Alky Control Or E85?

mtocrs1

Mtocrs1
My old school BGC alky kit just isn’t cutting it anymore. What do you guys think, should I switch over to E85 or buy an Alky control kit? The price is pretty much the same at this point.
I know all the benefits of both but cant seem to pull the trigger either way.
My goal is to have a high 10 to low 11sec STREET CAR.
What problems and advantages can you guys share with either setup?

My old school BGC alky kit just isn’t cutting it anymore. What do you guys think, should I switch over to E85 or buy an Alky control kit? The price is pretty much the same at this point.
I know all the benefits of both but cant seem to pull the trigger either way.
My goal is to have a high 10 to low 11sec STREET CAR.
What problems and advantages can you guys share with either setup?

Razors Alky kit works and can get you there. But, what are your supporting mods. You have nothing in your signature? Combo is really important.

I have have wooped .030 & Cammed Gn's with my stock setup simply because there tune was crap.

Combo and tune is important

E85 you have to use more of it so your MPG will drop and may have to get bigger injecs and more fule pump.
What if you go on a trip and E85 isnt available. Around here there is 1 station that carries it.

More details on your build

E85 you have to use more of it so your MPG will drop and may have to get bigger injecs and more fule pump.
What if you go on a trip and E85 isnt available. Around here there is 1 station that carries it.

That about sums it up for us around here to.. 1 gas station 20 miles away that has it .. We drive our 9 sec DD every day so we use Alkycontrol :cool: Maybe see if the E85 guys chime in with their results.

Razors Alky kit works and can get you there. But, what are your supporting mods. You have nothing in your signature? Combo is really important.

I have have wooped .030 & Cammed Gn's with my stock setup simply because there tune was crap.

Combo and tune is important

More details on your build

Turbo nasty,
Thanks for the response, however I understand I need a good tune and combo. My question is not how to get to my goal; either E85 or alky will do the job. I am just asking what everyone thinks is the better option with some supporting reasons.
But anyway here is current combo.

Current Mods Engine:
Balanced rotating assembly with Kenne bell pistons (not sure the actual manufacturer)
Bowling green customs 210/205 camshaft
Kenne Bell ported irons
Stock unported upper and lower intake with RJC power plate
Precision front mount intercooler
TE51 turbo
Stock Jet Hot coated Headers with larger stainless crossover pipe (Bowling green customs)
3” BGC Downpipe
3” Applied Tech cross flow exhaust
42.4lb injectors with Turbo Tweek Chip (BGC in tank pump)
Current Tranny Mods:
Built locally with the upgrade kit that Kenne Bell used to sell.
PTS extreme 2800 stall 9X11 converter
Rear end is the stock 8.5 with 3.42

Grumpy,
Here in central Illinois E85 seems to be everywhere but I here what you are saying. This is a concern of mine with E85. . I am not sure about E85 availability outside central IL.A true street car should be able to get gas when needed. I would hate to take a trip and not be able to find E85.

Use both. E85 and Alky.

My car already had an SMC on it when I switched to E85. The two work very well together. Extremely easy to tune compared to a pump gas / alky combo.

I'm another one from Illinois though... and E85 is everywhere.

I dont think I even have to post what I would do if I were you! You know what my responce would beE85!!!!!!!!!!!!

Use both. E85 and Alky.

why bother with the Alky ??? I'd go with one or the other NOT both . Look at how guys have been running with good ol pump gas an Alky . Very easy to use works great. 60# inj to. The bigger inj with E85 will need a modded ECM and larger fuel lines. Wonder how great gas mileage would be running straight E85 where your using more fuel ?? I don't know much about the E85 but have been watching threads about it. Some people say it works great BUT no drag racing results with their cars . :confused:

Use both. E85 and Alky.

My car already had an SMC on it when I switched to E85. The two work very well together. Extremely easy to tune compared to a pump gas / alky combo.

I'm another one from Illinois though... and E85 is everywhere.

BEATAV8
Why the need for Alky with the E85?
It seems that it should not be needed if E85 is everything everyone claims it is. I get one or the other. I am not willing to pay the price for both.

BEATAV8
Why the need for Alky with the E85?
It seems that it should not be needed if E85 is everything everyone claims it is. I get one or the other. I am not willing to pay the price for both.

Here's one reason why... have a look at the yellow arrow.

This car has a stock motor w/ 165k, TA49 turbo, stock intercooler. 80's with a single walbro in-tank, TT chip and SMC single nozzle with straight meth that consumes very little volume. It's bomb proof. The only way to make it detonate is to get too greedy with the timing. Then it starts to show 1-2 degrees KR on the 2-3 upshift.

So far in humid 90F weather it trapped 111mph at the track with the stock converter UNlocked, slipping 15% and plain street radials. Best it ever did unlocked with 100 unleaded + meth was 107mph.

30psi.jpg

The bigger inj with E85 will need a modded ECM and larger fuel lines.

With an extra pump helping out the High-z 80s should take you pretty far. The fuel lines haven't really proven to be a restriction to folks running down to low 11s high 10s.

Some people say it works great BUT no drag racing results with their cars . :confused:

I've noticed that too:confused:. I went saturday and posted my results the next day. So far I'm impressed with the results and I know there's a lot left on the table when I get some issues sorted out.:cool:

As long as you have E85 readily available, that's the route I would go hands down.

