Alternator help please......

gened

I need to change an alternator on an 87 gn anyone have any tips like removing and replacing the belt or any tips at all before I start this?

Have you bought the alternator already or are you getting ready to buy it?

I know Autozone will install the alternator if you buy it from them,thats the easiest way i know of. :D

John :)

Disconnect the battery + cables, the wire on the back of the alternator is direct to the battery + so it's live. :eek:

Belt is 18mm wrench for the tensioner I think easy to get it off and leave it close to the alternator area so it doesn't slip off any of the other pullies if possible which makes it easy to reinstall.

Note how the rear bracket works and installs before you remove it so you get it back together correctly.

Long stud also has a nut on the front for some stuff too so make sure you write down the order it goes on if a stocker, I think it's the hold down for the radiator hose if I am remembering correctly, not sure I use that anymore. :p

Install is easy just the reverse of dismantling.

I use a bit of neverseize after wire brushing that long bolt so it glides smoothly through the alternator and threads nicely.

Make sure the new one is the correct one, with same pulley width for serpentine belt and the same diameter on it BEFORE you install it, if not you may have to change out the pulley on a bench or have someone do it.

Disconnect the battery + cables, the wire on the back of the alternator is direct to the battery + so it's live. :eek:

Belt is 18mm wrench for the tensioner I think easy to get it off and leave it close to the alternator area so it doesn't slip off any of the other pullies if possible which makes it easy to reinstall.

Note how the rear bracket works and installs before you remove it so you get it back together correctly.

Long stud also has a nut on the front for some stuff too so make sure you write down the order it goes on if a stocker, I think it's the hold down for the radiator hose if I am remembering correctly, not sure I use that anymore. :p

I use a bit of neverseize after wire brushing that long bolt so it glides smoothly through the alternator and threads nicely.

Make sure the new one is the correct one, with same pulley width for serpentine belt and the same diameter on it BEFORE you install it, if not you may have to change out the pulley on a bench or have someone do it.

+1, Also get a good alt, I got one from autozone and it was bad from day one, it left me stranded in NJ for 6 hours from calling the tow truck to getting home :mad:. Its not rocket science and probably one of the easiest Alt's to change in automotive history, you'll be fine.

You also should look how the alternator is orented. By that I mean the way the front half is located in a "clock" position in relation to the back half of the alternator. (where the mounting bolt/top hold-down bolt goes in relation to the rear part of the case) Make sure you get one orentated the same way or you might have a small problem running the wires to it. Upgrading to a '96-97 Impala 140 amp alternator is a good idea. NAPA sells real nice ones, too.

Bruce '87 Grand National

After years messing with autoz,adv,pepb i now take alt and starter to a local repair shop. Look in the phonebook.

Doing this for a road trip. Alt. Serp belt. Upgraded headlights. Hoses and clamps. All from Dennis Kirban, hope it all gets here in time to slap on, slash and dash! I'm sure this will help! Thanks from the year 2020 Year of Vision lol. @@@@@

Doing this for a road trip. Alt. Serp belt. Upgraded headlights. Hoses and clamps. All from Dennis Kirban, hope it all gets here in time to slap on, slash and dash! I'm sure this will help! Thanks from the year 2020 Year of Vision lol. @@@@@
How'd the trip go?