alternator not charging battery

Michael LeRoy

Turbo newby
The light in the dash quit working so I changed the bulb. Still doesn't charge
With car running scan master on reads 11 volts and drops as I drive, instead of 13.5 or so
Had the Alternator tested. works fine.
Ran a multi meter across the volt bulb socket. getting 11.5 volts through the socket
Already have caspers v plus volt booster installed
Looking for where to go from here

might be a bad connection at the cluster-push in on the gauge cluster and see if it works then. if it does, pull the cluster out and clean all the contacts in the plug and on the printed circuit board with rubbing alcohol and a soft pencil eraser.. while you are in there, take a small screwdriver and bend the tabs on the plug up a little bit so they make better contact.. but don't go haywire when bending them up- you just want to bend them up a little bit...

casper's also makes a fix for the charging system eliminating the excite wire to the dash it's plug and play about 42.00 just installed on on may car 2 weeks ago after having alternator problems

I hate to be Caption Obvious here but when you replaced the bulb, does it light up now?

I had the same problem, went with the Caspers field fix and never had another issue.

X3 on the field fix.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

last i checked, the labor to pull the cluster and clean the contacts yourself is a lot less than the $42 for the Caspers crutch.

as for the field fix is that on top of the v plus booster i already have?

hiboom do you have the part number for it?

last i checked, the labor to pull the cluster and clean the contacts yourself is a lot less than the $42 for the Caspers crutch.

Maybe if you do it yourself. Not everyone works on their own stuff. $90+ an hour to work on stuff if you take it somewhere reputable around here.

I can buy and plug the field fix in , in about 15 min including the time on the interwebz ordering it.

I took the V booster off. The Field fix is plug n play and I've had it for 3 years now. As far as a crutch, call me a cripple, but that thing keeps me at 13.5 and above. I'm used to big block N/A cars and had a lot of trial and error with my GN, but the Field fix was easy.

Maybe if you do it yourself. Not everyone works on their own stuff. $90+ an hour to work on stuff if you take it somewhere reputable around here.

I can buy and plug the field fix in , in about 15 min including the time on the interwebz ordering it.

i guess if pulling a piece of plastic trim, removing a few screws, unhooking the speedo cable, and pulling the cluster out is too complicated then maybe the $42 might be money well spent..