aluminum radiator choice

buickGN3:16

any info on the best aluminim radiator that is $300 or less in price & is a direct replacement for the stock radiator?? thanks in advance

any info on the best aluminim radiator that is $300 or less in price & is a direct replacement for the stock radiator?? thanks in advance

There is no such thing as a real stock replacement alum radiator for a 1986-7 turbo Buick for $300 or less, as this radiator is unique to 86-97 TR's only.

Some off-shore alum radiators say they are, but not true.

Why do you NOT want the best radiator to be sure you use a quality replacement as you want to protect the engine and trans?

The Alradco is almost double your pricing, but worth every dollar!

An alternative is to use a new copper core on your existing end tanks, and it will cool as well as an alum radiator since copper will transfer heat better than aluminum.

There is no such thing as a real stock replacement alum radiator for a 1986-7 turbo Buick for $300 or less, as this radiator is unique to 86-97 TR's only.

Why do you NOT want the best radiator to be sure you use a quality replacement as you want to protect the engine and trans?

An alternative is to use a new copper core on your existing end tanks, and it will cool as well as an alum radiator since copper will transfer heat better than aluminum.

Cause no one in my town does core replacements & my end tanks arent in the best shape. also that is out of my budget.

Cause no one in my town does core replacements & my end tanks arent in the best shape. also that is out of my budget.

Stick an F body radiator in there for $100 bucks. You'll lose oil cooler and have to modify some lines, but they work very good, cheap, lifetime warranty at advanced auto, and are about half the weight. Otherwise, what Nick said. (y)

The F-body radiator will not stand up to our summer temps, and I think there is one in my spare parts pile?

If you are on a small budget, I will send you this radiator that is not a direct bolt-in, but many owners have used them, just pay for shipping.

If your stock radiator is trashed, send me the end tanks, and I will cover shipping to me.

Artificially aspirated engines are not usually a budget friendly affair. The Turbo Buick is no different.

By the time you purchase & adapt an alternative radiator, purchase, adapt & plumb auxiliary coolers for the transmission & engine oil, add up the time spent on the project, the bolt-in radiators that are sold by either ArizonaGN or ALRADCO, are not very expensive.

Plus they are a correct & proven design.

Last edited:
Love my alradco. I opted for the powdered chrome finish which I would highly NOT recommend (horrible durability, and will wipe off with brake clean). The rad itself performs extremely well though. Fit was perfect. Went from 200-205° temps during 80° ambient with A/C off to 162-165 under same conditions and a max of 180 on a 100° day we had here 2 weeks ago. This is all with a RJC 315 front mount and stock fan. I'm sure the 30 yr old OE rad was getting partially blocked but I'm still impressed. Only other thing that changed was I went from an antifreeze mix to distilled water and RMI25 in the new rad. Will have to drain amd add some coolant in november

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Love my alradco. I opted for the powdered chrome finish which I would highly NOT recommend (horrible durability, and will wipe off with brake clean). The rad itself performs extremely well though. Fit was perfect. Went from 200-205° temps during 80° ambient with A/C off to 162-165 under same conditions and a max of 180 on a 100° day we had here 2 weeks ago. This is all with a RJC 315 front mount and stock fan. I'm sure the 30 yr old OE rad was getting partially blocked but I'm still impressed. Only other thing that changed was I went from an antifreeze mix to distilled water and RMI25 in the new rad. Will have to drain amd add some coolant in november

good info, thanks.

good info, thanks. im thinkin about a jegs 31 x 19 aluminum rad with an external mounted jegs hi perf oil cooler to get the hot oil out the rad.

How much will that set up cost? Is it USA made? Not a supporting Buick vendor. Just playing devils advocate here not trying to upset you. Also keep in mind you will need a HUGE liquid to air oil cooler to make up the efficiency of the liquid to liquid in the stock type rad. Many people will tell you it isnt needed and they make out fine without oil coolers. Personally I like it

good info, thanks. im thinkin about a jegs 31 x 19 aluminum rad with an external mounted jegs hi perf oil cooler to get the hot oil out the rad.
How much will that set up cost? Is it USA made? Not a supporting Buick vendor. Just playing devils advocate here not trying to upset you. Also keep in mind you will need a HUGE liquid to air oil cooler to make up the efficiency of the liquid to liquid in the stock type rad. Many people will tell you it isnt needed and they make out fine without oil coolers. Personally I like it

it falls right at $300. i also used this same radiator in a 87 monte ss i had with a big block in it & it worked extremely well, thats why im considering going with the Jegs.

it falls right at $300. i also used this same radiator in a 87 monte ss i had with a big block in it & it worked extremely well, thats why im considering going with the Jegs.
http://buickgn.com/aluminum radiators.htm Closer to your budget and they have the oil and trans cooler in it. Not stock appearing at all but they work. Mine has been in for about 6 years now.
i am not at all worried about stock appearing as long as it cools & does its job. I have the stock intercooler moved to the front & still have a/c so the condensor is there also.. i like what i see here & thanks for info Mark!

I think we have a blemished one that got dented at our powder coater. We sell these at a big discount when it happens occasionally. Send me a PM and I'll check for you when I get in. BTW, this is an Alradco radiator.
Peter

I think we have a blemished one that got dented at our powder coater. We sell these at a big discount when it happens occasionally. Send me a PM and I'll check for you when I get in. BTW, this is an Alradco radiator.
Peter

There you go. Can't beat that.

I have a stock recored radiator if you are interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one from one of those FBI Grand Nationals....you can have it, but it's full of bullet holes (about 150) from some high speed chase!:eek: A couple of cases of Stop Leak would probably help (somewhat:rolleyes:)

Bruce '87 Grand National

I did the F-body swap, pretty much as described on GNTType.org. Added a separate engine oil cooler and re-routed the existing tranny cooler lines to the new rad's inlet/outlet ports. That required a bit of careful measurement and a tubing bender/cutter/flaring tool kit (already had it), a bit of work but not rocket science, by any stretch. After all was said and done, I was in it for about $250 or so Canadian, and saved myself $150 - $200 over the next cheapest alternative, with shipping cost factored in. The Alradco rad is a beautiful unit, that's for certain, but with exchange rates and shipping, would've set me back well over $700 Canadian.

It works great and runs nice and cool. I believe it was a Spectra CU951 rad.

Last edited: