Alky/Meth Tank question with stock cooling tank...

Breze84

LORDVDR
Curious who is running Alky/Meth through the factory cooling tank. Because the pickup feed is low front side of tank. Do any of you feel if you have it the same way that once your meth got to about the halfway point maybe a little above and you were under boost that it would slosh back away from the pickup feed. I have the same system and my warning light comes on and beeps telling me im low "Caution" when in actuality Im 1/2 full. I have to keep it 3/4 to full to prevent that. I think I may tig up a aluminum tank with a rear low feed point. Was just curious... If you guys are running a different tank setup I would love to see what you guys have....

Thanks, Phil

You can see my pickup by the cooling tank, Low front...
GN engine.jpg

Not 1 single person here huh. Ok
Your coolant tank / Alky supply tank is the same as probably 95% of Buick owners out there. Plenty of cars running fast times with the tank. I have had the light flash briefly on harder acceleration with 1/2 tank but its just for a split second and only when I've not topped it off. Just like any other maintenance item. I make mental and muscle memory notes to check Alky and PRIME ALKY anytime my car has been sitting overnight... just because i don't want to be caught without either. As for as an Aluminum tank.... i wouldn't - Methanol and aluminum aren't good together if left in contact all the time... i would think it would start to eat/corrode the tank internally... and possibly cause bigger issues in the long run. Now Stainless on the other hand.... go for it! But unless you create a custom baffle system, you will still have the same issues.

aaron

Metco used to make a spare tire tank, but, good luck finding that. And yes, mine does that. I wish metco would make the spare tire tanks again. As that set up looked to be ideal (aside from plumbing it which I'd be fine with to get it out of engine bay).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These posts should answer your questions.... short answer: keep it topped off at the track.

https://www.turbobuick.com/threads/alky-injection-pressure-gauge.350676/#post-2807032

https://www.turbobuick.com/threads/wot-correction-off-with-alky.370524/page-5#post-2952349

My solution was to move battery to the trunk and rotate the alky tank 90 degrees and put in the stock battery location. Alky pickup is now in the back side of the tank so no more issues on hard launches. Pic in this post can show you where I've had the tank for the last 5 years:

https://www.turbobuick.com/threads/...turbo-to-the-limit.448354/page-5#post-3735294

Your coolant tank / Alky supply tank is the same as probably 95% of Buick owners out there. Plenty of cars running fast times with the tank. I have had the light flash briefly on harder acceleration with 1/2 tank but its just for a split second and only when I've not topped it off. Just like any other maintenance item. I make mental and muscle memory notes to check Alky and PRIME ALKY anytime my car has been sitting overnight... just because i don't want to be caught without either. As for as an Aluminum tank.... i wouldn't - Methanol and aluminum aren't good together if left in contact all the time... i would think it would start to eat/corrode the tank internally... and possibly cause bigger issues in the long run. Now Stainless on the other hand.... go for it! But unless you create a custom baffle system, you will still have the same issues.

aaron

I hear you Arron, Yea stainless wouldn't be a bad idea. I did think of making a baffle also, Kind of a divider in the center with holes to let it bleed between both sides and prevent sloshing. But I would feel that even without a baffle, A rear low feed would still be better then a low front feed. When you accelerate obviously the fluid is going to the rear of the tank, so it should always have a positive flow. Only time it would pull away from a rear feed is during braking. But obviously Meth is not being utilized during braking so. I appreciate the insight Aaron. Just may even keep it simple and get a different shaped tank and hang it vertical near the radiator or something. We will see....

Phil...

These posts should answer your questions.... short answer: keep it topped off at the track.

https://www.turbobuick.com/threads/alky-injection-pressure-gauge.350676/#post-2807032

https://www.turbobuick.com/threads/wot-correction-off-with-alky.370524/page-5#post-2952349

My solution was to move battery to the trunk and rotate the alky tank 90 degrees and put in the stock battery location. Alky pickup is now in the back side of the tank so no more issues on hard launches. Pic in this post can show you where I've had the tank for the last 5 years:

https://www.turbobuick.com/threads/...turbo-to-the-limit.448354/page-5#post-3735294
That was another option. Im limited on tank design up front do to the wheel well. So I considered moving the Battery to the rear with a master shutoff on the firewall and putting a tank where the battery location is...

I hear you Arron, Yea stainless wouldn't be a bad idea. I did think of making a baffle also, Kind of a divider in the center with holes to let it bleed between both sides and prevent sloshing. But I would feel that even without a baffle, A rear low feed would still be better then a low front feed. When you accelerate obviously the fluid is going to the rear of the tank, so it should always have a positive flow. Only time it would pull away from a rear feed is during braking. But obviously Meth is not being utilized during braking so. I appreciate the insight Aaron. Just may even keep it simple and get a different shaped tank and hang it vertical near the radiator or something. We will see....

Phil...

Phil
the only thing with having the tank on the wheel well is that the lowest point is ALWAYs going to be up front because of the natural Arch of the wheel well. So placing the feed in the back might work under hard acceleration but when the alky settles you might have more cavitation and loss of flow because of lack of alky. So either custom baffle or moving the tank elsewhere, where you can have a true sumped bottom feed would have to be your options.

-aaron

You could also use the universal tank from alkycontrol. Its better than using the typical overflow tank setup with the pickup in the front...

IMG_8154.JPG
IMG_8155.JPG

Phil
the only thing with having the tank on the wheel well is that the lowest point is ALWAYs going to be up front because of the natural Arch of the wheel well. So placing the feed in the back might work under hard acceleration but when the alky settles you might have more cavitation and loss of flow because of lack of alky. So either custom baffle or moving the tank elsewhere, where you can have a true sumped bottom feed would have to be your options.

-aaron
Oh yea, No I understand that, I was just saying that I am limited because the wheel well... I like the idea of running a tank in the spare tire location but I don't feel like moving the pump and lines ect. I may just relocate the battery to the rear and put a different style tank setup where the current batter tray is. We will see. I want to clean the engine bay wiring up a bit anyways. I get a little sick when it comes to projects like that. I literally rewired my whole engine bay on my Z06 and condensed everything into braided wire looms a couple winters ago. I may just make a little winter project out of this and relocate things ect and tackle that at that point...

Oh yea, No I understand that, I was just saying that I am limited because the wheel well... I like the idea of running a tank in the spare tire location but I don't feel like moving the pump and lines ect. I may just relocate the battery to the rear and put a different style tank setup where the current batter tray is. We will see. I want to clean the engine bay wiring up a bit anyways. I get a little sick when it comes to projects like that. I literally rewired my whole engine bay on my Z06 and condensed everything into braided wire looms a couple winters ago. I may just make a little winter project out of this and relocate things ect and tackle that at that point...
Sounds cool! Keep us posted. I always like seeing stuff "out of the box" - I have a Stainless Steel Reservoir i had made for the "Stock" location but am working on a low fluid sender amongst other things... so that is waiting until the winter with my other projects... having too much fun just driving the car.

aaron