Anti submarine belt mount ?

dynoman

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
I just got my new 5 point harness and want to know how you guys are mounting the anti sub belt to the floor ? Is a 6"x6" 10ga. plate and eyebolt sandwiched on the floor ok or does it need to go to the frame via a cross bar ? Thanks , Sam

I made a bar shaped like a T that connects the front bolts and put the eye bolt on the short leg. Pretty simple set up.

move seat forward , at rear of seat drill hole in floor , secure tab with 3/8" or better bolt and 2" washer under car

Last edited:
I just got my new 5 point harness and want to know how you guys are mounting the anti sub belt to the floor ? Is a 6"x6" 10ga. plate and eyebolt sandwiched on the floor ok or does it need to go to the frame via a cross bar ? Thanks , Sam
Don't know if it's legal. But, 1 big fender washers from the bin at Home Depot under the floor pan. Then 2 regular washers top and bottom. 3/8" grade-8 through bolt and a lock nut.

Never has any of the tech inspectors check the sub-belt install when I have gone to the track. But maybe sometimes they do?

Either way, with a factory style seat, with no hole cut in the bottom in the crotch area, this belt doesn't fully serve its purpose.

Thanks for the ideas, I always think overkill on this stuff so it's good to know I don't have to go over board . On the thought of the stock seat and the belt not fully serving it's purpose, I see what you mean . Plus the thought of " the boys " getting a running start before encountering the sub belt pains me .

If you're using a five point, you really should replace the seat with one that has the facilities for the anti-sub strap for the belt to work properly.

If you're using a five point, you really should replace the seat with one that has the facilities for the anti-sub strap for the belt to work properly.
I have the factory offered Lear Siegler front seats. So I'm able to run the sub-belt through the seat at the seam between the extendable cushion. This is better........but not perfect. It should still go through about 4-6 inches further back. So yes, you are correct. Like so many other things.......it's a compromise dependent on how often you plan to race it, I guess.

IMG_1369.JPG

I went way overkill and made this up the sandwiched the floor with another plate underneath and four 5/16" bolts, could prob pick the car up by it hahaha

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180313-094207.png
    Screenshot_20180313-094207.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 110