Any members available in el paso area that can assist

Not a stupid question by any means, checked fuses many times and all are good. The 42 code hasnt come back since replacing the coil pack last week. With a volt meter i probed each cylinder plug wire one by one to see if i could get any of them to show any signs of juice hitting the spark plug during cranking. On cylinders 1 and 5 i managed to get a very small reading of voltage to display off the plug wire connected to the coil pack. The others didnt register anything, which has me a bit concerned.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Ummm...not sure about the spark plug wire test...but ok.

Listen
Do you have the manual on pdf?
There is not a whole lot in there that hasn't been already covered
But...
Sections A3 will take you through a NO START flow chart - methodically.
I realize you might be retracing your steps - but it might be worth it to download it and pretend as if you just got the car into the shop with a NO START condition and you know nothing.
It will make you double check things in the proper sequence.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a stupid question by any means, checked fuses many times and all are good. The 42 code hasnt come back since replacing the coil pack last week. With a volt meter i probed each cylinder plug wire one by one to see if i could get any of them to show any signs of juice hitting the spark plug during cranking. On cylinders 1 and 5 i managed to get a very small reading of voltage to display off the plug wire connected to the coil pack. The others didnt register anything, which has me a bit concerned.

There are real experts on here about the coil back - but for the three coils - it's 1-4, 2-5; & 3-6 - so not sure if your measurement means anything.
And what has ME concerned is the lack of any injector pulse.
Or spark / coil firing.
That means there is something bigger going on.
Or small - however it turns out.

And you swapped out:
1 - The ECM with a known good one - yes?
2- The coil pack with a known good one - yes?
3 - The ignition module with a known good one - yes?
4 - And a MAF just a while ago
Man - that eliminates alot of major things. Assuming those three or four pieces are A-OK.

All you're lacking is a Cam Sensor for the round tripper.

Gotta be something simple - or - you have introduced other problems in the swapping - or one of these "known good" units - ain't
Got to be something like that
Or you're totally overlooking a simple wiring connection somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
And you swapped out:
1 - The ECM with a known good one - yes?
2- The coil pack with a known good one - yes?
3 - The ignition module with a known good one - yes?
4 - And a MAF just a while ago
Man - that eliminates alot of major things. Assuming those three or four pieces are A-OK.

All you're lacking is a Cam Sensor for the round tripper.

Gotta be something simple - or - you have introduced other problems in the swapping - or one of these "known good" units - ain't
Got to be something like that
Or you're totally overlooking a simple wiring connection somewhere.

1- yes
2- yes
3- yes
4- yes

I don't have the manual on pdf, i believe it got posted somewhere on this forum or one of the sister turbo buick sites. I am gonna hunt for it & gonna download it. Going to make sure i got a copy of it also handy to open up on this ipad mini, so i can pull it up on it and not lug a laptop with me that doesnt get as much battery life as this ipad mini does in a day. The ipad mini weighs alot less than a laptop does and does almost anything my windows 7 laptop can do. Thankfully there are wi-fi connections near where she is still parked at, as alot of times the app or site doesn't always load up on my phone.

Anywho, even though it'd be some retracing steps again; i will look over the manual and treat it as if she just got dropped off in my lap with the no start issue. I know the plug wire test was alittle reaching out there, but i was pretty much trying to verify any type of spark or lack of spark to narrow down where the problem is. Outside of pulling off the front timing cover to see if any teeth got jumped over and swapping out a cam sensor to swap in another, i have as you said eliminated alot of major things. I did replace the crankshaft sensor as well in the last week or so, made sure bracket was tight as it was alittle loose and the metal piece that passes between the ears had nicked the old crankshaft sensor on 2 of the ears because of that. I made sure it was lined up properly and wasnt rubbing.

I'll feel better if i can get her going without having to get her looked at by a shop and end up with a potential big bill. I know owning a turbo buick means at some point money is gonna be spent; just would prefer it to being on regular spring cleaning, tires, brakes, oil changes, tranny filter & fluid changes, flushing of cooling system when needed and have the money not necessarily going to someone that doesn't really know these rare ahead of their own time tempermental beasts from the 80's.

Last edited:
Just downloaded the service manual iso a member posted a link to, looking thru it now to find the section with the troubleshooting tree charts for various symptoms, Will update progress shortly.

Last edited:
In case anyone needs to find section A3 in the service manual easier & quicker, it's in the sec06-e pdf file of the scanned in service manual. It begins around page 40 or 41 if i recall correctly, section B that follows after in the same pdf file ( the pdf file this is contained in is 208 pages long ) has alot of good troubleshooting information in it as well. Thought i'd share that info as it was alittle bit of reading the other parts of the service manual to finally come across that very section with the detailed troubleshooting trees and charts info for our turbo beasts. It'll help save anyone else some time that is trying to troubleshoot various issues using the service manual.