ANYBODY USE THESE LED HEADLITES?

I edited post #26 with a photo to show the comparison between OP LED's vs. 35w HID's in the projector headlights of a 2013 Ford Explorer as to not derail future updates by Boxcars.

On the installation, they are "plug and play" as far as electrical, but I did have to modify the stainless headlight frame and make the hole in the bucket housing larger to accomodate the ass end of the bulb.

I finally had an opportunity to use my new LED headlights last night. I would rate these particular LED headlights as an excellent choice. Inexpensive compared to others and stock appearing, but, bright, white, and illuminate the road ahead very well, and yet unoffensive to oncoming drivers. The original halogens are simply obsolete. There are a couple issues I discovered this past week. The plug wiring is backwards. Yes, just plug in, but when low beam is selected, the high beams are engaged. For right now, I unplugged the original center hi-beams until I get around to reversing the GN's power supply wiring to the LEDs. Also, when selecting hi-beam on the LED lamps alone, with the centers disconnected, it doesn't add additional lighting to the road ahead. It just illuminates about 10' up in the air, and does not seem nearly as bright as the low beams, which of course remain on. However, if you walk around the front of the car with the hi-beams on, they're blinding. With them off, not offensive at all.

So, bottom line is this. If you're like me, and were confused about these new style beams, be confused no more. You can upgrade to these particular LEDs without spending a lot of money and also be satisfied with the substantial improvement over stock lighting.

Attachments

• Picture 081.jpg
    Picture 081.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 212
I finally had an opportunity to use my new LED headlights last night. I would rate these particular LED headlights as an excellent choice. Inexpensive compared to others and stock appearing, but, bright, white, and illuminate the road ahead very well, and yet unoffensive to oncoming drivers. The original halogens are simply obsolete. There are a couple issues I discovered this past week. The plug wiring is backwards. Yes, just plug in, but when low beam is selected, the high beams are engaged. For right now, I unplugged the original center hi-beams until I get around to reversing the GN's power supply wiring to the LEDs. Also, when selecting hi-beam on the LED lamps alone, with the centers disconnected, it doesn't add additional lighting to the road ahead. It just illuminates about 10' up in the air, and does not seem nearly as bright as the low beams, which of course remain on. However, if you walk around the front of the car with the hi-beams on, they're blinding. With them off, not offensive at all.

So, bottom line is this. If you're like me, and were confused about these new style beams, be confused no more. You can upgrade to these particular LEDs without spending a lot of money and also be satisfied with the substantial improvement over stock lighting.
Have you had a chance to rewire so the low beams work correctly? I'm curious if you were to run 4 of these LED lights, would you leave the low beam feed off the high beam so they would be not light until the high beam is activated?
I've been contemplating these housing:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4x6-H4651-4...8b8bc15&pid=100005&rk=2&rkt=6&sd=221511217231
Then going with 4 LEDs. I haven't found a dedicated high beam LED for the center lights, just dual high/low. I thought I saw a kit from Piaa that had 2 high/lows and 2 highs that would be great for us but can't seem to find the kit again.

Well I went ahead and bought the low beams, and installed them today. I am very impressed with the output and will say that I will be getting the high beams as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the wiring reversed like Boxcars was?

Yup I have the black housings. Just so expensive I have to wait til the funds are available

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The plug wiring is backwards. Yes, just plug in, but when low beam is selected, the high beams are engaged.

I wondered about this as the Hella H4's came with some adapters. I made a headlight "hot wire" harness when I installed the headlights and didn't use them.
I have since removed the extra wiring and have installed similar LED's as the OP.
I have not used them yet so I can't add any info on that, but when looking at the low beam connector on the car I swapped the top terminal and the one on the right to make them work right.
Maybe this will help.
IMG_3335.JPG

Last edited:
Have you had a chance to rewire so the low beams work correctly? I'm curious if you were to run 4 of these LED lights, would you leave the low beam feed off the high beam so they would be not light until the high beam is activated?
I've been contemplating these housing:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4x6-H4651-4652-4656-4666-Hi-Low-Semi-Seal-Chrome-Projector-Headlights-Full-Set/221511317772?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=2&asc=39107&meid=e6550ff35b914163ab8724b398b8bc15&pid=100005&rk=2&rkt=6&sd=221511217231
Then going with 4 LEDs. I haven't found a dedicated high beam LED for the center lights, just dual high/low. I thought I saw a kit from Piaa that had 2 high/lows and 2 highs that would be great for us but can't seem to find the kit again.

I have not yet bothered to reverse the wiring on the low beam plug as illustrated immediately above. If I were to purchase two more of these for use as hi-beams, I would just use the low beam in the unit, as the hi-beam by aiming them to blind.
yup.gif

Last edited:
It will be a while, the T is in storage and it's snowing. I will report back when I some good pictures to show how they look.

The Truck-Lite Led headlights are in. No mods needed, plug and play. They look very cool. I don't have any pictures yet, the weather sucks. I will get some good pictures soon. From just turning them on in the garage with less than 2' from my roll away the light is very clean and white. Shows way stronger than the stock lights ever did, even in daylight with a shop light on. There is a nice clean cut off of the light too. Looks like my passenger high beam needs adjusting. I don't have a good wall to shine them on to test. I'll have to find a good building with a flat lot to shine them on at night to adjust. So far I'm pleased.

Thanks for updating his thread Can wait to see the pics. When you do...could you recap the part# , price, and the source. Much appreciated!

Unfortunately, the LED headlights I linked to in the OP seem to be no longer available. I paid about $69 each set, shipped, for two different sets, but now they are listed for ... get this ... $379. :eek:

Glad I got in under the wire. :)