Any tips for buying a car from across the country?

budget_crx

I'm going to be buying a car from the west coast but I've never had a car shipped to me before, whats the best process in dealing with transfering the title etc.? I'm thinking of sending a signed bill of sale first, then overnighting a bank check/ title. Would this be a good Idea, if not how have you done it?
Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
-Jake

Get a video of the car. Once you are satisfied have the seller fax a copy of his DL. Try to get a home and work # also..not just a cell. A carfax and any other means to verify he is the owner as well.

Tell him you prefer that the shipping company picks vehicle up at the address thats on the DL.

Once he receives payment have him overnight the signed title and one set of keys.

Try to use a shipper that you can track online.

Simple!

I do not know if banks do this still?:confused:

I would have your bank send a draft to his bank. When received at his bank, they can verify funds, notarize the title/bill of sale and return it to you. This is, of course, when you are fully satisified with the condition and shape of the car. :)

Give me a ticket on a aeroplane. Ain't got time to catch a fast train. Lonely days are gone I'm a driven home.
My baby is letting me drive a GN......:biggrin:

Sorry I just had to.

Oh, and your bank can wire the $. Fly out early Sat. am. Or take a Fri off. Look at car, call bank to wire funds.
He confirms funds to his bank, loads up car. You fly back.
I had the gentlemen meet me at the airport with the car I purchased and drove it home from there. All after several members on here confirmed it was all it was advertised.

1. Have the vehicle inspected, many services out there, cost roughly $150 to $300.
2. Send payment directly from bank to bank (account to account) electronically. Have your Bank Branch Manager assist you.
3. Have him send the signed title and one set of keys overnight FedEx delivery.
4. Use a shipper that you know is good through referrals. If you can't get one within your own network, use Dependable Auto Shippers as a 2nd option. Don't use an unknown or small company, you will regret it.

Yea, don't buy it unless u've seen it. I have heard a few horror stories including one of my own so I would look at it, pay for it, and then drop it off for shipping. That would be what I would do in the future for sure.