Any good hyd roller lifters other than clicky Comps?

Comp style lifters

So, here is a question for the roller lifter gurus:
(I suppose I could start a new thread, but all the right people are here)

If I want to disassemble a Comp roller hydraulic, how do I get the plunger out past the link-bar button?

If some of the Comps are clicky, and some are not; there should be a way to figure out why (dirt, tolerances, burrs, etc.)

Thought?

Bob

You CAN'T.!! Oh you can if you grind the rivet off and then you have just as big of piece of S--T as when you started because that's just what they are.JUNK !!!

Lets not be to hard on the cc lifters ,untill the morels are proven better ,,,,I just started my car after it was parked in my heated garage for 5 days ....massive lifter noise and it went away as oil pressure guage needle swung to 65 psi ,indicating most of the lifters bleed down in the 5 days that it was parked ,,,is it caused by high spring pressure or sloppy tolerences,,wix racing filter on a turbo saver

They're Here! (MOREL part # 5393)

UPS just delivered them. Bummer though. I'm just walking out the door to go camping this weekend. I can tell you that one of the labels that they will be sold under helped with R+D and is a vender on this board. "TA Performance". Just got off the phone with Mike at TA. His part number for these lifters will be the same as his part number for the Comp hyd rollers that he will be phasing out (TA-V1412). The plan is to have these new lifters in stock within two weeks.

There will be other labels that these will be sold under. but, figured that I'd plug the guy (T.A.) that spends lots of money developing parts for our TBs first.

Happy spooling, Happy Halloween...

Results soon now:) .

Mike Barnard

That's great Mike. You know I sent a pair of these junk CC lifters back to Ed Morel a few years back and had a couple of long conversations with him about the CC lifters. Will not repeat just what was said but it wasn't good.

And as far as this statement goes; Lets not be to hard on the cc lifters ,untill the morels are proven better.

Ive' been cussing these things long before Mike got going on them with Morel.

Hell I think CC has been hard on me and ALL the guys around here that Iv'e used these junk lifters in thier engines. Iv'e only had my own intake off 5 TIMES !!!! replacing these pieces of JUNK. Iv'e siad all along if someone would come out with a KNOWN GOOD hydralic roller lifter that I'd pay $600 $700 for a set and it looks like I'll be doing just that. A BIG !!! thanks to Mike B. and Ed Morel for stepping up to the plate on this issue. I sure HOPE these Morel lifters turn out to be the answer and knowing what Ed knows about lifters I'm betting they will be great!!

First results on new lifters...

Well, I'm happy to say that it looks like we have a winner.:)

Fired the Black Brick up last night at about 9:30 with the new Morel hyd roller lifters. On first start up, they were pretty clicky for the first ten minutes. Today I put about 40 miles on the car and they seem to have settled in quite nicely. With the hood closed, you can't hear any click while standing at the front of the car, or sitting in the front seats. With the hood open, and your head over the engine, you can hear a little clicking. How much? About half as much as with the Comps. They seem to be getting quieter, the more miles that I put on them. With only 40 miles on them, I'm guessing that they may get even a bit quieter. If not, no big deal.

Now, the big question: Does the knock detector hear these things.

Left the house this morning with the laptop / Dirrect Scan plugged in and sitting next to me in the car. I was'nt really planning on flogging the new parts too hard untill I put a few more miles on them. However, as I was heading out to meet Lou (Lou's Auto) for lunch, a newish twin turbo Porsche came flying up on my @$$ while on the freeway. I was going 76 mph. As soon as traffic cleared ahead of me, I pushed record on my laptop and rolled into the go pedal. The Porsche hung with me for about three seconds, untill I was full throttle. We ran um up to 108 mph (shown on DS). In that time I put about 10 car lengths on the brattwurstmobile. The guy then faded back into traffic to sulk:cool: .

On later review of this run, I did get a 3 deg spike of KR when the trans downshifted out of overdrive. Other than that, there was no KR to 5800 rpms. This is the first time that I've been able to do this without false KR. I later backed this up with another clean full run at a little higher boost. Over the next few days, I hope to have more time to tune. But for now, I am happy to say that these new lifters have my seal of approval.

Happy spooling.

Mike Barnard

Were you able to take some pictures of them to compare to the CCs? Keep us posted on them over the next few weeks. Thanks for persuing this.

Were you able to take some pictures of them to compare to the CCs? Keep us posted on them over the next few weeks. Thanks for persuing this.

Yes.

See post #39
above.

