Anyone help with speedo cable change out

87GN 98GTP

Andrew
So I have a turbo 400 trans with 275/60 15s and unsure of the gears in the rear end( its either 3:42 or 3:73)but want to change my speedo cable because it bounces and the speedo is off by like 5mph. Who to call and gets parts and what should I be looking for, the speedo doesn't have to be right on but closer than 5 mph or so off

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Chances are the bearings in your cluster are bad. You can try a new cable but be aware the problem could be in the cluster.

So if the bearings are bad can it be fixed or just a new cluster

Yes it can be fixed but it is expensive. I paid $325 for new bearings and recalibration to 145mph. Honestly if it is only 5 mph off I wouldn't even worry about it. Try re-greasing your cable and see if it fixes it. Pulling the cluster is a pain in the ass. Not hard but there are alot of tiny screws and the rpm Tach gauge connector can be a bitch to get to.

Thanks that's what I'm going to try and just leave it alone if that doesn't help

Jumping speedo needle can be caused by misrouted/moved cable if there is too tight of a bend that is what happens.

rev.3:11
Thanks for the info on the 2pc speedo cable for AVC dash.

I can't find it on the atp site.
I've got the same VSS sender with AVC wiring harness on my car. Would you be able to post the part number for the 2 pc speedo cable for AVC set up ?

thanks

dave

Look for :
Y-802 (upper) 38" Thread Size 7/8-18 female, 5/8-18 female
Y-822 (lower) 61" Thread Size 7/8-18 female, 7/8-18 male
http://atpautomotive.com/cables?subcategory=713
there is a cross-ref tab
I had to cross-reference the lower to the Dorman/Motormite #03164 at O'rielly but can't pull it up online:confused:
They make shorter lengths, mine seem excessively long...
Download the catalog in PDF & on p. 280 illustrtions #1 & #3 give lengths & part #'s
http://atpautomotive.com/library/downloads/public

Do_O