antifreeze or no antifreeze

garrett

I need to change my coolant in my red car and I was thinking of using distilled water and Waterwetter with no antifreeze. The car is garage kept and I live in a tropical climate. Freezing is not really an issue. The car has an aluminum radiator and Spal fans; so overheating is also not really an issue. I'm just concerned with the coolant having the proper anti-corrosive and lubrication properties. Does anyone have any experience with using distilled water and an additive instead of a 50/50 mix?

I have not used antifreeze for 20 years. I always used distilled water and Waterwetter draining it each year to keep it fresh. I had no issues but a few years ago I switched to distilled water and RMI-25 as I believe it is better.

Mike

Distilled and RMI25 here too. On both my cars. I change to anti freeze for the winter on my daily driver. (it was supercharged) The shit works. My daily driver never went over 167 with that stuff. Supercharged L67-flogged daily.

I was pondering this as well and how it would be in Texas weather. But, are there downsides and value added to not utilizing the proper anti-freeze/water mix?

Gunk makes a water pump lube you can use with water if you don't like the other chemicals mentioned for lube-ability and corrosion resistance. (y)

I need to change my coolant in my red car and I was thinking of using distilled water and Waterwetter with no antifreeze. The car is garage kept and I live in a tropical climate. Freezing is not really an issue. The car has an aluminum radiator and Spal fans; so overheating is also not really an issue. I'm just concerned with the coolant having the proper anti-corrosive and lubrication properties. Does anyone have any experience with using distilled water and an additive instead of a 50/50 mix?

Thanks, I contacted ARIZONAGN.

I was pondering this as well and how it would be in Texas weather. But, are there downsides and value added to not utilizing the proper anti-freeze/water mix?

You've got that backwards. Using less anti-freeze makes the coolant more efficient. Since I'm in GA I only run a 15%~20% antifreeze solution in my cars. It's only there to act as a rust preventative during the summer.

Biggest downside for antifreeze is if it gets to the engine bearings due to a blown headgasket the bearings are usually toast. The water and RMI-25 is not usually an issue. I don't run antifreeze in the GN or the racecar because a headgasket is easy to fix. Rebuilding the engine isn't quite as easy. My opinion but I have never seen the need for antifreeze.

Just some comments about antifreeze and radiator additives. :)

One fact is that antifreeze will not transfer heat as well as plain water, so an engine will run hotter especially in the summer temps, usually 5-10 degrees more than plain water. We have seen temps drop up to 20 degrees when replacing antifreeze with water and RMI-25.

With over 40 years of auto service in the desert, only one additive which has proven to be the best in protecting the cooling system, and this is RMI-25.

There are 2 significant factors with RMI that make it unique, first it is the only product that will clean the cooling system while driving without being acidic or caustic which will cause corrosion in the system.

Second, it contains all the properties to properly lubricate, condition and lubricate all the areas and parts in the system. Most all others additives like Waterwetterr WILL go corrosive, or not properly provide all the protection needed, especially when aluminum parts are in contact with coolant.

Since RMI does such a good job cleaning rust and deposits, and keeps it in suspension, it should be changed yearly, and sooner when first used.

For those in cold climates, you can still have the protection of RMI when adding it to your antifreeze.

The additive package in commercial amtifreeze is very minimal, so adding RMI is very beneficial there as well as providing better heat transfer.

I live in a warmer climate environment. Distilled water and RMI-25 with no thermostst is what I run. I still have original radiator too. My set up ran a lot cooler in the 100° plus temps in AZ. Goy my RMI-25 from Nick as well.

I live in a warmer climate environment. Distilled water and RMI-25 with no thermostst is what I run. I still have original radiator too. My set up ran a lot cooler in the 100° plus temps in AZ. Goy my RMI-25 from Nick as well.
Just curious, what are your temps like with your a/c on and off? I'm still running the stock radiator w/RMI-25 too.

Just curious, what are your temps like with your a/c on and off? I'm still running the stock radiator w/RMI-25 too.

On days where it's really hot - Like over 110, with AC on, it will still creep up over 210 if I let it in Stop & go traffic. Driving at freeway speeds it will stay 195-200. With the AC off on those 110° days, it stays 190-200.

Right now here it's about 70-80° it drives pretty constantly between 160-180° - It'll stay up near - 180° if I use AC, but really there is no need too.

The only thing is, now it's getting pretty cold at night. Like in the 40's so it's a struggle to keep it warm with no t-stat - if Im out driving it.

Btw... I'm moving back to Hawaii next week.

This is making me think. I've got 4 days off. I may drain my coolant and do a distiller water / hyper cool combination. I don't drive it that much. I'm in Texas

On days where it's really hot - Like over 110, with AC on, it will still creep up over 210 if I let it in Stop & go traffic. Driving at freeway speeds it will stay 195-200. With the AC off on those 110° days, it stays 190-200.

Right now here it's about 70-80° it drives pretty constantly between 160-180° - It'll stay up near - 180° if I use AC, but really there is no need too.

The only thing is, now it's getting pretty cold at night. Like in the 40's so it's a struggle to keep it warm with no t-stat - if Im out driving it.

Btw... I'm moving back to Hawaii next week.
Thanks for the reply.
Is your car coming back with you?