Any users running the vintage Accel DFI system?

PaulRV6

I bought this back in late 1990 to early 2000 for my hot air GN. Is there any updates on it or is it considered obsolete and not worth using? I have an old computer that will still bring up the accel calmap software so I can use it. Just wondering if anyone else is using it and how it is working for them? Thanks

paul

Just my $.02 worth...
I had one. Was the worst system I've ever worked with.
At 1 time, one of the TB vendors was taking them in trade.
He got so many he quit taking them.

I ran one. I liked it. Its not that hard to program if you have a wide band. It doesnt play well with low ohm injectors tho.

Its not cutting edge by any stretch of the imagination but what works then still works.

Last edited:
My son has an older engine management system, made by Speed Pro I believe. He never races the car or plays with the parameters of the system and it seems to work ok. It's not the same as the Accel DFi isn't it?
Claude.

My son has an older engine management system, made by Speed Pro I believe. He never races the car or plays with the parameters of the system and it seems to work ok. It's not the same as the Accel DFi isn't it?
Claude.

Thats the first generation FAST system. It was sold under the Speedpro name for a little while.

I ran a Gen 7 for many years on many cars and have been pretty damn fast with it and made a shit ton of HP with it. Excellent system that was beyond its time. The early ones prior to about 2002-3 had some issues but after that they got a lot better . They offered significantly more turning options than most systems of that era including the old Speedpro or Classic FAST which at the time is what I switched from. I wouldn't mess with it if it wasn't at least a V 4.0 which should be on the label on the back side of the ECU. There is a FB group Norbs runs that has a lot of info. I posted all the original software up there too, which is also really hard to find these days.

The DFI worked great but there is no data logging to it at all. So you are trying to read the O2 readings on the fly and you cant.

The big hangup was timing control. There was nothing to accurately set timing relative to the ECM and the motor. So there was a fudge factor of about 6 degrees you had to keep in mind or you were burning pistons real fast.

The ECU GN is the best $2000 you will spend for the car.