aluminum radiator choice

instead of using the f-body radiator, you can order a replacement radiator from the auto parts store made for the turbo regal. It is now made from the same aluminum core and plastic end tank as the f-body radiator, but the lower hose outlet is straight and not angled like the f-body for better fitment.

Out of all the radiators I've analyzed the Alradco was most effective but needs at minimum intrepid fans. The cheap F body is a close second. Also the F body radiators I've used (not sure if all off the same boat) all had decent transmission coolers in them that were comparable to the stock one. I've seen some Chinese aluminum radiators that performed worse than an F body. Regardless the fans are really the big divider. You need a lot of air to cool it. The hotter it is the more are required. If your transmission is hot you need even more. The fans have to cool the coolant in the core to well below the thermostat temp or the trans will not get adequate cooling and it adds quite a bit of heat to the cold side of the radiator after hard driving. Without airflow it doesn't matter what radiator is used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live in Houston where 100 degree days are the norm in the summer and highest temp I've seen in the 4 years I've had my alradco with dual extreme fans is 192 with AC on full blast sitting in Houston traffic. Without AC 175 is about as high as it gets.

I live in Houston where 100 degree days are the norm in the summer and highest temp I've seen in the 4 years I've had my alradco with dual extreme fans is 192 with AC on full blast sitting in Houston traffic. Without AC 175 is about as high as it gets.
What intercooler that's what makes the difference

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Wish I could keep my temps in check in 90 degree weather and traffic.

My set up is an alradco radiator, alradco hybrid fans and a GN1 super extreme fmic.

My temps creep up fast that I have to shutdown the AC.
In 80 degree weather the temps stay at about 180.

What intercooler that's what makes the difference

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Old ATR front mount. I've been wanting to switch to the Precision SLIC but I've heard conflicting reports on it fitting with the Alradco large fans. I personally don't think I need a front mount with Alky.

Also I just run water and RMI-25.

I've run the $500 alum ones - very very nice. For a driver, I'd get that. For a race car, get the fbody radiator if you're on a budget. My Fbody is out right now, considering putting in a alum in the T since the one I had in my GN was well worth the extra expense. The Fbody ran hotter in FL summers under 45mph, FWIW. Drive thru, it'd hit 200, but the alum one the temp never hardly even moved a bit, both used stock fans.

I've had one of the GN1 rads from TR Custom for 4 years now. Dropped right with no issues and has worked well with the Alradco slim fans. Also have an RJC FMIC and external trans cooler. Normal driving temps 170-180. If its in the mid 90's out and humid it will creep up to 200 and 210 with the AC on (which I rarely use).

Technically copper has a higher thermal conductivity than aluminum does. Copper weighs more, but at the temps in a car engine, thermal conductivity doesn't really play a huge factor. Aluminum is also a bit easier to manipulate in manufacturing depending on the alloy used.

As meenkeene518 said, copper cools better, but is heavier and much more expensive. IMHO, the slight cooling improvement probably doesn't justify the not-so-slight increase in cost.

The hottest day we've had up here in Alberta this summer was close to 30°C...about 86°F...and although that's not as sweltering as a hot summer day in Texas, the highest my coolant temp got with the F-body rad was 183°C. On average, it seems to run between 170 - 175 degrees. That's with stock intercooler & fan.

kirban 2 cents worth

We worked with Pypes which is a dividsion of Max Performance that also owns Cold Case and they did the correct radiator for the 1986-1987 Turbo Regals....

Works great...tad over your budget but then again isn't everything more than anticipated when working on these cars?

$379.95 plus shipping....

same company that does the pypes exhaust systems we been selling....

probably the best buy under $400 all aluminum with both coolers

also in stock.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I have one from one of those FBI Grand Nationals....you can have it, but it's full of bullet holes (about 150) from some high speed chase!:eek: A couple of cases of Stop Leak would probably help (somewhat:rolleyes:)

Bruce '87 Grand National
Are you sure its not out of the Bonnie and Clyde car?

kirban 2 cents worth

We worked with Pypes which is a dividsion of Max Performance that also owns Cold Case and they did the correct radiator for the 1986-1987 Turbo Regals....

Works great...tad over your budget but then again isn't everything more than anticipated when working on these cars?

$379.95 plus shipping....

same company that does the pypes exhaust systems we been selling....

probably the best buy under $400 all aluminum with both coolers

also in stock.

denniskirban@yahoo.com
What is the width of the cooling tubes?
How many rows of tubes are there?