Alternator/Charging questions

OneQuikV6

Automotively bi-curious
Looks like the alternator is going. Using a DVOM on the back of the alt, it shows like 10.8v and about that at the battery. What do you guys recommend as a replacement? I have Autozone, NAPA and O'Reilly here locally. Would having the stocker rebuilt be a better choice? Any way of having to built to put out more like 14v? Reason for checking is the Scanmaster was showing 10v at idle with everything off.

Thaks in advance!

ps...if the voltage is checked at the stud in the back of the alternator...is it pretty obviously a bad alternator...or do I need to check other things first? I'm an electrical dumba** :eek:

do a search, i belive the 140 amp lt1 alternator fits. I know i read it on hear somwhere. when mine dies thats the route im going.

good luck,
Mike

I'm using a Pepboys new, not re-built, 140 amp alternator. It's listed in their parts computer as the replacement for the 120 amp stocker. Comes with an aluminum pulley and works fine. Lifetime warranty. Retail 3 years ago was @ $140.00.

HTH Jim

Between autozone,Napa and o'reilly. Autozone SUCKS! I bought 1 from o'reillys tuesday. It was like 104.00. NAPA is a good quality parts store also but a little more pricey.

FYI, after a bit of research, I found that the '96 Impala SS 140 amp alternator is a direct bolt-in. The only thing that I had to do was put new ring terminals on the wire that goes to the battery as well as the hot wire kit wire that goes to the alt. The terminal on the Impala Alt is bigger in diameter, so the smaller ring terminals would not fit. It's an easy get around and the newer alternator looks better anyway :) Check it out:

http://www.iland.net/~kpompe/impalaalt1.jpg