ANYBODY USE THESE LED HEADLITES?

I just ordered the LED headlights listed in the OP. I expect to be satisfied, but I'll post back one way or the other once I've installed them and checked them out.

Please do. I'd like to see better at night, especially at the track. The old eyes aren't what they used to be.

I just ordered the LED headlights listed in the OP. I expect to be satisfied, but I'll post back one way or the other once I've installed them and checked them out.
Right on! Looking forward to your testimonial, Boxcars.

This is what that style of LED looks like in the projector housings on our 2013 Ford Explorer.
This is the LED's on high at 10 ft. on the garage door, just imagine how big the dark spots are at 400 ft.
IMG_3305.JPG

This is 35w HID's on high at 10 ft. on the garage door. Notice the bright spot in the center which lights up the road far enough to see freckles on a deer, well, very nice beam pattern anyway.
IMG_3316.JPG

Last edited:
Looks like the projecter lens are a bad choice for that led style for sure.

I don't know about LEDs but kirban sells a headlight upgrade kit. Plug and play, hardest part was removing the old headlights. They're bright

Here's the JW Speaker LED Projectors , from about 15ft to 20ft away from my garage door.
High Beam & Low Beam shots....you can see the sharp cut off and how wide and full the light beam is (No dark spots with these).
Lighting output for night driving is "Unreal" and really lights up the road ahead.
This lighting is simply the best that I've ever had the opportunity to drive behind and I mean in any car (new or old).

Attachments

• JW Speaker Hi Beams.jpg
    JW Speaker Hi Beams.jpg
    417.1 KB · Views: 153
  • JW Speaker Low Beams.jpg
    JW Speaker Low Beams.jpg
    620.1 KB · Views: 159
sorry, but $1000 for headlights? not gonna happen,
I ordering some "Hella" glass H4 type headlights,
will try different LED bulbs, for pattern and illumination.
will have less than 200 into it, total.

Here's the JW Speaker LED Projectors , from about 15ft to 20ft away from my garage door.
High Beam & Low Beam shots....you can see the sharp cut off and how wide and full the light beam is (No dark spots with these).
Lighting output for night driving is "Unreal" and really lights up the road ahead.
This lighting is simply the best that I've ever had the opportunity to drive behind and I mean in any car (new or old).
Are cars coming at you gettng blinded and flashing their lights at you? Those do look really really bright.

sorry, but $1000 for headlights? not gonna happen,
I ordering some "Hella" glass H4 type headlights,
will try different LED bulbs, for pattern and illumination.
will have less than 200 into it, total.
Please keep us updated on your findings. I do like the black housings, and performance of the JW lights, but I am also interested in other options that perform well, and cost 1/5 of the JW stuff.

Are cars coming at you gettng blinded and flashing their lights at you? Those do look really really bright.

Nope, the Projector LED light does not shine in the eyes of oncoming drivers as the nice crisp cut off is a sharp defined line and is designed to guard against this type of thing.
Previously I had some Hella e-code housings (H4's & H1's) with the H4 running HID bulbs with the anti glare shield, the high beam H1's were fit with 100watt bulbs. Of course a custom wiring harness fed directly from the battery with dual fuses and relays was required. Much less $ than the LED Projectors, but not even close with the lighting output.
We all spend a tone of $ on these cars and I can safely say that most if it is not really a necessity.
Guess it depends where your priorities lie......I chose to take the hit on the lights and don't regret it.
I have some pics of the LED Projectors installed on one side of the car & Hella H4 with HID / H1 100watt on the other side.
You will be surprised at the differences. Will post pics later tonight.

You need to be careful with H4 headlight housings. The original H4 bulb directs the low beam ONLY to the upper half of the lamp housing, with a slight angle so that the light spreads to the fresnel diffuser on the one side of the lamp housing to illuminate the right shoulder of the road. A properly designed HID bulb will only light the upper half of the reflector in the housing for low beam, and the entire reflector, up, down left and right, for high beam operation. Years ago I designed a special billet shield to be used with the D2S standard HID capsule, and it did a phenomenal job, keeping glare from the oncoming traffic and all of the light directly below the sharp horizontal line in the center of the lamp housing.

