Alky Injection Pressure Gauge

mike331

Has anyone tried to add a pressure gauge to there Alky setup so that they know that it is working correctly? If not how do you know if the pump fails.

Thanks

I know some guys are using a Fuel pressure transducer to read Alky press at the powerlogger. Not sure if anyone has used a gauge, but it is possible IMHO.

I have a mechanical gauge hooked up to mine with a transducer I got from Alkycontrol so I could log the pressures with my Powerlogger. Ask him about the electrical gauge he has come out with.

I am running the sender from Razor to log alky pressure with PowerLogger. An interesting thing I noticed is that the alky pressure fluctuates on the launch and takes a while to stabilize when the tank is not filled all the way, say even 2/3 of the way filled. At a track rental last week I started topping off the alky bottle after each run, filling it to the very top. I had to pull out more fuel and the alky pressure stayed max almost the entire pass. I would not have seen this without logging the alky pressure. I prime my alky system at least two times before I make a pass.

The first picture is a screen grab with the alky bottle filled about 2/3. You can see that the alky pressure drops to less than 60psi. The second picture is the next day at the track rental with the alky filled to the very top. Alky pressure is very good and stayed like that every run. Analog Input 4 is alky pressure.

Attachments

• PwerLogger_Etown_alky_fluct.JPG
    PwerLogger_Etown_alky_fluct.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 474
  • PowerLogger_Atco_10.50_130.2.JPG
    PowerLogger_Atco_10.50_130.2.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 463
Huh, where is your outlet fitting facing, horizontal towards the front of the engine, or pointing down? Could be seeing what carbureted Big Blocks see on hard launches with the jets leaning out due to the fuel staying at the back of the bowl.

Huh, where is your outlet fitting facing, horizontal towards the front of the engine, or pointing down? Could be seeing what carbureted Big Blocks see on hard launches with the jets leaning out due to the fuel staying at the back of the bowl.

I think thats exactly what I'm seeing. All of Razors kits for many years used the stock overflow tank with the outlet coming out the side towards the front. I heard there are newer kits coming out that will elimate this problem. I planned on moving my battery to the trunk which will leave a nice area to put a small fuel cell or maybe one of Razors other tanks that has a better design.

Cool ill look into that. Also what is a good power logger? Is there one that i dont have to cut into my car's computer.

Wanted to add.. those that already monitor pressure with one of the 150 PSI transducers on the PL.. you can add the gauge kit for 80.00.

I think thats exactly what I'm seeing. All of Razors kits for many years used the stock overflow tank with the outlet coming out the side towards the front. I heard there are newer kits coming out that will elimate this problem. I planned on moving my battery to the trunk which will leave a nice area to put a small fuel cell or maybe one of Razors other tanks that has a better design.

Here is something i've been working with. The down side is battery must be moved to the back.

Attachments

• 2galloncell.jpg
    2galloncell.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 405
Julio are these gauge/transducer kits available through your ebay store or directly from you website?

if so, can you post a link? Also where is everybody mounting these- as i already have the 'BIG 3' on the A-pillar [Fuel, Boost and O2]

thks again
aaron

I am running the sender from Razor to log alky pressure with PowerLogger. An interesting thing I noticed is that the alky pressure fluctuates on the launch and takes a while to stabilize when the tank is not filled all the way, say even 2/3 of the way filled. At a track rental last week I started topping off the alky bottle after each run, filling it to the very top. I had to pull out more fuel and the alky pressure stayed max almost the entire pass. I would not have seen this without logging the alky pressure. I prime my alky system at least two times before I make a pass.

The first picture is a screen grab with the alky bottle filled about 2/3. You can see that the alky pressure drops to less than 60psi. The second picture is the next day at the track rental with the alky filled to the very top. Alky pressure is very good and stayed like that every run. Analog Input 4 is alky pressure.

You can also mount a simple 3-4qt tank right on the firewall since you deleted the AC. You can also fill it with foam if you really want to control slosh. These tanks are pretty inexpensive.

