Anyone Ever Buy Trees Online?

~JM~

Wrinkled Member
As the title asks...

Just moved to a new location & I'd like to plant several trees. Unfortunately the local nursery is not very promising looking. I bought a tree over the I'net once & it did well, but that was a vastly different climate & soil. I am now located in the Southwest & my growing or hardiness zone is supposedly 7B.

I'm interested in at least one Honeycrisp apple tree. My neighbor has a couple of apple trees that should act as pollinators. It looks like Honeycrisp may not be well suited to my area though. I figure as long as I'm paying to water the trees, I might as well plant things that I enjoy eating. Peaches, pears, nectarines, figs, berries, maybe even some form of a nut tree or two.

I also need several evergreen type of trees to be run along my property line to provide privacy & a wind block. They should be as drought tolerant as possible, fast growing & I would prefer that they didn't produce a lot of pollen.

Looking for any advice on where to order trees, the type & size I should order, etc. Information on soil amendment would also be appreciated. I'm hoping that I don't have to wait 10 years or more before any fruit is produced if possible.

Thank you.

PS. I grew up in the desert. I only know Palo Verde & Mesquite trees. :unsure:

Last edited:
You should check with your local ag extension agency for what grows best locally, or a state university that has an ag dept. I bought a Royal Poinciana tree from mgonline.com (tropicals only), it arrived in great condition and lasted 3 years in the ground. It was not meant to be, trying to grow a zone 10 tree in zone 9a. First good freeze and it was a goner...

You might do an online check to see what trees are threatened with bugs and diseases in your area. Years ago I planted an ash tree in my back yard. It was growing into a beautiful tree until the ash borer killed it. I've heard there is a new bug that will be wiping out maple trees.