Anti submarine belt mount ?

dynoman

Nov 30, 2009
Ontario NY , near Rochester NY
I just got my new 5 point harness and want to know how you guys are mounting the anti sub belt to the floor ? Is a 6"x6" 10ga. plate and eyebolt sandwiched on the floor ok or does it need to go to the frame via a cross bar ? Thanks , Sam

Pronto

Chaos is a ladder.
Dec 9, 2002
Nashua, NH
I made a bar shaped like a T that connects the front bolts and put the eye bolt on the short leg. Pretty simple set up.

pacecarta

MAGNA
Staff member
Aug 1, 2003
RIP racewaypark, NJ
move seat forward , at rear of seat drill hole in floor , secure tab with 3/8" or better bolt and 2" washer under car

Last edited:

NY Twin Turbo

All the good stuff.....Times 2.
Dec 10, 2014
Westchester NY
I just got my new 5 point harness and want to know how you guys are mounting the anti sub belt to the floor ? Is a 6"x6" 10ga. plate and eyebolt sandwiched on the floor ok or does it need to go to the frame via a cross bar ? Thanks , Sam
Don't know if it's legal. But, 1 big fender washers from the bin at Home Depot under the floor pan. Then 2 regular washers top and bottom. 3/8" grade-8 through bolt and a lock nut.

Never has any of the tech inspectors check the sub-belt install when I have gone to the track. But maybe sometimes they do?

Either way, with a factory style seat, with no hole cut in the bottom in the crotch area, this belt doesn't fully serve its purpose.

dynoman

Nov 30, 2009
Ontario NY , near Rochester NY
Thanks for the ideas, I always think overkill on this stuff so it's good to know I don't have to go over board . On the thought of the stock seat and the belt not fully serving it's purpose, I see what you mean . Plus the thought of " the boys " getting a running start before encountering the sub belt pains me .

NY Twin Turbo

All the good stuff.....Times 2.
Dec 10, 2014
Westchester NY
If you're using a five point, you really should replace the seat with one that has the facilities for the anti-sub strap for the belt to work properly.
I have the factory offered Lear Siegler front seats. So I'm able to run the sub-belt through the seat at the seam between the extendable cushion. This is better........but not perfect. It should still go through about 4-6 inches further back. So yes, you are correct. Like so many other things.......it's a compromise dependent on how often you plan to race it, I guess.

IMG_1369.JPG

Top Bottom