Am i leaving HP on the table?

TheYak

Hello everyone, just kicking around the idea of upgrading to the FAST system instead of the Translator Gen II that I currently have. Also, I will be moving to Florida (military) this summer and will be within driving distance of Cal's shop for dyno tuning.

My question is, would anyone be able to guess how much potential there is to gain with the FAST and dyno tune by Mr. Hartline? My GN has a freshly built Weber stroker (249ci), Champion ported irons/intake manifold, 210/210 roller cam w/ 1.65 rockers, single nozzle Razor alky, Precision 6765 dbb turbo, 60# injectors, 70mm tb and plenum, RJC front mount intercooler, PTC 3200 lockup w/ built trans. Hoping for over 500 hp/500 tq at the wheels that has street good street manners. Do you think the FAST is the next logical upgrade? After that I think upgraded brakes might be in order!

Any opinions would be appreciated, thanks!

Tuning ability and all the calibrated sensors to back it up will gain anyone power. I love my SD2 setup and all the features flex fuel ect. your combo looks good for at least 500 .

The next upgrade would be get rid of that 3200 stall 10" converter. You are making too much power for it, and it is not going to couple. You need either a 9.5 PTC non lock, or give Full Throttle a call and get a lock up Revolution converter.

Possibly, but I trust that Dusty set me up pretty good. I'll keep that in mind though thanks for the info...
The next upgrade would be get rid of that 3200 stall 10" converter. You are making too much power for it, and it is not going to couple. You need either a 9.5 PTC non lock, or give Full Throttle a call and get a lock up Revolution converter.[/QUOTE

your goal of 500 is modest
the converter you have is fine for that goal but ..in your words ..theres more on the table
that combo should make over 700 and run just into the 9s ..kidglok did 9.90@ 137 ,alky dual nozzle , 212 roller, champ irons , 1.55s , 6765 journal ,XFI , dusty 9.5 converter on a 234cube at 28psi
but youll need the fuel for that and the 60s and if on a single pump they will be close to their limit even with a volt boost ..they have gone there , melissa car went 9.90 137 on 60s, alky and single with a 67turbo on a tt chip but why run on the edge . if jumping to XFI you can run low ohm peak and hold injectors , id do 83s (3105 seimens) AN fuel lines and a double pump
also if plans are to push the boost make sure you have proper heat range plugs and gapped for it ,I dont recommend upper 20s boost on a r43 plug

Last edited:
I have used a 10" 3200 stall PTC, and it is way too loose under power for a 10 to 11 sec car. It was flashing to 5500 in a high 10 sec car. I put a 17 blade PTC in the car and it made a huge difference.

Hoping for over 500 hp/500 tq at the wheels that has street good street manners.
I wouldn't complicate/spend that kind of money on an aftermarket computer for 500 hp,the stock computer is more than capable.now changing your goals is another story.

your goal of 500 is modest
the converter you have is fine for that goal but ..in your words ..theres more on the table
that combo should make over 700 and run just into the 9s ..kidglok did 9.90@ 137 ,alky dual nozzle , 212 roller, champ irons , 1.55s , 6765 journal ,XFI , dusty 9.5 converter on a 234cube at 28psi
but youll need the fuel for that and the 60s and if on a single pump they will be close to their limit even with a volt boost ..they have gone there , melissa car went 9.90 137 on 60s, alky and single with a 67turbo on a tt chip but why run on the edge . if jumping to XFI you can run low ohm peak and hold injectors , id do 83s (3105 seimens) AN fuel lines and a double pump
also if plans are to push the boost make sure you have proper heat range plugs and gapped for it ,I dont recommend upper 20s boost on a r43 plug
Wow, are you guys serious? I was just shooting for a car that would run a 10.99 with the wick turned up. Looks like I over did it (which is better than under)! I had a feeling that the injectors were a little undersized for the combo but didn't think about the converter. Thank you both for the advice! Looks like I'll go with the xfi for sure, probably upgrade the fuel system as you recommended. I'm deployed right now but will post the results in the fall

Wow, are you guys serious? I was just shooting for a car that would run a 10.99 with the wick turned up. Looks like I over did it (which is better than under)! I had a feeling that the injectors were a little undersized for the combo but didn't think about the converter. Thank you both for the advice! Looks like I'll go with the xfi for sure, probably upgrade the fuel system as you recommended. I'm deployed right now but will post the results in the fall
Thank you for your service to our country.

Thank you! Proud to serve, looking forward to looking down that hood again when I get back.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 91
You'll certainly be putting down well north of 500 to the wheels when tuned in correctly. That's a killer combo. Any chance the heads were sanded?

its not in your engine description but what headgaskets are you running and what hardware holding heads on.
and yeah incase you didnt get from my reply ..that 10" converter isnt going to be happy with the HP you could make . at 500hp it will be but not 700

its not in your engine description but what headgaskets are you running and what hardware holding heads on.
and yeah incase you didnt get from my reply ..that 10" converter isnt going to be happy with the HP you could make . at 500hp it will be but not 700
Understood and agreed. I am running cometics with ARP hardware....

500 hp? yea at like 18 lbs of boost with that combo. you shud look into an SD2 chip. for ur goals its WAY more then u need. but the XFI is considerably better obviously but not needed.

Understood and agreed. I am running cometics with ARP hardware....
thats good just wanted to make sure you werent on felpros aqs i wouldnt try to push them as far as the combo can go
if you haven't done it aready and assuming you have some run time on the motor it wouldn't be a bad idea to do a retorgue (to 80#) on the head studs before cranking it up

thats good just wanted to make sure you werent on felpros aqs i wouldnt try to push them as far as the combo can go
if you haven't done it aready and assuming you have some run time on the motor it wouldn't be a bad idea to do a retorgue (to 80#) on the head studs before cranking it up
Good idea. There's about 1000 miles on the new motor and a few blasts at about 15 PSI, probably a good time for a retorque....

500 hp? yea at like 18 lbs of boost with that combo. you shud look into an SD2 chip. for ur goals its WAY more then u need. but the XFI is considerably better obviously but not needed.
Brett, I've thought about going that route. Problem is, I'm hesitant to get into my own tuning. Would rather just take it to a pro like Cal and not really have to F with it too much again. I understand that changes in the weather will affect tuning but for the most part I plan on getting everything set and just enjoying the car on the street.

Both Cal and XFI are excellent choices.

I am running a similar combo minus stroker and smaller turbo, and was looking for similar results. Car is on a MAF chip with upgraded fuel system. Bison did the tuning and absolutely exceeded my ecpectations. There is zero concern on hitting those numbers whichever way you end up going. As stated, converter may be the weak link pending the number.

Thank you for your service and make it back home safe!

the SD2 wud require tuning just like the XFI. u will not need to make further changes after its tuned. its a lot cheaper and for ur goals the XFI just isn't needed. but it is superior no doubt

Brett, I've thought about going that route. Problem is, I'm hesitant to get into my own tuning. Would rather just take it to a pro like Cal and not really have to F with it too much again. I understand that changes in the weather will affect tuning but for the most part I plan on getting everything set and just enjoying the car on the street.

The sd2 is a great set up. There is nothing wrong with a chip set up. I think there is more to gain in a converter swap than spending 2000 on an XFI.