Any of you guys (autocrossers) run into trans problems?

Rafs-T-Type

Not so Senior Member
It seems like the automatic constantly shifting gears for an autocross or similar event would really heat the trans up. Are you guys running into problems with this? Are you doing anything to keep it in check or monitor it?

We used to use an auto in the Corvettes with a big cooler and a manual valve body. Never really had an issue with it but it was a 3 speed TH400.:)

It seems like the automatic constantly shifting gears for an autocross or similar event would really heat the trans up. Are you guys running into problems with this? Are you doing anything to keep it in check or monitor it?
I have had no issues with my 2004R trans and I have been autocrossing gn's for years now.... The one in my car now is a mild build of trans parts and a Huge B&M trans cooler with a 12" "S" blade fan set up with a thermal switch so it automatically turns on the fan @ 170 deg.....

Plus, the key is to leave it in L2 when on a small short course or wherever depending on the course and how it's set up.....

That's what I did Scot, when I was running my Camaro in the twisties. I had found that most courses were tight enough that leaving the shifter in 2nd was more than enough. Oh, I might have hit some high revs at the end of some of the longer straights, but seldome over 5,500.

Without adding a trans cooler, you will burn the fluid in just a few events. You may also want to invest in the deep pan and 700-R4 filter to help keep the pickup from getting uncovered.

I autox my buick a few times a year and have had no problems with my trans rebuild. The new (1 year old now) trans is the best part of my car, I love the stall and shifts. I put a 11x11 super cooler, remote spin on filter, and deep pan. I hope it lasts!

I rode in two different autocross cars at Run thru the Hills in Tennessee last month. Both had automatics and did fine. While manuals seem to be the norm in the very fastest cars, they do demand a lot more from the drivers when matching rpm when downshifting. You know, the "Heel and Toe" deal! Course, if you want to be the top dog at a regional event such a RTTH, best get a car with a much lower center of gravity and very wide tires on all 4 corners such as a Camaro, Corvettte, or 33 Coupe.
Conrad