Anyone else having a bad....year!!??

GregInAtl

I always heard bad things happen in 3s. This has been a year of crap. After catchin my cheating wife and divorce this year, my dad having heart trouble, I rely on recreation to recover mentally....right?!
Well I took our ole reliable '96 Bass Cat boat to the lake this morning at about 5:45, made it 5 miles out and kaboom. Blown motor. 2 hrs of trolling later, back on the trailer, back home. I removed spark plug cyl #1 to find aluminum all over it. When the head was removed check out what I had;

Attachments

• Merc1.jpeg
    Merc1.jpeg
    20.6 KB · Views: 421
  • merc2.jpeg
    merc2.jpeg
    20.2 KB · Views: 421
  • merc3.jpeg
    merc3.jpeg
    16.3 KB · Views: 420
  • merc4.jpeg
    merc4.jpeg
    8.4 KB · Views: 416
Yea i feel you 1. slid wife's suv into a light pole in the snow broke the rear axle and body damage 2. cut my left hand with a knife cutting 2 tendons and the nerves in the hand month and a half and still no movement or feeling and out of work going broke 3. wife was driving the GN parks it and opens the dr. door hitting a guy on a bike bending the bottom of the door:mad: and denting it so yea my year sucks too i don't know if it can get any worse

You really don't want me to chime in but it has been a bad year for most of us it seems.

Piston got super hot huh. Maybe oil starvation? Were the other cylinders good?

Yeah all others checked out fine, so either the carb ran that cyl lean, or oil starved from the pump....but the others in that bank were cool. The whol ething will be rebuilt tip to tail to be sure...and that cyl is getting .040 over it looks. Yikes!

I understand, I wanted to take a dump today but I knew I'd only backlash the toilet paper. Maybe tomorrow.

New position at work not what I expected.
Had a faulty heart valve replaced. (Chest cracked)
IRS letter arrived 3 weeks ago stating I owe them thousands.

New position at work not what I expected.
Had a faulty heart valve replaced. (Chest cracked)
IRS letter arrived 3 weeks ago stating I owe them thousands.

You in Mexico or NM? If in the country of Mexico you don't have to pay taxes if you're out of the country for more than 9 months. Federal law.:biggrin:

Fuel Starvation.....

Been around outboard repair for quit a while so I’ve seen a lot that looks like yours. I’m placing bets on gas gelled in injectors or jets and you ran a cylinder lean. Two words of advice “fuel stabilizer”

Sleeve it and a new piston and you’ll be back up and running.

Fuel Starvation.....

Been around outboard repair for quit a while so I’ve seen a lot that looks like yours. I’m placing bets on gas gelled in injectors or jets and you ran a cylinder lean. Two words of advice “fuel stabilizer”

Sleeve it and a new piston and you’ll be back up and running.

I cant imagine how it gelled, Maybe over time but its out every week or so, and has stabil in it occasionally (The longest break we take is 2 -3 months but thats June, July and Aug). I agree it looks like fuel starvation, a month prior to this we had the carbs rebuilt after the paper baffles had been completely worn thru and was causing poor cranking and idle. Is this still from that?!

How about a bad month July-August....
Emergency surgury to have a right hemi colectomy because I threw a clot from A. smoking, B. Stress, C. All the above. Split 12 inches on my belly 30 seconds after the surgeon discovered it was NOT hernia related. Dead bowl with massive infection involving everything on the right side. Lucky note: found a mass in the colon ...possible cancer, thus the colon removal. (pics upon request)Awaiting results of pathology for chemo treatment. Lost 20 lbs in two weeks, returned to hospital because my intestines decided to go back to sleep (they apparently do that when they lay on your chest for inspection inch by inch) During the first week stay wife gets hit by a drunk driver in her STS on the way home from a visit, AND the 60 y.o. dude tries to claim she hit him AND tried hitting on her (BIG mistake on his part) My DTS and the wifes Tahoe got egged two nights before all this fun started.More stuff within this 3 week window of my life but hey, the drugs are kicking in again and we all have problems don't we:) Good things... 35 years of smoking and I quit that moment they said it was smoking related. I've been told by all Drs. that if they hadn't known me to smoke they couldn't tell. Physically better than most 25 y.o. men at my age of 47:biggrin: Drunk hits my wife and only causes vehicle damage instead of killing someone down the road.

How about a bad month July-August....
Emergency surgury to have a right hemi colectomy because I threw a clot from A. smoking, B. Stress, C. All the above. Split 12 inches on my belly 30 seconds after the surgeon discovered it was NOT hernia related. Dead bowl with massive infection involving everything on the right side. Lucky note: found a mass in the colon ...possible cancer, thus the colon removal. (pics upon request)Awaiting results of pathology for chemo treatment. Lost 20 lbs in two weeks, returned to hospital because my intestines decided to go back to sleep (they apparently do that when they lay on your chest for inspection inch by inch) During the first week stay wife gets hit by a drunk driver in her STS on the way home from a visit, AND the 60 y.o. dude tries to claim she hit him AND tried hitting on her (BIG mistake on his part) My DTS and the wifes Tahoe got egged two nights before all this fun started.More stuff within this 3 week window of my life but hey, the drugs are kicking in again and we all have problems don't we:) Good things... 35 years of smoking and I quit that moment they said it was smoking related. I've been told by all Drs. that if they hadn't known me to smoke they couldn't tell. Physically better than most 25 y.o. men at my age of 47:biggrin: Drunk hits my wife and only causes vehicle damage instead of killing someone down the road.

Wow that's a lot to have to go through hang TOUGH.

I've smoked for 20 years and know I need to quit, I have even tried 3 times. One time I had it licked as I had stopped for 6 months, then 2 weeks and last time 3 weeks. It's a hard addiction to quit. Any advice other than scared straight?

I can't give you any Scott. I smoke myself and the longest I ever quit was about 7 months. I had a (so I thought) understanding girlfriend at the time and she helped me with substitution addiction but there were complications to this. One of the reasons I'm not married I'm sorry to say.

Some advice coming from another former smoker here..

I had a good friend at work quit with me. I switched my shift times so I wouldn't be on break with a bunch of other smokers. No smoking in the car (except the tires...), no smoking in the house (got really cold having to go outside in the winter...). It takes a bunch of things.. there isn't a magical answer or cure.
Just cut back how many, little bit by little bit. Trying to stop all at once wont work for most people.
Been smoke free (my co-worker Chris, too) for 14 months.