Alky mounting plate issues

Wld87GN

I have a Razor Alky kit and have had it installed for about 250 miles. I went out to the garage yesterday and noticed something was hanging under the car. Upon inspection I noticed that the alky pump mechanism is hanging as the mounting plate crumbled.

See the two pictures, has anyone seen this before or had this issue? This is weird as hell, the car was not hit, it did not hit anything, and like I said saw less than 300 miles since it was installed. My guess is vibration but these plates should not break that easily.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• alky bracket 1.jpg
    alky bracket 1.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 331
  • alky bracket 2.jpg
    alky bracket 2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 315
i use large flat washers on both sides of the bracket when i bolt the pumps up to the bumper

Probably a good idea. But I do not blame him.
I wouldn't, either. He may have use for the info, for a product upgrade.
I have a new kit on my 86T. It's not done yet, so I'll make sure to take precaution to avoid the same problem.
Paul has a good idea w/ the washers.

Maybe overtorqued(?) and +1 on using big washer to spread the load.... I forget but isn't that bracket aluminum?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Maybe overtorqued(?) and +1 on using big washer to spread the load.... I forget but isn't that bracket aluminum?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes it's aluminum, and it was not torqued down any more than you would want it to be. I used washers, but perhaps I should have used larger. It just sucked as I lost a day of good weather driving messin' around with it.

I've had my mounting plate break before around the holes, but not as bad as that. I ended up flipping the bracket around to use the other 2 mounting holes as a quick fix.

It shouldn't be too hard to make a bracket out of steel so it won't break again.

It looks like a caveman tried to rip it off bending it back and forth. Sabotage?

That is exactly what has me perplexed. This car sits in my barn that is climate controlled, only comes out on nice days to cruise or track days. I tried to flip it around the other way to use it for the time being, but the metal is so fragile it literally fell apart. They are only like $6 for a replacement, but I think I am going to fab a new one out of something stronger.

Seem to recall a negative reaction between aluminum & alcohol. Any leaks?

That bracket should probably be stainless or mild steel.

Perhaps some rubber bushings & large fender washers for the mounting.

You didn't use the rubber insulating bushings that come mounted in the plate.

You didn't use the rubber insulating bushings that come mounted in the plate.

The rubber insulators are mounted on the opposite side as it sits against the bumper. I am in the process of fabricating a new plate. I could buy a new one, but I like the idea of fabricating my own.

Seem to recall a negative reaction between aluminum & alcohol. Any leaks?

That bracket should probably be stainless or mild steel.

Perhaps some rubber bushings & large fender washers for the mounting.

No leaks, but... I do recall spilling a little of the alcohol when filling the last time.

This has happened to two of my pumps. My most recent one looks just like yours. My previous split right down the middle.
They need to be made better. Luckily I need a new pump anyway.

I went to install mine and I personally think the method described, pulling out 2 of the feet and using bumper bolts on one side is pretty mickey mouse. I'm surprised it took 250 miles for it to break.

I made a plate out of some 3/16" steel plate i had hanging around. I mounted the pump on the steel plate with 4 #12/24 bolts going through the rubber feet with a washer on top. To me it looks like the way the pump was meant to be mounted. Rubber feet absorbing some vibration. Then I mounted the new plate and motor on the bumper bolts.

Last edited:
the pump is intended for an rv/motorhome ..the rubber feet are to prevent vibration but there to prevent the pump from vibrating and being annoying in an rv as it would be if bolted directly to the floor or wall , the rubbers were never meant to be used in a vehicle
the best method would be to mount it as you would an external fuel filter or fuel pump with clamp mounts but to keep costs down pop two of the rubbers, twist the small tabs off with pliers , use washers on both sides to reinforce and bolt it up ..it has worked for many miles that way and on fast cars ,

I went to install mine and I personally think the method described, pulling out 2 of the feet and using bumper bolts on one side is pretty mickey mouse. I'm surprised it took 250 miles for it to break.

I made a plate out of some 3/16" steel plate i had hanging around. I mounted the pump on the steel plate with 4 #12/24 bolts going through the rubber feet with a washer on top. To me it looks like the way the pump was meant to be mounted. Rubber feet absorbing some vibration. Then I mounted the new plate and motor on the bumper bolts.
That's what I did...

Thats an easy fix. Make another plate with thicker alluminum or steel. I bolt mine in the same place but never had it break.

I installed mine about 4 yrs ago. No issues to date. But, my garage floor is very smooth...:bucktooth: