An idea how many WE4's with the WO2 made

That look quite stealth. The chrome bumpers gives the car some character IMO.

Thanks......... that is what I was going for. Some people I know got bent out of shape about it and I simply said........."Hey, its MY car, I can do whatever I want with it!" :D

1987 Buick "t"

HI EVERYONE !

DENNIS - how about the 1987 LeSabre T-Type ?

COLORS - black, white, silver, & maroon

I've only ever seen 1 maroon :smile:

1987 "t"

DENNIS: as I think back 20 + years, the '87 LeSabre T/Type
was red, not maroon.

THANKS to everyone on this site, for all the TR info -
I've been away from them for a long time !:smile:

I know it was the Lesabre T type. As far as colors I'll take a stab in the dark: White, black, tan, dark red metallic.

What may be confusing some is that the WO2 black out package did not include the bumpers. The package was the door handles, the headlight and taillight bezels and surrounds, the window moldings, and I think the fixed mast antennas as well. It was these items that were no longer available "blacked out" on a black car after the introduction of the WE-4's. You could still get a black Regal turbo but these parts would be chrome. All non-WE-4, non-GN(X)'s should have had chrome bumpers. I remember seeing one white T back when these cars were newish, don't remeber if it was an '86 or an '87, that had black bumpers and the owner swore it came that way. So to answer your question, all of them. 1547 to be exact.

We-4

WE-4' s only came in black, with black bumpers,T- wheels , aluminium
bumper brackets, aluminium drums, and solid grey interiors. 1547 were built in
1987. All had the blacked out package. they were sold as a light wt. car.
:smile:

Attachments

• 1987 Buick Turbo T WE4 008.jpg
    1987 Buick Turbo T WE4 008.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 265
  • Copy (2) of Our Cars 061.jpg
    Copy (2) of Our Cars 061.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 255
kirban 2 cents worth

On the WE4 input, there will probably always be confusion on this car most of which was set in motion by Buick when they did it. As stated it was marketed as being lighter than a GN and for the most part many of them were not loaded with options as options translates into addition weight.

The big weight savings right off the get go was in the wheels, 28lbs each versus I think around 17 pounds each. The downside is the T rims are next to impossible to keep clean because of the texture surface and screw ups previous owners may have made in using a caustic cleaner on them.

I have owned a total of 14 WE4s out of 318 of the 1986-1987 Turbo Regals. The year 2000 I had 5 which was the big year for them for me.

So in the scheme of things they are rare, yet popular enough that most Turbo owners recognize the car as being special.

I have had some original ones that had Regal name plates on the rear quarter panel and probably just as many that have not. Which is correct? I don't really know.

They should have the square boxed T emblem on the fender. No spring loaded header ornament, and should have Buick and sfi emblem on the trunk lid with teh sfi on drivers side and the Buick on the passenger side. (The one pictured above my post is not correct).

Remember assembly workers morale was quite low when these cars were being built. So mistakes happened, poor paint jobs happened more often than nice ones rolled out of Flint/Pontiac.

Good comments in above posts

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Out of the 14 I may have had 2-3 that had good/great paint.

kirban 2 cents worth

We got a winner to my question whoever WH1 is send me a private email denniskirban@yahoo.com with your full name and address will send you a nice Turbo Buick gift.

The 1987 LeSabre T-Type is correct. The key was in the question stating what 4 colors. Reason the Riv was not correct as in my literature the Riv T-Type was available in 5 different colors and they were paint codes 14, 28, 40, 72, and 84 wiith a silver lower accent paint treatment. (Similar to a Designer series or two tone Regal). That T-Type option on the Riv was $1,844.00 additional.
Total production for Rivs in 1987 was 15,233 of which only 2,587 were T-Type package Rivs.

Not knocking the Rivs of that time period, they were not very well received in my opinion.

The LeSabre T-Type, was offered for a total of 3 years 87-88-89. Each year same basic 4 colors only. The colors were black-white-silver-maroon.

I have no idea which is the rarest but from what I have seen I agree probbaly burgundry. (I did own a 1987 years ago) Great riding cars did have one of the ugliest wheels Buick made).

