Alternator upgrade

The stock one is 120amp so just don't see the need for all the power unless you're going to use it for a backup whole house generator. Now if your car is a police cruiser with and the fancy electronics I understand.
And the stock one always fits with no modification.
That's Cool, I don't have a fancy police cruiser, but I do have AC, Lights, DVD, 2 Amplifiers, 15 Farret Cap,running 8 Speakers, not to mention few other electronic toys, the little 120 was struggling to keep up LOL

Had my stock Alt. rebuilt here in Connecticut at a old timer shop 310 amp with non China bearings
Been in the car 5 years

if you have high powered stereo equipment ....you should be using an audio capacitor ...period ...or dem big woofers and amps will still cause issues even with 200 amp alt... down the road ....

Alternator is in. Went well with the exception that the back smaller bracket that forks with the front one didn't line up. Doesn't seem to be too big of an issue and I am going to run it without it as people on here have done.
View attachment View attachment

Casper's positive cable has an upgraded alternator wire. The starter wire is longer if you go to a lightweight starter too.

if you have high powered stereo equipment ....you should be using an audio capacitor ...period ...or dem big woofers and amps will still cause issues even with 200 amp alt... down the road ....

Only if the stereo is pulling 200 amps constantly.

Now, thinking you can send 200 amps through the stock charge lead on the other hand... That will just end up being an engine compartment heater.

Alternator is in. Went well with the exception that the back smaller bracket that forks with the front one didn't line up. Doesn't seem to be too big of an issue and I am going to run it without it as people on here have done.

I was thinking you had to re-clock the housing on the Impala alternator to fit correctly.

But, then again, I run my car and it's stereo with my original alternator. So what do I know about 'lectricty. :)

Do your home work and restore a stocker, many upgrades can be done to make the charging system function and perform better. An alternator sold at the local parts store will typically fail prematurely, at least that has been my experience over the past 20 years. Remanufactures only replace the bad components and reuse the rest. Not a good equation when our Turbo Regals depend so much on the charging system for optimal horsepower and performance. Here is my last endeavor. Can't wait to try it out!

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 124
  • 0 bytes · Views: 112
  • 0 bytes · Views: 111
This one went 10's in my car for well over a year and is still on my shelf as a backup. Direct bolt-on, though I may have had to swap the pulley, can't remember.

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 66
I’m running a cs144 alt which is originally a 140amp and I rebuilt it with a 200amp upgrade kit from eBay for $95 . It was super easy and affordable. Plus my alternator has a lifetime warranty from Autozone.