Any good hyd roller lifters other than clicky Comps?

I am sure TA can get more info on the lifters from MOREL....will they be superior as in more rpm befor valve float and will they be a quiter operating lifter than the CC HYD roller lifters....I think this is what we all want to know befor we start giving our orders..

Here's what I now know.

*RPM limits.
As told by Morel this morning, How much rpm a hyd lifter will handle, will very depending on spring pressures, weight of valves, retainers, rocker arms, rocker arm ratio, etc. On our engines, with 160ish lbs of spring pressure, rpms at 6200 to 6500 are not a problem. I'd say that if you plan on buzzing the poor motor higher then that, get solids.

*Quality.
This lifter is 100% made in the USA, and is already a proven lifter in other engines (not sure which) Only the link bar had to be changed to make it work in our motors. This should also keep the cost down to around what we're paying for other lifters. My car has been the test mule for the first set of these. So far, I'm very impressed.

*Do they sound quiet?
IMO they are about half as clicky as all of the comps I've heard. On my engine, if you stand in front of the car with the hood open, you can't hear any clicky sound. If you put your ear over the engine, you can hear a little clicking. Most Comps I've seen, with the hood open, the clicking is about the noisiest part of the engine.

*Do they set off the knock detector?
This is the big problem that I had with the Comps, and the reason that I started this thing in the first place. So far, on my car, I don't seem to be getting false KR any more. I'm still running the same Comp cam, pushrods, T@D rockers, and the same tune. The ONLY THING that I've changed is the lifters.

*Pushrod Length.
As said before, That will depend on your head gasket, deck hight, head mill, cam base circle, etc. I did find that the pushrod for the new lifters will need to be about 1/8" longer than the one for the Comps. If you've got lots of threads showing on top of your rocker arm jam nut, then you may be able to use the pushrods from the Comps. I was:) .

*Lifter preload as per Morel.

Iron block/iron heads =.025"
Iron block/alum heads =.035"
Alum block/alum heads=.045"
For those with T@D rockers, one full turn is .050" (so, iron block/iron heads= a half a turn).

I understand that this is a new product, and these are the findings of one person. Was told this morning, Morel has them ready to ship NOW. So, who's car wants to be test mule #2 , and post their results up here?

Happy spooling...
Mike Barnard

Test mule #2

I am ready willing and able to be the next test mule.let me know the details.

Thanks,Nick

I am ready willing and able to be the next test mule.let me know the details.

Thanks,Nick

Call TA Perf, and order a set. Let us know what you think.

I think we all would like more feedback on these.

That test lifter looks like the long SBC stock replacement for hi lift cam that they have added a link bar to.

I personally could care less as long as they work. I have had 3 engines that were so damn noisy it was unreal and some others that are livable but no one is happy with the noise. I did a solid conversion on one of them and it was much quieter than the hyd.. I sure miss the old Johnson tappet days. Those Hyd. roller lifters are quiet as a mouse.

T/A Performance listed their part number of TA V1412 in post #76. I called them on 12-2-08 and they were not yet in stock. They offered to call me when they have some to sell, and to confirm the price. I will post this info when I get it.

Mine are still going strong. Just got a new double BB turbo. Hope to tune this weekend, weather permiting.

So, has anyone else ordered (or received) a set of these yet? Any feedback? Or, am I still the only one that is running them on planet Earth:cool: .

Anyone?

spool is the valve train nice and quite and do you have any idea of the max rpm that these lifters can be run ......in short was it worth your time and money for you to change to the morels

spool is the valve train nice and quite and do you have any idea of the max rpm that these lifters can be run ......in short was it worth your time and money for you to change to the morels

Max RPM : See post # 81. I've had my engine over 6000 rpms quite a few times now. No problems. I'm going to be on the dyno Jan 31. I'll run it out to 6200 at least once or twice. I'll post results. I now have about fifteen hundred miles on these lifters. As posted earlyer, They were about half as clicky as the Comps when I first put them in. Now I'd say that they're only about 25% as loud as the Comps. So they're still getting quieter:) .

Question: Was it worth the time and money to swap? "For me", I'd say yes. I'm a picky guy. I hated haveing my car sound like it had a solid cam, and like to tune my car without the knock detector picking up the lifters. If you don't mind the noise and isues of the Comps, then leave them in. If I were going to do an engine job, or cam swap, then absolutely, I'd put them in.

Mike Barnard

Well if the CC 853's are the problem ones is their any reason you didn't use the CC 885's?

Max RPM : See post # 81. I've had my engine over 6000 rpms quite a few times now. No problems. I'm going to be on the dyno Jan 31. I'll run it out to 6200 at least once or twice. I'll post results. I now have about fifteen hundred miles on these lifters. As posted earlyer, They were about half as clicky as the Comps when I first put them in. Now I'd say that they're only about 25% as loud as the Comps. So they're still getting quieter:) .

Mike Barnard

Just curious if you used some kind of clicky meter to come up with the 50% reduction and then the later 25% reduction number.