Alternator No Longer Charging - Bug in Dash?

Terbro

Has Member
So, my (general) mechanic and I had a simple job the other day: R&R the speedometer cable. The existing one would spaz out, and stop, so time for a fresh one. Simple enough...which obviously requires removing the gauge cluster on the dash.

After that job was done, I noticed that in warming the engine up, the car died. By the way it sounded, I had a feeling it wasn't charging, and did verify that the alternator was no longer charging. My mechanic did discover that the alternator wire runs into the dash "plug" as he calls it. The big set of contacts that is actually integrated into the body of the gauge cluster, when one fits the cluster into the dash. Some of the contacts curved wire-style contacts appeared to have sunken down. So he thought when just needed to be brought back out, which he did.

He's tried cleaning them several times, checking the fuses, and still...no charging from the alternator. And yes, the alternator was charging fine before this happened. He has also confirmed that the alternator does produce a charge.

Any tips are greatly appreciated.

I should mention that I have a Gen2 Translator. My mechanic is suspicious that it's got something to do with it. We had to cram the speedo cable through the firewall, with some of the other wires going in and out of that hole. I did try to those wires, and couldn't find any that had separated...but confidence level isn't that high.

When my mechanic showed me the diagram that showed that the alt wire (single gray) goes from the alt to the dash cluster, we were both confident that it must be somewhere in the dash. But so far, no luck.

You may have disturbed, i believe the volt light bulb messing with the speedometer. Im not positive which but one of the dash light is directly related to charging. This is why sometimes you will driving along and boom, discharges. Dash vibration, old contacts ect. Try tapping on left side of dash with finger while watching your volt meter. Im sure someone else can exspain this better and in more detail. Its one those gremlin things.

You may have disturbed, i believe the volt light bulb messing with the speedometer. Im not positive which but one of the dash light is directly related to charging. This is why sometimes you will driving along and boom, discharges. Dash vibration, old contacts ect. Try tapping on left side of dash with finger while watching your volt meter. Im sure someone else can exspain this better and in more detail. Its one those gremlin things.

We did change a bulb or two. For instance, my check engine light was in the Washer Fluid light position, as I remember, so I corrected that. There may have been another bulb that was moved as well. I gave my mechanic your input to check the bulb. Thanks for the tip.

Your welcome, i had a similar prob a few years ago, driving along hit bump then discharge. I chased it for two years. Took my car to a real gn mechanic in philly,he tapped on the dash and bingo, charge. I just laughed. He fixed the bulb and or connection and no probs since. Could be your prob, charging issues suck,got to have those volts to boost.

Casper Electronics has a fix for this.

Field Fix Harness 1986-1989 GN/TTA
This simple "Plug-And-Play" harness is designed to assure un-interrupted charging system function. It provided backup current to the field of the alternator in case the engine's own system fails, assuring a fully charged battery under otherwise "tow-truck" conditions. A MUST HAVE add-in for your turbo Buick or TTA! Plugs into wastegate connector and alternator.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Gene - Did it stop the alt from charging completely? I ask because you say you chased it for two years, as if it just wasn't charging up-to-snuff, but still charging. And you mention that you need the volts for boost. My problem is zero charge of the battery, whatsoever. My car will stop running after a couple minutes.

Casper Electronics has a fix for this.

Field Fix Harness 1986-1989 GN/TTA
This simple "Plug-And-Play" harness is designed to assure un-interrupted charging system function. It provided backup current to the field of the alternator in case the engine's own system fails, assuring a fully charged battery under otherwise "tow-truck" conditions. A MUST HAVE add-in for your turbo Buick or TTA! Plugs into wastegate connector and alternator.

Does this have the alternator constantly charge the battery, or does it still regulate against overcharge? I see it here: http://www.casperselectronics.com/cart/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=604

If the volts bulb is burned out or not working, the alternator will not charge. When you turn the key to "on", before starting, does the volts light come on?? If not, replace the bulb and it should be charging. Casper's "field fix" is good "permanent" fix to this issue.

Not sure if still available, but Casper's also used to sell a replacement bulb for the dash volt bulb into a bypass, and fixing the blown volt bulb non charging issue...

Read this is from Caspers on Alternator with Charging System

Attachments

• alternator_charging_tech.pdf
    493.3 KB · Views: 213
I knew there was some good stuff out there, just couldn't put my finger on it.

As normal, call them.

Sent from my ME302KL using Tapatalk

Right...that was the plan tomorrow morning. And not only I'm about 2.5 south of Capser's, I'm going to Denver tomorrow. But I'm driving a tow truck, and it's still 42 miles south of my destination. So at 7 mpg, an extra 80+ miles to save a couple days shipping can't be justified. But...high hopes my mechanic will discover something afoul with the bulb. He works out of his house, and may be able to work on it after the job he's doing as we speak. So...he might have it figured out tonight.

The night we changed the cable, I think I remember *only* seeing the service engine light (in the back of my mind thinking "isn't there another light that should be on?")...I think that was the volts light not on. So I'm thinking that's it. The only question remains...why isn't the light on? If he discovers that the bulb is good, then we might still have a head scratcher.

Terbro, this is supposed to be a highly classified secret now its out.hahaha In answering your question, yea it completely stop charging. It was a nightmare for along time. I hope its this easy for you, i hadnt heard about this field fix from caspers so that might be a better way to go for overall fix, finicky little bitches these cars are. Sometime the bulb is ok just the connection in the back not working

Terbro I just removed my Field Fix when I installed Casper's engine harness. Had it on the car a couple years. You could have it for $35 shipped. LMK.