Anyone else getting these e-mails from "gnttype-webmaster"?

Buick From Hell

sixey
Staff member
Seems gnttype.org has been hijacked, or spoofed or whatever, cuz I KNOW this crap isn't actually coming from them directly!

The attachment is a screen capture of the actual e-mail. This is the second one I've gotten in 2 days, the first had totally different text, otherwise it was identical.

The scary part, is scanning the files with Norton shows them as clean...but I'm still not about to open the zip file! (the JPEG file is just the phony Norton logo in the e-mail)

Just wondering if anyone else has gotten any of these? And, to let Scott, Ken and everyone else know about it...

Attachments

• gnttypemail.jpg
    gnttypemail.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 88
Here's a screen capture of the 'message source, in case that matters to anyone:

Attachments

• gnttypesource.jpg
    gnttypesource.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 71
The GNTTYPE e-mail server had been locked down for years, that is, the mailing list was never hit with spam. Unfortunately, the moderator address was somewhat "left open" to ensure that people that needed to get in touch with the moderators, could. As such, the moderators/webmasters of the GNTTYPE site were always getting tons of spam that the e-mail list receipients were not (via the gnttype server).

Now here we are years later and that addy gnttype-webmaster has been around for at least 7 years and the practice of spoofing (a spammer trick) is proliferating.

To make things easy, unless you are a moderator and/or webmaster of GNTTYPE, you should delete any e-mail you receive from this address. If you ask the moderators or webmaster a question, you will receive a text reply. There will never be a file attachment.

Wierd.

I got an e-mail today like this:

Subject: Symantec AVF detected a repairable/quarantined virus in a message you sent

Body:Subject of the message: Do you?
Recipient of the message: Ken Mosher

I recognize Ken's name of course, but he's not in my address book and I haven't sent him anything. Must be another spoofing thing. :rolleyes: