New alternator $140 from autozone
Used gt4788 $1200 turbo
241 heads $50
Weldon fuel regulator $250
Free ls2 camshaft
arp rod bolts $80
Arp studs $280

Still need:
All stainless hot side (waiting on turbo to arrive)
elbow for intake (using stock truck throttle body)
Throttle cable
Starter
Fuel line fittings

And of course the nickel and dime stuff

Currently my goal is a high nine sec car. May be an over kill turbo for high 9's but whatever. Good thing is that if and when I ventilate a piston, I already found a 4.8 at a local yard for cheap lol

Exactly my plain Kevin I have the 5.3 truck motor also and I got a 4.8 free from a friend and I'm going to build the 4.8 to the hilt while trying to destroy the 5.3 i know I'm sick like that love the progress your doing my set up is similar except I'm keeping the 2004r and running stock reprogrammed ECM with sd tune

Quick update:
Just got my th400 adapter from hr parts n stuff. Where the engine is in the early pics worked out perfect. You will be able to run a stock length driveshaft with a th400 yoke of course. I am happy because I can use the stock trans crossmember and don't have to cut it. So far, not a single thing has been cut in the car for the conversion:)
I'm going to pull the test fit engine and spend the week detailing the engine bay and frame.

I will try to get a figure when done. So far off the top of my head:
5.3 long block 150k miles $350
motor mounts from brp $280
eBay headers $500
Valve springs $70
Oil pan from jegs $140
sfi balancer to go from th400 to 5.3 $220
Ls9 head gaskets $120
eldelbrock victor Jr intake $390
two 96# injectors (I had 6) $140
New alternator $140 from autozone
Used gt4788 $1200 turbo
241 heads $50
Weldon fuel regulator $250
Free ls2 camshaft
arp rod bolts $80
Arp studs $280

Still need:
All stainless hot side (waiting on turbo to arrive)
elbow for intake (using stock truck throttle body)
Throttle cable
Starter
Fuel line fittings

And of course the nickel and dime stuff

Currently my goal is a high nine sec car. May be an over kill turbo for high 9's but whatever. Good thing is that if and when I ventilate a piston, I already found a 4.8 at a local yard for cheap lol

What part number on the jegs oil pan and how was the clearance?

Kevin, Good luck with the swap. This is something I would really like to do to my '86 S10 blazer.

Trying to get my buddies build thread posted up on LS1tech (turbo 5.3L in a '87 Blazer 2wd 2dr). I'll PM you a link if he ever gets it posted.

Will do. I've been real busy outside of cars the last 2 weeks so progress has slowed. This weekend isn't looking good either. Hope to have some time during next week to get some stuff done.

Think we will Y the headers together in front if the engine then come under the pass header to the gt4788. This is a big arse turbo.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120603_162736.png
    ForumRunner_20120603_162736.png
    258.2 KB · Views: 196
Think we will Y the headers together in front if the engine then come under the pass header to the gt4788. This is a big arse turbo.

That Art's old turbo? Give a buddy a call sometime.

See ya, Kip

Trying to get my buddies build thread posted up on LS1tech (turbo 5.3L in a '87 Blazer 2wd 2dr). I'll PM you a link if he ever gets it posted.

Sounds good please send me the link whenever possible. Would really love to do that to mine Thanks

Seems as if I have picked that unit up once upon a time. If so you are correct on that Big Arse Turbo statement.....lol

Will do Kip. That was arts turbo. It's a heavy mofo. Should be able to get me in the 10's.

that's very similar to how I mounted mine. I felt like there wasn't enough room between the front of the motor and the fan/radiator. So I mounted mine just a little bit back of where yours is. It's not easy getting a t6 turbo into these puppies.

I'm going to go get my inner fenders from my 85 regal and cut the passenger one up until I can get it to fit with the turbo over there :D

Is your battery going on the driver's side or in the trunk?

Going to put it in the trunk. Do you got a picture of your setup? Still trying to determine if that is where I want it.

No, I'll try to get one for you before too long. I should have the Regal inner fender and ac box here ready to cut on this week though. I'll stash the GN stuff back up above the garage where it'll stay ;)

Got home from work today and put in a solid 5 hours into it. Took out the mock up motor and started to detail the engine bay. Took most of the frame down to metal (already did some of it last year) and took the firewall down to bare metal. I like black firewalls, not body colored. So I fixed that;)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120604_223834.png
    ForumRunner_20120604_223834.png
    340.7 KB · Views: 162
  • ForumRunner_20120604_223847.png
    ForumRunner_20120604_223847.png
    377.3 KB · Views: 153
Here are a couple of pics of how I mounted my stuff. Please ignore the dirt, grease, and bad welding.

IMAG0107.jpg

IMAG0102.jpg

IMAG0103.jpg

IMAG0104.jpg

IMAG0105.jpg