Any good hyd roller lifters other than clicky Comps?

Steve V

Steve V's Automotive 757 560 2782
I use only Johnson lifters FWIW, I get them from Dave and Bison. I have several sets of used Morels and comps laying around. I am no expert but I stay with what works. I usually run about 150 on the seat and 400+ open for pressures, .030 preload max. I've spent a lot of time talking to both Bison and Dave and they have taught me bunches about valvetrain stuff. Like I said I will stay with what has worked for me and my customers.

Steve V

Steve V's Automotive 757 560 2782
Seems like everybody has had some kind of failure with every type of lifter.
I'll stick with my morel lifter.

I do have a question though.
If the box says do not run oil heavier than 5w 40.
Why are people ruining different oil?

Seems like there's a lot of guys out there running 15 30 or 20 50
You've got some builders that like .0025-.003 for clearences that requires 20w-50. IMO if you bearing clearences are .0015-002 and rod side clearence is tight you will have oil pressure to the moon on 10w-30-40

SPOOLFOOL2

Fiberglass bumper filler dude. (949) 433-1257
Staff member
For the record, Set #1 of the Morels are still going strong in my car after eleven years. Still very quiet.
Seat pressure on the springs is 155 lbs. Preload is .035". 212/212 cam. I run Mobil-1 10w30 syn, with a splash of Lucas oil (zink) engine break in additive. When I have Turbo Lou freashen up this engine, I'm going to re-use the lifters.

Last edited:

Ttype6

I have Johnson's in my new engine. They are as loud and clicky as any I've heard.

Jus' sayin.
My valve train has been noisier than I would like it to be since the day I took the stock cam out and put a 208/208 hydraulic flat tappet cam in .
Then I moved up to a hydraulic roller with Comp lifters. How can you have link bars flying around and not making noise?
Now I have a 281/218 with XFI lobes and Johnson lifters and the extra spring pressure needed to control everything. It is the loudest valve train I have ever had,but I've been attributing the noise to the fast ramps.

Does your cam have aggressive ramps?

TurboTGuy

Gray Beard Member
My valve train has been noisier than I would like it to be since the day I took the stock cam out and put a 208/208 hydraulic flat tappet cam in .
Then I moved up to a hydraulic roller with Comp lifters. How can you have link bars flying around and not making noise?
Now I have a 281/218 with XFI lobes and Johnson lifters and the extra spring pressure needed to control everything. It is the loudest valve train I have ever had,but I've been attributing the noise to the fast ramps.

Does your cam have aggressive ramps?

Yes, it's a TA special roller grind Crower Cam that is similar to your grind.

Ttype6

Yes, it's a TA special roller grind Crower Cam that is similar to your grind.
I think the extra noise is from the fast ramps and I've heard people in the LS community mention increased noise after installing cams with XFI lobes.

SPOOLFOOL2

Staff member
I think the extra noise is from the fast ramps and I've heard people in the LS community mention increased noise after installing cams with XFI lobes.
I have always felt that most excessive noise was probably do to poor lifter tolerances. This is just my gut feeling and I have no proof.
I've run different lifters on the same cam and have had night and day results. I suspect that a more aggressive lobe ramp could also affect noise.
I'd like to hear others opinions.

Last edited:

Jerryl

Tall Chinese Guy
For the record, Set #1 of the Morels are still going strong in my car after eleven years. Still very quiet.
Seat pressure on the springs is 155 lbs. Preload is .035". 212/212 cam. I run Mobil-1 10w30 syn, with a splash of Lucas oil (zink) engine break in additive. When I have Turbo Lou freashen up this engine, I'm going to re-use the lifters.
I have a set of early morels and they are pretty quiet. There are a lot of reasons for noise besides the lifters themselves and I see a lot of lifters with insufficient preload on *some* valves, same engine.

I am convinced however that their quality seriously slipped in later years because they underestimated global sourcing requirements strategy.

My white car has roller lifters from Bison and they are pretty quit as well. Most of the noise is from the link bar.

It will never be as quiet as a FT, but not a concern for me.

SPOOLFOOL2

Staff member
When this thread was started, Morels were made in the USA. Not sure if this is still the case.