Another successful vacuum brake install.

black87buick

Man...

So easy. Soooo much less stressful to drive the car. Should have done this when I first got it.

This forum and GNTTYPE.org are excellent. Thank you to all who contribute.

I found out the hard way when I lost the brakes on the freeway. I went vacuum for under $200 and couldn't be happier.

Hey how's it going. . I just pulled out the old PM brake system , did you install the non turbo regal master cylinder /brake booster??

I’m about yo do mine as well.

How did you guys get the vacuum feed and do you put a one way valve on the vac line?

thanks

D

For my set up I just bought the billet vacuum block with the vacuum port on it. TTA style
The one way valve is in the fitting to the booster I believe.

A check valve is needed in between the vac source before the check valve on the booster. When I first converted to vacuum set up I figured out the check valve on the booster doesn't hold up to boost very well, and ended up blowing up the bladder in the booster. Still have a firm pedal that I don't really care for, but the brake work fine....Mike

Hey how's it going. . I just pulled out the old PM brake system , did you install the non turbo regal master cylinder /brake booster??
Yes. With the pedal - must have pedal. I simply "T" ed into the larger vacuum line off the vacuum block on the TB. Its kinda ugly but I don't care. If I drive it more aggressively then I will add the addition check valve to compliment the one at the booster. All vacuum setups that I've see have that elbow check valve fitted into the booster. I had to put some silicon lubricant in mine to loosen it up. Anyway. Best upgrade one could ever do imho.

Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• Vac Brake install (1).jpg
    Vac Brake install (1).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 172
  • Vac Brake install (2).jpg
    Vac Brake install (2).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 182
A check valve is needed in between the vac source before the check valve on the booster. When I first converted to vacuum set up I figured out the check valve on the booster doesn't hold up to boost very well, and ended up blowing up the bladder in the booster. Still have a firm pedal that I don't really care for, but the brake work fine....Mike
Did you make sure the valve worked before install? Mine did not and I did not want to learn the hard way. I put some silicon lubricant in it to free it up.