Good to hear things worked out for you mike, I wanna put my car next to yours with hoods open and engines running next time you come out to the meeting in fullerton to compare engine noise, maybe we can get a video with sound to post here and see the difference between my clicky engine and your new quiet engine. ;) I still have the clicky CC lifters in mine but I had to install 3 sets before i found a set that wasnt bleeding down or collapsing on me right after star up.. :eek:

Happy spooling.

So from what i can gather ,,,,we will need longer or shorter push rods,,,,,will these lifters have the standard 40 thou adjustment like the 853 lifter,,,,,at what rpm can they go befor they pump up ,,,853 are around 6200 rpm if i am wrong correct me. THANKS

So from what i can gather ,,,,we will need longer or shorter push rods,,,,,will these lifters have the standard 40 thou adjustment like the 853 lifter,,,,,at what rpm can they go befor they pump up ,,,853 are around 6200 rpm if i am wrong correct me. THANKS

Pushrods will be about 1/8" longer. I was able to use my same pushrods that I had with the Comps. Preloads are being tested right now, but I'm "guessing" will be .020 - .040 . Not sure about rpm. Next time I talk to Morel, I'll ask. Right now I'm driving this car as my DD. So far I've got about 100 miles, and 5 nice runs on these thing. So far, so good.

Mike Barnard

Mike, thanks so much for your hard work here, it is much appreciated by me and I am sure others. While reading the last 2 pages here again, I had a thought... ut-oh... what are we all using for rockers with these roller lifters? The reason I ask is because we have installed so many of these cam and lifters and have had so much mixed results, I can't seem to accept that all the problem is always related to just the lifters. For example I look at the pics of the CC lifters you took out and I wonder about the wear marks I see on the side of the body, I looked at several lifters here and just don't see that same degree of wear. I also have noticed with the rockers lately the oil flow seems to be much more than what I ever noticed before... is it possible the rockers are alowing so much more flow the bleed down could be related to some of the rockers having loose clearances? It just bothers me that most of the lifters don't have a problem, yet some do.. I look back at the chinese headers and it was obvious what the short comings were.. they all sucked. Yet, with the lifters, thats not the case.. why do some guys have 1 pair of lifters bleed down and 5 sets not? Is it poor quality control? I'm not so sure.. I have pulled more than one intake after building motors here, replacing lifters with the same ones and it quieted down. I have replaced pushrod with diferent length ones and it quieted down.. there just is no definite answer to the problem I have found to work everytime. I really hope the Morels work, I'd like to see more than one test out there, as well as more time running them before making a final decision...

Got your message Mike, I'll give you a call today, it's 6am in Cal, :smile: if you want to call when you are available.. I'm here.
thanks again for your hard work,

One more thing to think about... I almost forgot to mention. A couple years ago, I freshened up my motor, the main upgrade were a new set of TD roller rockers, I had oil flow pouring out of the sides of the rockers so fast, it was filling my valve covers up faster than it could drain back down. The oil was getting sucked down the valve guides. We tried several fixes, none of what really worked including considering external oil drain backs, it just made no sense to me... never had the problem before. Finally we puled the rockers off the shafts and compared them to my older rockers, what we found was the 2 needle bearings pressed into the side of the rockers were farther apart and the oil feed hole between them was much larger and unshrouded compared to the old set. We then pressed the bearing races inward closer together covering up some of the oil hole and the bleeding stopped... just something to consider. I'm going to check a few rockers today...

Great Job to you for doing this for us!
But like Jack said it's strange that some are quiet & others loud? Mine with the TA Rockers are super quiet? Like a stock engine after about 1 min run time as its driven usually once a week only maybe 2 times some weekends. Is it ONLY the lifters fault? No matter, better quality parts are always wotrh the extra $$$ to me! Thanks Again!!

so when are these going to be availible I got my motor apart now and will befor a couple months s,So if i can get these now where do i call and who?again thanks for the in detail look at this problem.I got comps rockers and use td rockers and they click and i hate it.....

Hi Folks,
Mike gave me a call a few weeks ago after he found out that we have been working on these hyd roller lifters with the manufacturer. He was kind enough to share his collected info. Thank you Mike. The lifters will be available under TA V1412, price has not been set in stone at this time, I should know this week. We have had no preorders at this time but folks with interest should call and place an order. No moneys will be taken until the day of shipment and customers have been called. This gives us some idea of quantities needed. Any questions please feel free to call us. Thanks for your interest and support in this product.

I know they are not out to the public yet but has there been any testing done to them for EX, how much rpm can they take?

Thanks

There similar being they are both Hyd rollers lifters. Other than that I would say no.

I am sure TA can get more info on the lifters from MOREL....will they be superior as in more rpm befor valve float and will they be a quiter operating lifter than the CC HYD roller lifters....I think this is what we all want to know befor we start giving our orders..