Also, the horizontal position of the light source is critical to the housing working properly, with even distribution. Notice the arc "bead" on the image below, which is located in exactly the right place with reference to the mounting flange, to make the H4 housing light evenly.
adapterview.jpg

The Chinese lights spray light all over the road, having cold spots within the beam, so beware.

The ideal LED bulb would be able to spread light around the circumference evenly on high, partially on low, with a separate sets of LEDs for high and low beams. Don't know if that exists, though....

Nope, the Projector LED light does not shine in the eyes of oncoming drivers as the nice crisp cut off is a sharp defined line and is designed to guard against this type of thing.
Previously I had some Hella e-code housings (H4's & H1's) with the H4 running HID bulbs with the anti glare shield, the high beam H1's were fit with 100watt bulbs. Of course a custom wiring harness fed directly from the battery with dual fuses and relays was required. Much less $ than the LED Projectors, but not even close with the lighting output.
We all spend a tone of $ on these cars and I can safely say that most if it is not really a necessity.
Guess it depends where your priorities lie......I chose to take the hit on the lights and don't regret it.
I have some pics of the LED Projectors installed on one side of the car & Hella H4 with HID / H1 100watt on the other side.
You will be surprised at the differences. Will post pics later tonight.
Very much looking forward to that....

John,

I did follow your recommendations and previous Hybrid Hella E code H4 Housings and the HID lighting utilized D2S Phillips bulbs 4200K along with your billet diffuser shield (anti glare shield).
Here some pics of the LED Projectors (left side) and the Hella E code H4 housings with Phillips D2S 4200K bulb , your anti glare shield with 35 Watt electronic ballasts. Note: these pics were taken in my garage very close to the wall.....maybe 30" away.
This set up was miles better than the stock sealed beam headlights.

I thought the lighting output was very good, however when I installed the Projector LED's I couldn't believe the improved difference.

I think these pictures speak for themselves.

Attachments

• projector LED Hi vs Hella H4 HID and Hella H1 High Beams.jpg
    projector LED Hi vs Hella H4 HID and Hella H1 High Beams.jpg
    459.6 KB · Views: 146
  • projector LED vs Hella H4 HID low beam 2.jpg
    projector LED vs Hella H4 HID low beam 2.jpg
    487.1 KB · Views: 158
  • projector led vs Hella H4 HID low beam1.jpg
    projector led vs Hella H4 HID low beam1.jpg
    512.8 KB · Views: 140
You need to be careful with H4 headlight housings. The original H4 bulb directs the low beam ONLY to the upper half of the lamp housing, with a slight angle so that the light spreads to the fresnel diffuser on the one side of the lamp housing to illuminate the right shoulder of the road. A properly designed HID bulb will only light the upper half of the reflector in the housing for low beam, and the entire reflector, up, down left and right, for high beam operation. Years ago I designed a special billet shield to be used with the D2S standard HID capsule, and it did a phenomenal job, keeping glare from the oncoming traffic and all of the light directly below the sharp horizontal line in the center of the lamp housing.

Also, the horizontal position of the light source is critical to the housing working properly, with even distribution. Notice the arc "bead" on the image below, which is located in exactly the right place with reference to the mounting flange, to make the H4 housing light evenly.
View attachment 292183

The Chinese lights spray light all over the road, having cold spots within the beam, so beware.

The ideal LED bulb would be able to spread light around the circumference evenly on high, partially on low, with a separate sets of LEDs for high and low beams. Don't know if that exists, though....

I believe they do exist: JW Speaker 4"x6" LED Projectors in Low Beam and also High Beam Headlights

Just a thought.....

I have seen (Not necessarily Turbo Buicks) at least 10 Ebay headlights = "I saved a dollar and had a $5000 wire fire"........

Now, buying from a reputable TB.com vendor here, you are far less likely to experience the same result.

Buyer beware!

Last edited:
Good to see LEDs up against HID's. The arc from the HID has incredible penetrating power, but LED's have come a long way since the first LED headlights with all the lenses and individual chips.

We supply electrical wiring for municipal vehicles and when they switched over to LED headlamps, they discovered a bad thing; the LEDs don't melt the ice and snow collecting on the lamps because of reduced heat. The halogen lights did a good job of melting the ice. So, it looks like LEDs will work but heaters are needed to prevent ice buildup in bad weather.