Although I'm not an Elon Musk fan...

Would depend on my supply of eff you money and the decision of whether I need an income as to whether I'd depart.
As it sits now, I was an "essential" so other then the two weeks they had me take off when I was told I was positive I went to work every day. And I continue. Really a non issue for me. I gots me some bills.

Being that I commute to and from SF bay area, I want people to stay home. I believe sooner or later it was going to change back to way it was.
Many people sick and tired of being home all time.
I got so bored during the first 2 months of working from home I bought a small excavator to do some work in yard.
I like many of the old Musk guys ideas.
He says what he wants to say. Thats very refreshing round this part of the world I live in.
Brings me back to Netflix saying the employees can go f themselves if triggered.
Then come to find out Netflix money rolls these anti cop people running for office.

I actually would welcome going back in the office the way we had pre-covid. I had a 4 mile commute and our building was attached to a mall so it was easy to get away for lunch. We went WFH for the covid shit and during that time we were bought out by another company that made us 100% WFH; no more office space. After the retention bonus period is up I may go looking.

At my company everyone in the operations group including myself, the other mechanics, the machine shop and the test cell were deemed "essential". The rest of the company hunkered down at home and worked 2 hours a day for 2 years.

Early on in the pandemic there were some mitigating circumstances including child care since the schools were closed. Now the folks that have become used to zoom meetings and plenty of time off need to go back to work.

Another extension of the working from home phenomenon is that a portion of these same people have taken their over inflated salaries and moved to less expensive parts of the country. Personally I'd like to be able to do my same job in Mississippi and get paid what I do here in CA.

Neal

I'm in the Automotive Repair business and we are considered "essential". I have worked the entire time. Climbing in and out of other (some really nasty) people's cars, no sitting at home and watching Judge Judy and Dr. Phil for me. I sure learned to wash my hands!

I do have to admit though, when it first hit and EVERYTHING shut down, I burned up some Interstates somethin' fierce in my Buick... :)

Contrary opinion: If you're riding a desk and don't interact with customers directly or deal with manipulating a physical good, you don't need to work in an office. It's wasted money all around. Wasted space at the office. Wasted money and time for the commute. My car insurance has gone down since they sent me home for COVID because I'm not on the road anywhere near as much. Plus I don't give a flying monkey's rump about gas prices. They're completely irrelevant for me now. I can literally walk to the grocery store. Food's gone up a bit, but it hasn't come close to consuming what I've saved versus when I had to drive to work every day.

Companies should be measuring their salaried employees based on what they produce, not how many hours they worked to produce it. If I can meet all my objectives and make my boss look good in 20 hours a week, that's me being awesome, not lazy. I get to choose if I spend more time doing more awesome stuff, or dig into a new skills course, or pat myself on the back and head for the garage, or even take a nap. If my co-workers need 60 hours to pull off the same level of productivity, sucks for them.

If anything, the mass migration to remote work uncovered a lot of inadequacies. Suddenly people couldn't bullshit their boss in person anymore. Remote work forced everybody to adopt better management and tracking habits. The giant whiteboard with all the objectives on it turned into a spreadsheet and somebody's actually tracking what's being done and if it's getting done on time and who actually did it. When it comes down to checking off those action items, it becomes clear pretty quickly who is delivering and who isn't. We've squeezed a lot of people out that weren't pulling their weight. The first year was rough until everything re-aligned, but it's worked out long term, for me at least.