I m going to e-85 just because I have went through a lot to hide or get rid of all the extra stuff under the hood of my car as I could. I wanted everything hidden and that meant no alky nozzle in site. Not to mention I will only have to worry about one fuel system now. As for trips just plan a head and you will be ok. Just go to one of the e-5 locators and find stations along the way call them before you leave to be sure they sell it and there still open and you won’t have any trouble.

I believe the new 80 & 120 lb injectors are hi Zs and don't need a ECM mod- you can use your regular stock ECM with them.

Just yesterday I spoke with a guy thats already went through 3 motors on E-85. Each time it detonated hard. He's going to C16 and alky for cooling. Car makes 1k to the wheels. PT88, 347 SBF, 26 PSI.

What you have to realize is consistency of the E85. And you dare not start adding pump fuel into the mix as it messes everything up. There is plenty of reading. On most Buicks you cannot drain all the pump fuel out unless you remove the tank and flip it over.

For a mild car with access to E85, you can do either. Just dont get greedy.

Temperature issues with IC is another reason for the alky. Becuase as temps go up.. it will detonate no matter what fuel.

Dont think you cant pop the motor with either. It will happen when greed sets in. Not becuase I sell kits.. my car runs fine on pump gas and alky. Plenty of really high boost spikes.. no issues. Just keep your eye on your tuneup.

Recently I see a trend of moving away from liquid IC's and going back to A-A. using the meth as cooling.

Alky Control, Methonal Injection Systems

This was a week ago.. ;)

Just yesterday I spoke with a guy thats already went through 3 motors on E-85. Each time it detonated hard. He's going to C16 and alky for cooling. Car makes 1k to the wheels. PT88, 347 SBF, 26 PSI.

What you have to realize is consistency of the E85. And you dare not start adding pump fuel into the mix as it messes everything up. There is plenty of reading. On most Buicks you cannot drain all the pump fuel out unless you remove the tank and flip it over.

For a mild car with access to E85, you can do either. Just dont get greedy.

Temperature issues with IC is another reason for the alky. Becuase as temps go up.. it will detonate no matter what fuel.

Dont think you cant pop the motor with either. It will happen when greed sets in. Not becuase I sell kits.. my car runs fine on pump gas and alky. Plenty of really high boost spikes.. no issues. Just keep your eye on your tuneup.

Recently I see a trend of moving away from liquid IC's and going back to A-A. using the meth as cooling.

Alky Control, Methonal Injection Systems

This was a week ago.. ;)

Of course you would push alky kits, (honeslty no pun intended but it is your business so let me stand up for the other end of the spectrum). There are consistant 9 second cars all over the country running E85. To say you just had a guy go through 3 motors soley becuase he was runnning E85 shows that this guy much not be much of a tuner because if he's at a 1000HP levels, he'd better be running a fuel sensor and should have seen a bad mixture way before he blew up 3 motors.

Consistency of E85? How about consistency of Race gas? How about cinsistency of 93? How about consistency of Methanol? How long has the methanol been sitting around and how much water has it collected? There are variables in any fuel we run, no matter what.

Here's why I would never trust my $30K motor on alky alone, extra equipment failures. Think about all of the fail factors in an alky kit (pump, lines, injector, controller, wiring, low methontal level light, methanol consistency, even the plastic tank, etc). There is a whole bunch of extra hardware that could fail. One of those parts fails and your tuned for 30 psi, motor goes BOOM! On E85, you rely on the fuel system, just as you would if you were running 93 or race gas, if you run out of fuel you run out of fuel. Same fail factures with any fuel system

QUOTE RAZOR: Temperature issues with IC is another reason for the alky. Becuase as temps go up.. it will detonate no matter what fuel.

This is the entire point of E85, Ethanol also cools the mixture inside the cylinder, it's doing the same thing with the exception of the alcohol entering through the air as comparing through the fuel. It's entering and mixing inside the cylinder. I had a customers car here that I just converted to E85, I needed to fill the cooling system and decided to do so by simply filling the overflow tank, it took nearly 45 minutes at idle for the car to get hot enough to open the T-stat on E85. It runs that cool.

Now......my side with Razor is......a lot of people have trusted Razors, SMC, etc kits to run high psi and have done it for years with mostly good results aside from a few horror stories here and there. They are tried and true to work! And if you plan to run some BIG HP numbers (600+), your going to need to spend some good money on your fuel system to run E85, but most people with those numbers arent going to soley rely on a double pumper and a hotwire kit anyways.

A good fuel pump, stock lines,120's and hotwire kit will get your car into the 10's on E85.

A good fuel pump, stock lines, 60's, a hotwire kit and an alky kit will get you into the 10's on 93.

You choose which best suits you. If you already have an alky kit, why not use it as extra insurance. I would choose E85 over anything as my primary fuel source on a forced injection car.

Yes there is E85 cars running fast all over the world.

To take it further lets look at the #1 cause of issues with them.

Water and contaminated fuel. Razor touched on it

Filtration has had to be tripled and fuel components are still getting messed up from it.

Water intrusion/absorbtion is a uphill battle and is inherent to ethanol. A drum of Meth vs thousands of gallons of E85. The amount of E85 in holding just makes it that much harder to get a grip on teh water and algae in the tanks

Im just saying.