Annoying

gnxtc2

Staff member
I'm posting this through my phone.

When I go on this site with my laptop, I get this annoying pop-up that says I'm I have an Ad-blocker....who doesn't these days.

When I wasn't logged in, I could just click the "x" and it would disappear sort of. Every new screen, the pop-up would re-appear. I wanted to make a post and logged in. Now the "x" disappeared and there is no way to get rid of the pop-up.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com
20160302_210024.jpg

Yeah, it's happening to me too. It's very annoying. If i don't want to see the ads, it's my privilege and no one is going to force me to see them. (n)

Claude. :mad:

I wouldn't mind the ads so much if it didn't slow things to a crawl. I've got a 15/1 broadband connection and it seems like I'm dial-up with the ad-blocker disabled. Not to mention the page jumping all over the place while all this external crap loads...

I don't think this is a positive direction for the site. More and more people are discouraged everyday and now because of this I can't access from my work computer on my breaks or free time.
AG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turn off your ad blocker. Pretty simple.

How do you think this site gets paid for?

There are only 3 ads on this site, including the vendor ads. They arent obnoxious and in your face.. Is it really too much to ask that people look at them?

Blocking ad blockers is becoming common place. We're just a little ahead of everyone else.

I did change the time out so it shouldn't be as annoying but thats kind of the point.

Well the point is I can't turn off the add blocker because the policies are set by our corporate administrator. If it was a home computer than it would be something we can do. So basically I'm locked out for most of my day with exception to Tapatalk. I can't be the only one with this issue.
AG

I changed the length of the nag message. You shouldnt be constantly harassed now.

You should only get asked about the ad blocker once an hour.

As much trouble as ad blockers cause on some websites, Im surprised any admin would make that a policy.

Last edited:
Well the point is I can't turn off the add blocker because the policies are set by our corporate administrator. If it was a home computer than it would be something we can do. So basically I'm locked out for most of my day with exception to Tapatalk. I can't be the only one with this issue.
AG

I have the same issue, no control over ad blocker. I understand I shouldn't be on the forums at "work", I need to get my fill of Turbo Buick.

There is only one other site I found that won't let you enter until ADblocker is turned off, I don't visit that site anymore. If money is a factor, well, ask for donations. The browser here at work won't even enter the site normally, I have to search for each sub-forum. By far the most problematic forum I've seen, hopefully it improves.

I changed the length of the nag message. You shouldnt be constantly harassed now.

As much trouble as ad blockers cause on some websites, Im surprised any admin would make that a policy.
I understand what you are trying to do Jay and have no problem with it on my home computer.
AG.

They do it because some ads are and can be malicious. Source: Current IT guy here.

A lot of stuff is malicious.. do they block Java and Flash too? Blocking ads, while on the surface is a great idea, can cause a lot of issues with some web sites. Most commercial firewalls will block ads automatically but like I said, it can cause issues.

We're working on a way to allow people to upgrade to a premium membership that will remove all the ads and that will help offset some of the revenue we're losing in ads.

Hosting a site this size isnt cheap. Its not something you can go to some half ass web hoster and do.. thats why this site sucked for speed before we took it over. It was running on some piece of crap PC with no memory. Remember the old days when the search engine didnt even work?

There are even more things we can do to really speed this site up but it all takes $$$$$ and the site just isnt making the money to do it. This is one step to hopefully work towards that. If our ad revenue doesnt go up some from this, Ill probably remove it but statistically, it does for others.

A lot of stuff is malicious.. do they block Java and Flash too? Blocking ads, while on the surface is a great idea, can cause a lot of issues with some web sites. Most commercial firewalls will block ads automatically but like I said, it can cause issues.

We're working on a way to allow people to upgrade to a premium membership that will remove all the ads and that will help offset some of the revenue we're losing in ads.

Hosting a site this size isnt cheap. Its not something you can go to some half ass web hoster and do.. thats why this site sucked for speed before we took it over. It was running on some piece of crap PC with no memory. Remember the old days when the search engine didnt even work?

There are even more things we can do to really speed this site up but it all takes $$$$$ and the site just isnt making the money to do it. This is one step to hopefully work towards that. If our ad revenue doesnt go up some from this, Ill probably remove it but statistically, it does for others.

Some companies do block java and flash yes, but they are both old technologies anyways as more websites are moving to HTML5. A lot of corporate web browsers are heavily locked down, just depends on what they choose. I understand about the ad revenue but really it seems futile as mobile devices all have ad blockers today, and a lot of web browsers can also get plug ins to hide the ad blockers from sites trying to block them....just my .02

I know our company has a Barracuda web filter. Some of the administrative policies won't even allow me to turn off or change my screen saver settings. I can no longer keep my PC on and will automatically shut off at a predetermined time at night. Corporate policies suck.

I can turn it on for mobile devices as well.. I just chose not to do that.... for now :)

Seriously, who cares about a couple of adds, the whole thing is free. Between the cell phones and personal time on the computer at work its a wonder anything gets done.

Seriously, who cares about a couple of adds, the whole thing is free. Between the cell phones and personal time on the computer at work its a wonder anything gets done.

Well the issue is the ad blocker prompt prevents people from doing anything on the site and those people who can't turn the ad blocking off can't view or navigate the page. Maybe corporate America production will now benefit lol?