And the next thing...

corsair231

My Sy has been running fairly well and I've been driving it a fair amount around town with no issues so I decided to drive it to a small cruise the other night. Only about a 60 mile round trip so I thought no biggie and headed out. I got to the cruise and found a parking spot, popped the hood, and started my walk around to look at the other cars. I had been there for just a little while and as I walked back to my truck to talk with some guys standing there I noticed my over flow reservoir was empty. I hadn't paid any attention to it in a couple of days so I figured I just needed to add a little to top it off. I opened the radiator cap and no water in sight. Anyway, hit the parts store right across the street and picked up some premixed. It only took about a quart to top it off and I pour a little in the overflow to keep the intercooler from sucking air and headed home. About half-way there I stopped and checked and I saw water dripping. It was getting late and I couldn't see where it was leaking but hoped it might be a loose clamp. Got it home and this weekend I checked it out. I filled the rad and started the truck. After just a few minutes it started pouring water and it wasn't the hose.. I pulled my shroud and low an behold I have Niagara Falls coming out the front of my radiator...so the next thing is? A trip to Advance Auto and a radiator replacement scheduled for my next nice day off. :(

corsair231

Radiator appears clean. The water is coming out from the fins right where the core meets the end tank at the top on the drivers side. It was definitely not hit by anything so I'm guessing the seam probably split. Truck hasn't been driven much in the last few years and I recently replaced the radiator cap. I guess maybe the heat cycles and more pressure ??? Good news is I had a coupon from Advance and got a new radiator for $115.00, taxes included which I thought was very reasonable. That was actually cheaper than Rockauto's was with shipping and I didn't have to wait a week for it to come in. Bad news is that my plans to put it in fell through last weekend so I still can't drive the truck yet. Lol.