Total production for the entire 3 year run was about 16,000. Count each year was pretty similar in production. They did use the same pallex black and grey cloth as the GN as one of the main seat options for 1987 only.

The upgrade was black leather...ashame never did it in our cars!!! The other neat feature thee cars had was a really nice full analog gauge cluster. I think the 1987 speedo read up to 85 and the later ons read to 100 or 120. Again playing off my memory.

Watch next post for next trivia question.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com
Keep the posts coming.....enjoy
1WH1 send me pm so I have your address to send your gift!!! Good thing I stuck with your lst answer I would have accepted either since its s close maroon/red.

Also speaking of factory goofs,the bumper reinforcements,have heard of steel in the front and aluminum in the rear (like mine).Also have heard that they got aluminum drums?

We-4

Dennis, 1st owner had the car repainted and body shop put the emblems on the wrong side. The car is going to be repainted and that will be corrected.:smile:

Also speaking of factory goofs,the bumper reinforcements,have heard of steel in the front and aluminum in the rear (like mine).Also have heard that they got aluminum drums?

kirban 2 cents worth

As for the steel and aluminum braces being on the same car. To verify this look at your trunk ID label. I don;t know the codes for steel as I never paid any attention to them however aluminum is VD6 and VD7. What if either or both codes are on your car from that we can determine if its a screw up or?

Assuming you are not the first owner, a good number of these cars were crashed in the early years and when body shops would have to replace front end parts that explains how you could have a steel front as I believe they were cheaper and easier to come by. Remember a body shop is interested in fixing a car back then not doing a 100% exact resto project. Plus the owner would have never known back then in most cases what brace is correct.

As for aluminum brake drums they seem to be on non posi (G80) applications. However with 20 plus years some of them have been changed out because of nto having enough meat on them for inspections and currently no aftermarket company I am aware of has produced aluminum brake drums for the masses.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Know enough to keep it going....

Well VD7 was listed on the tag but not VD6. Guess that solves that one,still odd optioning none the less?

Well VD7 was listed on the tag but not VD6. Guess that solves that one,still odd optioning none the less?

kirban 2 cents worth

Well, that is a first for me seeing one VD aluminum bumper brace code and not both. On the plus side that is a good thing had it read VD 6 and VD 7 then I would think car was hit and brace was replaced with a steel reinforcement bumper brace.

If you get a chance print your trunk ID label under my other thread trunk ID numbers see what other "quirks" your car may or may not have.

The thread is also under turbo lounge has alot of interest and this would be interesting and more for that thread that I am doing.

Now when you go to Buick events you can see what others have related to the VD6 and VD7 codes.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Member much of my info is based on books I have and what I have owned/seen.

No one can challenge Dennis' knowledge of these cars for sure from all he owned. I still have the 87 white limited with black out package I bought from him in 1994 with 61K on it, car now has 67K on it. It still pure stock with orginal Goodyear tires on it and a few burn marks from the polishing wheel his son took to the paint but that's OK I love this car and got it for a steal.

A very pleasant experience buying a car from Dennis and would recommend anyone to him.

I must be brain dead, Or just getting old

So since my car has codes WE4 and W02 does that mean it came with chrome bumpers ( There black on the car now) I also have the aluminum bumper supports, Was then my car build before the change over in mid Nov of 1987?

WE4 cars had the wo2 option because of the blackout trim, it was an rpo included when you got the we4 option, that is why it is listed. SOOOO, you are in the 1547 group with me:cool: Aside from my weird option combo

So since my car has codes WE4 and W02 does that mean it came with chrome bumpers ( There black on the car now) I also have the aluminum bumper supports, Was then my car build before the change over in mid Nov of 1987?

kirban 2 cents worth

All WE4 examples had black bumpers basically on the outside looked like a GN. Most were sold with few options but could be ordered with any options. The aluminum bumper braces VD6 and VD7 I honestly don;t know if every one of them came equipped that way.

Since Buick promoted them as lighter cars, they may have done that as they wanted to keep the mpg up to meet the government requirements, with the game plan being to crank out more GNs because more profit is associated with the GNs reason they wanted to go another 10,000 at the end of 1987.

Its all about numbers and marketing like any other business trying to make a profit.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Don't claim to know it all but enough to score pretty high on a test.