alky VS. exhaust pressure

4-71/Z-28

i have a question about EGT and exhaust pressure when spraying meth/water. ok, even though its not a buick i am a fellow GN owner and i know there is no other car crowd that knows more about alky than GN guys! i have a 76 triumph spitfire that i put an rb20det(skyline engine) into it has a ceramic turbo and has the tendency to... well explode when you puch them past 12-14psi because of the the egt's and pressure stress. so my question is this: i am currently already spraying meth on the car and was wondering if doing this reduces the egt;s and pressure so that i can get away with pushing it alittle harder? my reason for even thinking this is because i know when the alky kicks on spoolup slows down.

perhaps if you could be more specific as to "explode" you might get a helpful answer.

is it the turbine housing splitting from too much heat and pressure? if so you have way too small a hotside. (i know). what specifically is your turbo besides ceramic?

details details solves your problem.

howard coleman

Turbine blades have historically been produced with ceramic to reduce rotational mass and thus reduce spool up time. Nissan has historically produced impellers made of plastic in many of their production cars, for similar reasons. Your turbo falls under one or both of these categories. Your turbo will not hold up any better with alcohol injection than it will in any other application. Look on some nissan forums until you find a turbo suitable for stock engines that will not sacrifice much, but will still remain efficient up to 20 psi or more. Look for a more traditional design with less exotic materials. Ball Bearing center sections will help spool up time and most likely counteract any change that occurs by increasing the rotating mass over factory spec.

There is a correlation between EGT and timing. As there is air fuel ratio's being run. Low timing and high air fuel ratio's will make a hotter exhuast and cook anything.

So need also to look at data as to engine management run to make these types of decisions as well.

If your setup bogs when the system kicks on.. it is poorly designed. Either due to engine management or alky system design.

There is no blanket statement when it applies to injection. In the big picture it will reduce EGT's but only as a compliment to a properly tuned engine.

Exploding turbo's... if its a tuning issue.. alcohol will never fix it.