Another scammer morrayp

5C3F87AA-CE3D-4660-A4AF-5AB6A8AE776F.jpg
2F633551-6903-45D0-93D9-7C6C3011100A.jpg

Not sure what's going on. I put the hammer on his ass after his first attempt.
His name has a line thru it. That's supposed to mean he's banned.
I see only 1 IP addy, too.
Have to get with Jay and find out.

100% a scammer. They used a Proton Mail email address and connected here via VPN.

Maybe implement a handful of basic questions that new people wanting to join have to answer.. what color are al gn's, what year are all gnx's, rwd fwd or awd, turbo charged or supercharged yada yada yada

Maybe implement a handful of basic questions that new people wanting to join have to answer.. what color are al gn's, what year are all gnx's, rwd fwd or awd, turbo charged or supercharged yada yada yada

Thats already been done. When you sign up, you get some kind of questions like that. Thats why we're not over run with spam.

I honestly feel like anyone scamming on this site could answer those questions anyway.

I dunno.. after reading the grammar in that message, maybe not.

Thats already been done. When you sign up, you get some kind of questions like that. Thats why we're not over run with spam.

I honestly feel like anyone scamming on this site could answer those questions anyway.

I dunno.. after reading the grammar in that message, maybe not.
Saw a thing on that topic.. apparently they sound like idiots on purpose so if someone is dumb enough to engage their proposition they know they have a live one.

I can maybe restrict people from being able to private message for x number of days but that may require creating new groups for promotion and thats a lot of work. Ill see what I can come up with.

Admin need to do something fast about scammers

Im open to suggestions as to how to handle this.

Short of locking down every user from being able to PM or post, I dont know how else WE can safeguard this place. Doing that is going to be a huge disservice to other new members.

It's a tough balance and I appreciate the work you all have put in. I wonder how much spam we'd see if you relaxed the measures that are already in place!

The beauty of running many IT services is that people only notice when things wrong. The successes are hidden because things "just work like they should."

Don't have any quick fixes, but good luck!

It's a tough balance and I appreciate the work you all have put in. I wonder how much spam we'd see if you relaxed the measures that are already in place!

The beauty of running many IT services is that people only notice when things wrong. The successes are hidden because things "just work like they should."

Don't have any quick fixes, but good luck!

A lot

The checks I have in place stop between 75-150 spammers a day.

Here's kind of how forum spamming works. There is a piece of software (I think its called XRunner and there are probably more) that will download a giant list of forums and the software will go through and COMPLETELY register you, including solving the Captcha/ It will handle the email verification and then once youre registered, it will post its spam and then move on to the next one.

That it can auto solve captchas presents an interesting challenge but what I did was change over to a system where I can create the Captcha questions. I made them pretty Buick specific but its still stuff people could google to get the answers to real quick. BUT, the bottom line is what you see here now is people taking the time to go through the whole process.

Plus, me and others here sweep daily for spam. There is so much you guys dont see.

I'm on here everyday , mostly all day and if I see a "member" I don't recognize , I check their profile & any posts and report spam immediately .