Any good hyd roller lifters other than clicky Comps?

SPOOLFOOL2

Fiberglass bumper filler dude. (949) 433-1257
Staff member
Did a search, but could'nt find anything. I've got Comps in the car right now and they set off the knock detector at anything over 5200 rpms, It doesnt mater how much boost I'm running, or even if the car's in park. I really dont want to run thicker oil or unplug my knock detector. Anyone have any luck with any other hyd roller lifters? Or modify the Comp link bar to not be so sloppy?

Thanks Mike Barnard

I am not a fan of Comp lifters but

IMO you have other issues. Not related but on a side note I just wasted lots of time trying to talk to some one @ Comp about sticking 853. Only way to get through to someone was to say I wanted to place an order. Answered right away. Might try Crane. Not sure if theirs are made by a different company or not. Comp does not make theirs.

I bought my Comp roller set-up used. I was told the lifters were noisy in the engine they came out of. They're quiet in my engine. I did find though that the other engine had 3 different length push rods. I have the correct length push rods for my set-up. Maybe that made the difference. I don't know if this could help you. Just my experience with them.

I bought my Comp roller set-up used. I was told the lifters were noisy in the engine they came out of. They're quiet in my engine. I did find though that the other engine had 3 different length push rods. I have the correct length push rods for my set-up. Maybe that made the difference. I don't know if this could help you. Just my experience with them.

I've got T@D adj rocker arms. so preload was all the same. I even tryed different preloads. I know that the tolerances on Comps arnt very good. I've heard storys of the hight of the lifters being .080" different from lifter to lifter. This was measured from the bottom of roller to the pushrod cup. So, if you had stock style, non adj rockers, you'd need all different length pushrods to get the preloads correct:mad: . I, along with many others, have had brand new Comp lifters that wont pump up. I'm guessing that Crower has theres made by the same Co. There having the exact same problems. I've had it with these things:mad: . I'm not looking for cheap. I'm looking for GOOD.

I had my comp 853's to 6k rpm about 6x today. Never got one degree of retard. The biggest problem is the lifter bores that are not precision machined.

I had my comp 853's to 6k rpm about 6x today. Never got one degree of retard. The biggest problem is the lifter bores that are not precision machined.

I wonder if the weight of oil makes a difference in the click? I'm running Royal Purple 10-30. What are you running?

I wonder if the weight of oil makes a difference in the click? I'm running Royal Purple 10-30. What are you running?

Ive run everything from 5W-30 to 15w-40. It never changed anything. It has 10W-30 in it now. Higher than stock lift cams almost always have some clatter.

I've found Comp's 885 race lifter to be quieter and less problematic than the 853 lifter.

K.

I've found Comp's 885 race lifter to be quieter and less problematic than the 853 lifter.

K.

Anyone know the difference between the two? Any details?

Now, maybe were getting somewhere.:)

Thanks everyone. This is good stuff. Any others?

Mike B.

I run a Comp Cams Hyd Roller, Comp lifters w/ T&D Rocker shafts. Royal Purple XPR 10w40 no problems here @ 6,300

Do they sound clicky to the ear? Are you running the #885 or the #853 lifter?

I don't know which Comp lifters I have with my Comp roller cam but my motor is quiet and has been for over 5 years. You hardly know it has a roller cam. Maybe your pushrods are too short??? Paul

Motor assembly

Any good hyd roller lifters other than clicky Comps?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did a search, but could'nt find anything. I've got Comps in the car right now and they set off the knock detector at anything over 5200 rpms, It doesnt mater how much boost I'm running, or even if the car's in park. I really dont want to run thicker oil or unplug my knock detector. Anyone have any luck with any other hyd roller lifters? Or modify the Comp link bar to not be so sloppy?

Thanks Mike Barnard

Did you put the lifters in yourself or did someone else do it ?

The reason I am asking is that I have a new set of 853's that will be going into my engine under construction. I read several postings about issues with the 853's. I mentioned this to Tom at Champion last week as we were discussing my new heads and pushrods:biggrin:. He did me a favor and contacted CompCams whom he does a lot of business with. What he told me via Comp was that you must submerse the lifters in oil and pump them up and down to bleed the air out of them before installing them in the motor. Apparently this is not in the directions sold with the 853's. If you rely on the oil pump priming to fill the lifters or placing them in oil only, this will not suffice and apparently leads to issues with the lifters.

Anyone one else heard the same story ?

That's BS

Did you put the lifters in yourself or did someone else do it ?

The reason I am asking is that I have a new set of 853's that will be going into my engine under construction. I read several postings about issues with the 853's. I mentioned this to Tom at Champion last week as we were discussing my new heads and pushrods:biggrin:. He did me a favor and contacted CompCams whom he does a lot of business with. What he told me via Comp was that you must submerse the lifters in oil and pump them up and down to bleed the air out of them before installing them in the motor. Apparently this is not in the directions sold with the 853's. If you rely on the oil pump priming to fill the lifters or placing them in oil only, this will not suffice and apparently leads to issues with the lifters.

Anyone one else heard the same story ?

I just had the same problem with a set of 853. After 3 days getting trough to Comp. --They know that many of them have machineing trash left in the body. I soaked them in lacquer thinner for a week--then oil for a week. 2 of them still would stick down when doing the priming and lifter preload on the stand. Best of luck and no I don't know what the answer is.

I just had the same problem with a set of 853. After 3 days getting trough to Comp. --They know that many of them have machineing trash left in the body. I soaked them in lacquer thinner for a week--then oil for a week. 2 of them still would stick down when doing the priming and lifter preload on the stand. Best of luck and no I don't know what the answer is.

Exact same scenario here! So the 2 that were sticking I put on a pushrod & Slowly tighten them down with the T&D rockers until it bottomed out in the lifter. Let off the pressure & did it about 5 times to each one. removed them & did it by hand in thinnners again, then in oil again about 5 more times. Put them in the car & No More Sticking! really got to Clean the well I think? For the $$$ Comp has a lot of crud in them that shouldn't be there IMO.

PS: I was going to remove the snap ring & take them apart but it was a PITA & I got nervous & stopped. That would be the ultimate way to clean them!