And so it begins.... (lsx content)

That would be the death blow to this being a street car. Replace the the stock steering column with that would lead to all kinds of race car Electronics and so forth.

I don't think so bud...I'm not saying I'll never have a turbo ls, but it'll never be in my Buick

Edit - scratch that i would do that to this car, but only if i had a nicer Buick to keep a v6 in.
My car isn't exactly a <50k mile cream puff either. Goal is to not cut up anything. Hell, I even ordered an offset bracket from hr parts so I didn't have to cut up the stock trans crossmember. I removed the AC without a single scratch and removed the wiring harness without cutting a single wire. This all can be reversed. Not that I will ever do that. It was either sell this car and take a hit from all the work I've done to it chassis wise over last couple of years and start over or work with what I got. If people like it cool....if not oh well.

I don't think so bud...I'm not saying I'll never have a turbo ls, but it'll never be in my Buick

Edit - scratch that i would do that to this car, but only if i had a nicer Buick to keep a v6 in.

I used to say the same thing, until I blew up motor #3. If this thing runs like I think it will, it will never go back to a v6 because I don't plan on ever selling the car.

My car isn't exactly a <50k mile cream puff either. Goal is to not cut up anything. Hell, I even ordered an offset bracket from hr parts so I didn't have to cut up the stock trans crossmember. I removed the AC without a single scratch and removed the wiring harness without cutting a single wire. This all can be reversed. Not that I will ever do that. It was either sell this car and take a hit from all the work I've done to it chassis wise over last couple of years and start over or work with what I got. If people like it cool....if not oh well.

Apparently we have different views on your car...it's not a cream puff but it's a nice car not some beat up old race car.

Trust me guys I'm not bashing the idea, but turbo buicks are rare and special...i do it to any other g-body in a heartbeat...or my rust beat up old car.

I used to say the same thing, until I blew up motor #3. If this thing runs like I think it will, it will never go back to a v6 because I don't plan on ever selling the car.

Don't take the wrong way, but did you ever figure out what you were doing wrong?

Don't take the wrong way, but did you ever figure out what you were doing wrong?

It was something different every time.

1st time it went lean at about 140 on a shot of nitrous. Broke the crank in half.
2nd time I messed up, should have gapped the rings more.
3rd time was an oil pressure issue.

I can't really blame it all on the 109, but I will say that those are the hardest motors on earth to keep from leaking, the $900 roller cam setup is hard to swallow, and it sucked that my GN1 heads cost more than my LS motor's heads (which the whole motor cost less than the GN1s).

The only thing I will absolutely miss is that horrible v6 buzzing sound when it spooled up. That was beautiful to my ears, and now I won't have it. :(

If GM would have had LS motors back in '87, they would have considered turbcharging a 4.8......

I don't think it is a sin to put an LS in a turbo Buick.... just don't do anything that can't be undone.... and save all your original parts. It would be a lot of work, but you could go back to stock pretty much if you did it right.

It was something different every time.

1st time it went lean at about 140 on a shot of nitrous. Broke the crank in half.
2nd time I messed up, should have gapped the rings more.
3rd time was an oil pressure issue.

I can't really blame it all on the 109, but I will say that those are the hardest motors on earth to keep from leaking, the $900 roller cam setup is hard to swallow, and it sucked that my GN1 heads cost more than my LS motor's heads (which the whole motor cost less than the GN1s).

The only thing I will absolutely miss is that horrible v6 buzzing sound when it spooled up. That was beautiful to my ears, and now I won't have it. :(

Thanks for the honest answer. Lots of people do seem to have oil leak problems with girdled blocks, putting a roller cam in an engine that did not come with one from the factory does add up, and the GN1s are far from free but aftermarket LS heads do not come cheap either.

Take care, Kip

Is there reason you guys are going with the edlebrock jr style intake versus the stock style intake that come on the cameros and vettes?

The stock ls1 intakes require fbody accessories. I'm using truck accessories so those stock intakes wouldn't work. Plus I will admit, I like the look of the eldelbrock.

I may end up doing the Edelbrock style intake in the future, if it and the elbow will fit for Kevin then they will for sure fit under my hood. I'll wait and see before buying one. I'm using a stock truck intake for now.

I'm using those headers from eBay.

Had some professional head work done today by my 9 year old. He wanted to try and wouldn't leave me alone so I put him to work. I had him grind off the meat around the rocker arm bosses in the ports then I went in and smoothed it all up.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120516_225650.png
    ForumRunner_20120516_225650.png
    330.1 KB · Views: 123
The ebay headers have the turbo mounting flange? Or youre fabbing that part up?

Im looking to turbo my 5.3 gmc truck....passeger side header is the most exspensive hot pipe item...do you have a link to the headers youre using...TIA....sorry for off topic?