An Idea; Decrease your "Hot Air Tuning Curve"

Hey guys,

I think this is an awesome thing. Thanks goes out to turbo tweak.

I would like to run E-85. Would this set-up be able to keep up with the demands. Of course with the supporting mods to go along with it.

I also would like to run alky on top of that down the road.

Would this work?

Thanks

It will work fine with E85. It is treated no differently than gas.

Thanks to everyone for all the support!

Eric

Awsome - more money to be spent. Thanks Jerryl and Eric !!

For the record; The credit belongs to TurboTweak.
I just told him that all;) you HA people would LOVE to buy this chip if he would consider writing a WB controlled HA specific chip. :cool:

FYI;
- If the temp drops 30-40F, you may need to add about 10% more fuel. ( A bit foggy on the exact numbers ;) )
- If you tune with a winter blend, you may need to adjust a little for a summer blend.
- If you run with a 10.8 :1 street tune, you may need a 11.2:1 with race gas.
So, why chase the tune when you can set the target, and have this chip do it for you? :cool:

Now if only he'd work on a chip for the CC carbed guys like me. I'm not ready to go SFI and there are others as well. Please Eric, see if you can make one for us in the Before Black class.

I just received Eric M's latest version of the SD chip (free of charge update :D ). I plan on spending my upcoming 3 day weekend re-tuning the car.

I Like This

Id like to perform this conversion on my 85 wh1 in the coming weeks since ill already have exhaust system removed for installation of a 3 inch downpipe and exhaust system, as well as welding up my cracked exhaust manifold (pass. side). Ive got a wideband for tuning (LM1) but would just as soon buy another stand alone like the LC1 or similar to hardwire into the car to stay there.

Who do I contact for ordering the powerlogger, TT wideband chip, and an 87 ECM/MAF combo all at once? I guess I need an IAT sensor and wiring as well. I want it to be plug and play compatible so I can swap it back to the old ECM if necessary, but my MAF just went out and its not as easy to find the early units as the 86-87 style.

Also a worthwhile question, once the "learning" is performed by the ECM with regards to part throttle and full throttle operation and the tune is perfected based on the chosen AFR, is there a way that we can "lock" these tuning parameters in the chip so as to keep it there? I realize differences in altitude, temperature, baro pressure, etc all play a role in the day to day variations that exist as tuning issues and that leaving it in WB tracking mode may serve to be better in the long run. However I also have had WB sensors fail on a whim and dont want to be without a car that runs correctly if such a thing happens. Id rather have a saved prom calibration from a few days prior that works correctly while I wait on my new wideband sensor should a failure occur. Thanks!

....... Who do I contact for ordering the powerlogger, TT wideband chip, and an 87 ECM/MAF combo all at once? I guess I need an IAT sensor and wiring as well. I want it to be plug and play compatible so I can swap it back to the old ECM if necessary, but my MAF just went out and its not as easy to find the early units as the 86-87 style.
Good question;
You can get the PL, chip and MAF from TT. :cool:
(I think he still carries the MAF). You will need the translator to have the MAF work correctly.
There is another option: SD (Speed Density) which eliminates the MAF and relies on MAP, MAT, and WB, along with other factors (LV, TPS, Speed, RPM) to get the correct fueling.

The IAT/MAT set-up can be had from CaspersElectronics

....... Also a worthwhile question, once the "learning" is performed by the ECM with regards to part throttle and full throttle operation and the tune is perfected based on the chosen AFR, is there a way that we can "lock" these tuning parameters in the chip so as to keep it there? I realize differences in altitude, temperature, baro pressure, etc all play a role in the day to day variations that exist as tuning issues and that leaving it in WB tracking mode may serve to be better in the long run. However I also have had WB sensors fail on a whim and dont want to be without a car that runs correctly if such a thing happens. Id rather have a saved prom calibration from a few days prior that works correctly while I wait on my new wideband sensor should a failure occur. Thanks!

Another GREAT question. :wink:
Part of racing is making sure things work.
No different than a fuel pump or valve spring that can fail at any time.

Having said that . . .
There are some good reasons you want the WB control.

Temp fluctuation;
There could be a 15% fuel difference from 80-30F.
If you go to 30F, the 15% fueling difference could do some damage.

Winter vs summer blend;
Even if everything worked fine, you could potentially have a tuning issue.
You can tune around the WB, but will never have the resolution and control without it, with the gas differences.

Differences in humidity and baro.
These are the things that change that decrease the state of the tune.
The WB control takes that headache out!

Other variables: Filter, pump, etc
Filters change over time i.e. "They get dirty". That is just what they are designed to do.
With a dirty filter comes a potential other issue; Fuel flow
Same with a weakening pump.

Yes, you should monitor fuel pressure, but again, it the pump gets a little weak on a run, you can do a lot of damage QUICK!
Now, the WB control will not eliminate the issue, and this feature should never be used to cover up this kind of thing, but it will react faster than your foot, and just "may" save the day.

Having said all that . . . ;)
In the same chip, you can get the BLM number to "99" and it will no longer be "closed loop" and rely on the WB.
How cool is that? :cool:

so to make this work we need to convert to 86-87 computer with a ls1 maf and maf-t. Using it in wideband setup I would be able to convert to e-85 and spray methanol? And it compensates itself? This sounds too good to be true. I'm interested. This way I can stay even more stock appearing.

so to make this work we need to convert to 86-87 computer with a ls1 maf and maf-t. Using it in wideband setup I would be able to convert to e-85 and spray methanol? And it compensates itself? This sounds too good to be true. I'm interested. This way I can stay even more stock appearing.

This works fine except spraying methanol with E85 is unnecessary. LT1 MAF, 80 injectors and a custom TT6.0 chip and you are good to go. Brad

i agree with above. however if you run out of injector you can spray meth on top to bring the duty cycle back down ;)

well i figured the E85 would be used as the main fuel source and octane booster and the methanol as a supplementary octane booster and primarily as a chemical intercooler. I'm gonna setup a new thread with parts i feel I will need and get everyone's advice on it.

Bump! So whats the better option, the SD chip or this setup the threads about?

Bump! So whats the better option, the SD chip or this setup the threads about?
Both work great. Depends on the user. If you like to keep playing with every part of the tune, the SD chip is for you. If you like to put in the chip and drive, the WB 6.x is better.

Both will work GREAT right out if the box.

Last edited:
I plan to do E-85 eventually, was planning to get the 80lb injector chip combo, but just found this thread.