Any good hyd roller lifters other than clicky Comps?

thank God for the boards.. I have called Comp 3xs on this problem and there motto was basically live w it.. Their tech wasnt the greatest.. I am just going through this now.. i believe they are 853s (no part # on me). Sorting this out has drove me up a wall... I emailed them again for sh!ttsz n giggles.. Hopeully I wll get somewhere.. Thx for all the research and hard work...

Got the new prototype lifter on Mon. It looks good. I'll post pics when I get a chance. Mocked it up in a block with a roller cam at Lou's shop today. So far everything looks perfect to me. Tomorrow I'll call the manufacturer with the fitting specs that he wanted (link bar bind, oil passage clearances, etc). While I was mocking up different lifters in the block today, I found somthing kind of odd. With the comp roller lifters on the base of the cam, the link bar is compressed to 0 end play , and "may" even be slightly pushing out on the lifters. "If" so, this would slightly rotate the lifters and cause them to be toe-out while rolling on the cam. If anyone can shed some light on this, that would be nice.

More to come...

Happy spooling
Mike Barnard

Mike, with the Comp lifters running the link bar to 0 end play, I'd imagine that is where the 'click' is coming from. Can't be good for the lifter. And if it is toeing the lifter, cam either.

To me this woul dbe a design issue with those particular lifters.

If anyone has their engine out and/or intake off this may be worth looking at. And if those lifters are the same way pull them and elongate the slot in the link bar.

RemoveBeforeFlight

the other thing to watch for is the body of the lifter hitting an adjacent lobe. This is what killed my 206 billet roller I believe. The adjacent lobe gave the lifter enough of a kick to twist it and break the tiebar. I think it was a source of ticking on that cam.

Bob

I have a wird issue with my engine from day one.it has a tap that only surfaces at certain loads and/or rpms.it sounds like an external lifter noise, not internal.very similar to the sound you get when you slide the lifter into the lifter bore and it hits the camshaft.

While driving the noise will surface at low load,if you accelerate it will disapear.if you decelerate it will reapear for a few seconds and disapear again.very weird.

ive had the engine apart since then and have not found anything to remedy the problem.ive change cam sensors,timing chains,double and triple checked everything.

the only thing i "have not" done is changed the lifters themselves.(853's)

at this point,any advice would be apreciated.

by the way.the engine has been running for two years now with many low 10 second to high nine second passes and it doesnt get any better or worse.

Nick,

Should have a complete set of new lifters any day now. Plan on having the car running the day after I get em. Good ,bad, or ugly, I'll post the results as I see them. I'll post as soon as I have something to tell.

The wait is killing me. I feel like a little kid on the day before Christmas, and thinking I'm getting the BB gun that I asked for.

:rolleyes: patiently waiting results.

Yea, me too.

Called last week. Was told that they had a big order that they needed to get out, and my stuff would get shipped out this Tues the 28th. As soon as I get them I'll post.

Mike Barnard

A 2-piece valvecover, one with a removable lid, sealed by an O-ring would make a solid roller easy to adjust, but with A/C and the valve covers we have to pick from its just too much pain.
Mike
86 GN
Roller cammed

A 2-piece valvecover, one with a removable lid, sealed by an O-ring would make a solid roller easy to adjust, but with A/C and the valve covers we have to pick from its just too much pain.
Mike
86 GN
Roller cammed

I could see it as being a pain to have to adjust the valves but how often do you think you might have to adjust them? Maybe once in three months? To me that's not that often. :)

I too have the comp lifters and they tick but no issues and spun the motor 6375.

Ok I have a set of clicky comps I have set them three times and still the same but it sound like it is just one or two lifters not all. Does that make sense

ok what kind of price are these protype rollers... cause i know the coms are like 400 for a set.And i know from experience one alone is like 73 bucks .are these going to be cheaper if a bunch of us pool together and buy some...Reason i ask is my motor is apart right now and if these are availble i am buying a set and elimineting comps bs...

I have a wird issue with my engine from day one.it has a tap that only surfaces at certain loads and/or rpms.it sounds like an external lifter noise, not internal.very similar to the sound you get when you slide the lifter into the lifter bore and it hits the camshaft.

While driving the noise will surface at low load,if you accelerate it will disapear.if you decelerate it will reapear for a few seconds and disapear again.very weird.

ive had the engine apart since then and have not found anything to remedy the problem.ive change cam sensors,timing chains,double and triple checked everything.

the only thing i "have not" done is changed the lifters themselves.(853's)

at this point,any advice would be apreciated.

by the way.the engine has been running for two years now with many low 10 second to high nine second passes and it doesnt get any better or worse.

Same deal with mine, put in a new set of rollers, improved, but still cannot run an audible knock sensor on the street, I see the Caspers light show randomly under light cruise.
Mike
86 GN

ok what kind of price are these protype rollers... cause i know the coms are like 400 for a set.And i know from experience one alone is like 73 bucks .are these going to be cheaper if a bunch of us pool together and buy some...Reason i ask is my motor is apart right now and if these are availble i am buying a set and elimineting comps bs...

Price will be set by the dealer. I was told that the cost should be close to what were used to paying for other hyd rollers. Just keep in mind that these will be made in the USA and should be better quality. I would think that they would cost a little more.

Mike B.

Ok I have a set of clicky comps I have set them three times and still the same but it sound like it is just one or two lifters not all. Does that make sense

Yes, it makes sense.
Wecome to our world.
A clicky lifter should'nt hurt your motor. It just sounds like cr@p, and will probably set off your knock detector. If you've got new lifters, and one or more are makeing a distinctive, metal to metal clacking sound, then you're lifter(s) is not pumping up. If in doubt, get a stethascope. If you've got a lifter that wont pump up, it needs to get changed out. Comp and Crower get there hyd rollers from the same place and are having the same problems. Got a Email last week from someone that said 5 of 12 new Comp hyd rollers wouldnt pump up:eek: .

Those are not good odds.

Mike B.

Looking at that machined lift body, i would think you will have a drop in oil pressure, its alot wider then the other two bodies. It will take more oil to and pressure to fill up the oil cavity to fill the lifter with oil. The oil feed is smaller too. How big is the oil hole in the plunger on top as compared to the other two lifters? Smaller would be better so the lifter does not bleed down as quickly..

It seems to me the higher in oil viscosity I go the less noisy my CC roller lifters are ,this indicates loose clearences in lifters to me (excessive leak down)

Looking at that machined lift body, i would think you will have a drop in oil pressure, its alot wider then the other two bodies. It will take more oil to and pressure to fill up the oil cavity to fill the lifter with oil. The oil feed is smaller too. How big is the oil hole in the plunger on top as compared to the other two lifters? Smaller would be better so the lifter does not bleed down as quickly..

The test lifter and the SBC lifter are both Morel units and have the same size holes in the top. The Comp looks like it has a slightly smaller hole. This hole just feeds the pushrod. It may not have anything to do with how fast they leak down. My guess would be that tolerences would have more to do with leak down, and overall performence.

Mike B.