Attachments

• 3qtwll410a_12.JPG
    3qtwll410a_12.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 359
Julio are these available through your ebay store or directly from you website?

if so, can you post a link? Also where is everybody mounting these- as i already have the 'BIG 3' on the A-pillar [Fuel, Boost and O2]

thks again
aaron

I havent aggressively marketed these gauges making sure there are no issues. One thing is try it myself.. then sell some to customers.. see if any quirks then move forward. I've sold approx 40 gauges and so far no problems. Actually the feedback from those using it have been very positive. It eliminates a lot of guess work. The gauges have been perfect. I have had a few transducers go bad on customers, but I have also moved over 100.. with todays gasoline and methanol in the mix.. the parts have been holding up very well.

Bad would be sell like 100 gauges then all of a sudden somethings up.. and deal with that drama. :D Thats why i'm never really eager when something new is developed.. give it a little time and shake out any bugs if any.

If anyone is interested, call me on it. I do sell them.. Soon i'll have them up on the Ebay store and website..

WOW - thats cool... what are the specs and where is that meant to fit:confused::confused:

These are made by Vortech. They fit in the battery tray. You'll notice the wings on the bottom. Measures 7 high x 7 wide x 11 long holds 2 gallons.

Outlet fitting can go on the bottom. I havent mocked one up on a Buick yet :redface: But is the size of a car battery.

Cost is 165 with float, plastic cap, and vent port.

I havent aggressively marketed these gauges making sure there are no issues. One thing is try it myself.. then sell some to customers.. see if any quirks then move forward. I've sold approx 40 gauges and so far no problems. Actually the feedback from those using it have been very positive. It eliminates a lot of guess work. The gauges have been perfect. I have had a few transducers go bad on customers, but I have also moved over 100.. with todays gasoline and methanol in the mix.. the parts have been holding up very well.

Bad would be sell like 100 gauges then all of a sudden somethings up.. and deal with that drama. :D Thats why i'm never really eager when something new is developed.. give it a little time and shake out any bugs if any.

If anyone is interested, call me on it. I do sell them.. Soon i'll have them up on the Ebay store and website..

TurboBuRick and I put one in my T type on Sun. Working sweet, 150+ psi all day.

TurboBuRick and I put one in my T type on Sun. Working sweet, 150+ psi all day.

Ya, now have a new item on my wish list.:biggrin: Problem is no where left to put another gauge. I have to sacrifice something. I think I'll take your advice getting rid of the water temp.

We'll have to send the alky signal into the PL like the murphster. Thats a beautiful thing.

The screenshots from above are very interesting. I can't believe 1/3 low would pose a threat. With the recent guys unexplainable damage here, a log of the alky pressure may have shed some light on what went wrong.
Alky also boils real easy. That can cavetate the pump and cause a pressure drop too.

So many variables with these cars. Data logging is so important. The more info the better. In a racer that depends on a dual nozzle alky for a main source of fuel, logging pressure is a must.

Ya, now have a new item on my wish list.:biggrin: Problem is no where left to put another gauge. I have to sacrifice something. I think I'll take your advice getting rid of the water temp.

We'll have to send the alky signal into the PL like the murphster. Thats a beautiful thing.

The screenshots from above are very interesting. I can't believe 1/3 low would pose a threat. With the recent guys unexplainable damage here, a log of the alky pressure may have shed some light on what went wrong.
Alky also boils real easy. That can cavetate the pump and cause a pressure drop too.

So many variables with these cars. Data logging is so important. The more info the better. In a racer that depends on a dual nozzle alky for a main source of fuel, logging pressure is a must.

Its funny to me how someone will spend 10K to build a motor with the best of the best then skimp out on datalogging... making the decisions of tuning based on gut feelings.. It is my number 1 shake my head item.. I see it everyday.. steel crank, billet rods, diamond pistons, billet crank.. assembled by XYZ.. took 2 years to build... then it comes to watching whats going on... ohh sorry.. ran out of money :D building the motor for a second time ;)

The tank is fine for a street car. Put slicks, very hard launches, etc... what do you want/expect. This is why fuel cells are sumped and tanks are lined with baffles and foam. Part of my reason for mounting pumps on the bumper bracket is that -6 line holds a pretty good amount of liquid, but in some cases cant overcome slosh in tank on a very hard launch.

Julio, what foam do you recommend that will hold up to meth? I want to stuff my Metco tank I have in the trunk.

There is a Karting company selld a block for like 20 bucks.. They use it on Go-Karts.. but they still say change it out once a year. And... it will mess with your float level switch..