Any good hyd roller lifters other than clicky Comps?

OK. Heres what I've learned.

The lifter that will work in our engines, is basically a small block chevy lifter, with one exception. The lifter must shroud the roller (wall of the lifter overhang the roller's rolling surface). If the wall of the lifter is cut high, and the roller is UNshrouded, then when the lifter is on top of the cam lope, this high cut area in the lifter will intersect with the oil feed hole in the block and you'll loose oil pressure.

Now, Keep in mind that we need a shrouded lifter.

Over the last few days I've talked to many suppliers, cam companys, and manufacturers. It seems as though Comp, Crower, and probably a few more are outsourceing there hyd rollers to the same Co. (pos China), and are having the same issues.

I saw a Crane SBC lifter and the roller was UNshrouded and would not work in our 109 engines. Do they, or did they make a shrouded one? I havent been able to track one down yet. Isky said that they don't make a shrouded lifter that would fit our engine. So, If your running a Crane or Isky hyd roller lifter in your 109 block,

#1 Where and how long ago did you get it.
#2 How well does it work.
#3 Can you get us a part no.
#4 If it's unshrouded, ya might want to check your oil psi:eek: ;) .

Here's the cool part.
I talked to a bigwig at Morrel's (sp) lifter manufacturer. They make top quality lifters for other companys to sell under there own labels. They also do lifters for top fuel cars and other buick engines. After chating with this guy for about 20 minutes, and explaining to him the potential market for a quality Turbo Buick hyd roller lifter, he offered me this. He said that he thought he had a lifter that would work great, but the link bar was all wrong. So, he's going to refab the proper link bar on it, and send it out to me next week to mock up in a block and make sure that all the oiling will work. Lou of Lou's Auto said that he's got a block and roller cam that I can use to do the mock up.

"IF" this works out, I'm not sure if they will sell under Morrel's label or someone elses. If I can somehow be a part of makeing these POS Comp lifters go the way of the Kenne Bell Ultimate chip, ram air canister, and pinion snubber, then I will have made the Turbo Buick world a better place.

More to come...:)

Happy spooling
Mike Barnard

I DONT SEE WHAT THE BIG DEAL WITH LIFTERS IS.I NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH THE ISKYS.WE ALL RUN THEM OUT HERE NOT ONE FAILED YET.IF YOUR INTERESTED CALL THE DIRECT SPEAK WITH ROD.HE WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU.

phone: 323.770.0930

I WILL TRY TO GET A PART NUMBER.

Part # please

I DONT SEE WHAT THE BIG DEAL WITH LIFTERS IS.I NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH THE ISKYS.WE ALL RUN THEM OUT HERE NOT ONE FAILED YET.IF YOUR INTERESTED CALL THE DIRECT SPEAK WITH ROD.HE WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU.

phone: 323.770.0930

I WILL TRY TO GET A PART NUMBER.

I talked to Richard at Isky yesterday and was told that they don't make a hyd roller lifter for our cars.:confused:

A good day

Got the new prototype lifter on Mon. It looks good. I'll post pics when I get a chance. Mocked it up in a block with a roller cam at Lou's shop today. So far everything looks perfect to me. Tomorrow I'll call the manufacturer with the fitting specs that he wanted (link bar bind, oil passage clearances, etc). While I was mocking up different lifters in the block today, I found somthing kind of odd. With the comp roller lifters on the base of the cam, the link bar is compressed to 0 end play, and "may" even be slightly pushing out on the lifters. "If" so, this would slightly rotate the lifters and cause them to be toe-out while rolling on the cam. If anyone can shed some light on this, that would be nice.

More to come...

Happy spooling
Mike Barnard

Finally Got A Part # 2070hyrt. I Have Been Using Them For Years, Not One Problem.by The Way They Are Quite I Cant Even Here Them.

Finally Got A Part # 2070hyrt. I Have Been Using Them For Years, Not One Problem.by The Way They Are Quite I Cant Even Here Them.

Is it a shrouded or unshrouded? I "think" that lifter is unshrouded, and may cause the engine to loose some oil psi while the lifter is on the lobe. You might want to ask.

NEW ROLLER LIFTER IS A GO! and MADE IN THE USA

Yep, It's going to happen. Yesterday I spent about half an hour on the phone going over the specs for the new lifters with the manufacturer. I was told that I should have a set in my hands in about two weeks. My car will be the test mule for the first set. I've got the prototype lifter, so I'll go ahead and mock it up in my engine and order pushrods if needed.

Just to let everyone know, this lifter will be made by Morrel and sold under other labels. Morrel does not sell parts to people or shops. They sell parts to cam companys. So, don't try to call them. They just want to be left alone so they can manufacture parts. I was told that I would be given a part number, and list of venders when production starts. I will post this part number as soon as I get it. Was also told that the cost should be comparable to what we are paying now for other lifters.

Just to be clear, I know that there has been a few snakey outside marketing deals that have been uncovered here lately. This is the real deal. I don't work for this company. I'm not making anything off this thing (other than a set of lifters). The time that I've put in to this has been a fun, learning experience so far.

When I started this thread, all I wanted was a hyd roller lifter that was'nt a POS. Never guessed that it would have come to this. Oh well.

More to come...

Happy spooling
Mike Barnard

Evil,
Talked to Richard at Isky today on your part number. He said that is for a SBC, has an unshrouded roller, and should NOT be used in our motors. What's your oil psi at idle? I'd guess low:eek: .

Should have pictures posted tomorrow night.

i am going to check my flat tappet cam this winter so i am in the market for a roller cam and bearings.

First photos of new lifter

P1010001.jpg

P1010007.jpg

P1010006.jpg

P1010005.jpg

P1010004.jpg

P1010003.jpg

P1010002.jpg

Hope these pics show why you don't want to use an unshrouded lifter. If you look closely, you might be able to see the needle bearings in the Morel lifter. They roll nice.