inactive for the last few years.

Welcome to the hobby!

Bob

I used to be a HAM...license expired and never renewed it, "lazy me":frown: N4BMP. (Technician).