Alzheimer disease.

I see this disease daily......very sad !
I do a lot of work in retirement communities. We install wonder management systems , nurse call systems, Maglocks, & access control systems to alarm locally as well as nurses station computers and pagers to try to keep the residents ( not patients...) safe. It is nice to see them smile at the smallest of things.
My wifes grandmother was sharp as a tack until about age 92, then went downhill very rapidly to where she didnt even recognize most of her very large family, she had 13 children, many grandchildren and great grandchildren....so sad to see this happen before your eyes and feel so helpless.....

Bryan

I don't how you do it, Bryan....just don't. Everytime I visited Mom in rehab, I'd see what you saw, and my eyes would just break, along with my heart. Just don't know how you do it. You are a good soul.

Bruce '87 Grand National

A friend of mine's dad had this while his mom had ALS at the same time. ALS is another bad one. We found out my dad had ALS 2 years ago, he died last month. He was of sound mind but couldn't even itch his own nose for the last 6 months.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Truly the saddest disease I have had the misfortune of seeing. My Gradma had it and eventually lost her life to it. She smoked one to two packs of cigarettes a day and in the end of the disease forgot she smoked. If she would have got cancer it would have been better than watching what Alzheimer's did to her. I will tell you this when I went to the home to visit her and sneak in some chocolate we always found something that made us smile with each others company. To anyone going through this, try and find a moment that you will cherish when they are gone, I have mine.

Last edited:
A friend of mine's dad had this while his mom had ALS at the same time. ALS is another bad one. We found out my dad had ALS 2 years ago, he died last month. He was of sound mind but couldn't even itch his own nose for the last 6 months.

Sorry for your lost bro.may he RIP.

My Father had this disease the last 2 years of his life. He passed away in Jan 2011 and Mom left us in
Aug the same year. The 2 things that bring a tear to my eye is when I would be leaving the nursing home,
after visiting him, h
e would always think that I was going to be taking him home with me....and the other
thing was that sometimes he would not recognize me. Alzheimer's is a terrible disease to have. I think it
is worse for the family than it is for the person suffering from it. God bless all that have to deal with it.

My Father had this disease the last 2 years of his life. He passed away in Jan 2011 and Mom left us in
Aug the same year. The 2 things that bring a tear to my eye is when I would be leaving the nursing home,
after visiting him, h
e would always think that I was going to be taking him home with me....and the other
thing was that sometimes he would not recognize me. Alzheimer's is a terrible disease to have. I think it
is worse for the family than it is for the person suffering from it. God bless all that have to deal with it.
There was one occasion when Rick tried to get on the elevetor to leave with his daughter, that is soul crushing.

Truly the saddest disease I have had the misfortune of seeing. My Gradma had it and eventually lost her life to it. She smoked one to two packs of cigarettes a day and in the end of the disease forgot she smoked. If she would have got cancer it would have been better than watching what Alzheimer's did to her. I will tell you this when I went to the home to visit her and sneak in some chocolate we always found something that made us smile with each others company. To anyone going through this, try and find a moment that you will cherish when they are gone, I have mine.
Great advice, this guys daughter made him a nice family picture album but they are both hot shits n its more the potty talk humor from her that gets him smiling from ear to ear, n she will always have that image.

"Heisenberging" but its ok .. Kevin im sorry to hear that shit man, seems you had to deal with two of the worst, must give give you a whole new perspective..

My co-workers wife just finished publishing a book on her dealings with it
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0982927762/ref=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_0
She had a sister that had it. When she was diagnosed with it she decided to make a diary in hopes for one day finding a cure. One of those strange coincidences but someone overheard her story at a bar and decided to publish it. Seems like there were a lot of those "coincendital" moments in her story that helped her sister be somewhat comfortable.

Sometimes i wonder if its just the stress of dealing with life nowadays that takes a toll on the brain. Seems like people are getting it a lot younger than i remember.

Last edited:

You are a good soul, Kevin. Very good advice from someone who has experience in this. I've been trying to find moments like you suggest with my Mom, but, it's hard to keep my composure mostly.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Well I remember visiting my Grandma one time and I brought her some turtle chocolates to the home.:D So we are having a good time and the nurse comes over and says she can't have that. :confused: So I ask in a straight face " why is it going to kill her" I look at Grandma and she has that, so proud of her grandson look on her face:p Then another time I went in with a couple hamburgers from a local establishment that she use to take me when I was a little guy, should have seen all the old people watching us:LOL: Okay lets turn this thread around and share some memories:cool:

Sorry for the heavy topic but a recent visit to a dear friends dad had such a profound affect on me, just wanted to share a little and invite any of you who might be going thru this hell to share your story too, but I do hope its nothing but crickets after this post.

I've known this gentleman for 25 years, he raised a beautiful family, kept a beautiful home, ran a cleaning /maintenance buisness, had a real clean older vette, a summer home up in Maine & all along was just a down to earth, happy, kind simple man. I would consider myself succesful to be 25% this guy is.

In 2007 at the young age of 54 he began showing early symptoms. Five years later at 59 he was commited to an alzheimers nursing home wich is where I visited with him over the weekend. I didn't know what to expect but quickly realized when I approached him in his chair (alarmed so as not to wonder away) for a hand shake and was met with just a kind of glazed over look. My friend (his daughter) & I sat with him and the other patients in the community room, the staff started seving dinner (slop) and I said screw this i went out and got him his favorite fish and chips from tbe 99 restaurant wich his daughter served him in small bites, he seemed to really enjoy
it as he would close his eyes and chew slowly, then quickly look for more.

I observed a table of four feisty old ladies all kind of grinning and I remarked to my friend it looks like they're ready to start a food fight, to my surprise he stopped chewing and started laughing softly, it was the highlight of the day to see him smile!

As I looked around the room I realized these were folks who likely worked hard and loved harder for ......this. Suffice it to say many of the "life or death" moments in my day/week/month are officially in the petty column. I recall reading Dennis Kirbans old grand news mailings in my twenties and he would often write enjoy your car while you can rather than let it sit, it will only become something to be sold off after your dead or disabled, those words ring a little more true now.

I dont know how to attach a photo but a I made a pic of Richard and his daughter my avatar..

Richard passed away today with his loving family by his side.

Rest in peace Rick.

God bless you Janae, you gave all you had like none other ever could.

Oh, man, I'm just so sorry. That's the saddest news. I just don't know what else to say. I'm so sorry.

Bruce '87 Grand National

My condolences. Sounds like he was a great guy.

Thank You Guys, she reads this thread from time to time and your words will bring her some comfort, Lord knows she deserves it, thanks again..

Sorry to hear that, I feel for anyone that has to go through this. Tell your friend to cherish each day because it is only going to get worse. My father had it and passed away not knowing anyone around him. He would stare at me no knowing who I was. It was very hard seeing him. I had a great aunt that passed away a couple of years ago at 99, she was put in a home 15years and lost more and more of her memory.

I don't how you do it, Bryan....just don't. Everytime I visited Mom in rehab, I'd see what you saw, and my eyes would just break, along with my heart. Just don't know how you do it. You are a good soul.

Bruce '87 Grand National

I know exactly how you feel. My buddy is going through the same thing right now with his mother. He gets very upset every time he visits her and I told him the saddest part is it is only going to get worse. My biggest fear is being just like that stuck in an old age home. Your brain is made up of 65% fat and one of the worst things you can do is go on a low fat diet. You need good fat in your diet. Then there is the excess minerals that can cause this. Either way we need better research in the field!