Air suspension vs coil-over

Warp6

Mine since '92
Tired of the stock setup and drag race inspired look with my welds. New wheels have been ordered and now I'm looking at suspensions. Air seems really neat in that it's fully adjustable. I don't know anyone with an air suspension and would like to hear some feedback. Like, can you adjust it on the fly for ride stiffness and height, does it handle as good as a coil-over setup, what has to happen in the trunk with air-supply. Seems like it would be really cool to infinitely adjust ride height..is that even how it works?

I'm using Ridetech air. Everything's done, however, it's not functional yet because the motor is still out. Not sure how you plan to install, but for me it was pretty simple. I did a full frame restoration which made the install very easy. For example, you have to notch the front of the frame so the air bags can expand. Simple to do with the from off the chassis, but not so sure with it on. The rears are pretty much standard. Aside from the custom brackets that Ridetech made for my Moser Ford 9", everything for the rear was normal configuration. Also, I closed in the spare tire well in my trunk to give me more room for the air tank.

I like the air suspensions. I watched a few videos with air rides and from there wanted to do it. I'm sure your gonna hear people say, "air suspension.....well that's not for racing.... can't race with that" Whatever that's supposed to mean, I'm not really sure..... My car's gonna run in the 8's.....so don't really care what someone thinks.... Also, it's not cheap, but you can do shit with it that you can't do with conventional suspension, which is nice. Raise or lower it to your liking. You can practically put it on the ground to keep someone from stealing/towing. There's an app you buy to work it from your phone. Can lower and raise from your phone. Here's a few pics of my application from the install. You'll be one of the lucky few if you do it. Very few out there with air. Good luck.

Attachments

• IMG_7886[1].JPG
    IMG_7886[1].JPG
    326.6 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_7887[1].JPG
    IMG_7887[1].JPG
    157.2 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_7885[1].JPG
    IMG_7885[1].JPG
    179.2 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_6017[1].JPG
    IMG_6017[1].JPG
    183.9 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_6018[1].JPG
    IMG_6018[1].JPG
    174.8 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_6020[1].JPG
    IMG_6020[1].JPG
    174.1 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_6021[1].JPG
    IMG_6021[1].JPG
    189.2 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_8223[1].JPG
    IMG_8223[1].JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 113
Thanks for taking the time to post your install pictures. I'm very curious how they perform

I went with a coil over set up cause I didn’t know anyone who had a air ride. Warp6, I have now heard people loving it (not from a GN owner yet).

Kris... I’m jealous, should have stuck with my gut from the beginning. What part of frame did you notch?

Photo of ridetech coilover

f17468fcdaa00af29645b5608d85e757.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kris never mind I see the notch... damn there goes “my want”. Hate to cut frame now that I powder coated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for taking the time to post your install pictures. I'm very curious how they perform
Give Scott a call at GNS, he's tested a lot of different products. Detroit speed, Ridetech.... See what he thinks.

Thanks Guy's! I have personally tested all kinds of drop coil springs from Hotchkis, DSE, to cutting springs and along the way all kinds of regular gas shocks.... Then I talked Kyle of DSE into designing a G-Body suspension then that whole kit was tested on my car with drop springs and gas shocks, then I moved up to their coil overs. Then from their I installed the RideTech coil over suspension with the single adjustable coil overs and loved how it handled, very similar to the DSE suspension...This whole time testing each of these products on our white GNS test T-Type and autocrossing each change, weighing each change and logging each change in handling character differences. Installed and drove several RideTech Air suspensions as well.... With the air you have more versatility and adjustments cause essentially you have a coil over with an air bag wrapped around it and you can adjust everything. One nice thing air has over coil over is that you don't have to lay under the car to make your adjustments, you simply have 3 pre sets with your race setting, your handling setting, and one more if you like.... The best feature is that if you load your trunk up to go to a buick event for 4 days out of town and all that weight has your ass end of the car sagging, just touch the buttons and add Air! Can't do that with coil overs!

Thanks Guy's! I have personally tested all kinds of drop coil springs from Hotchkis, DSE, to cutting springs and along the way all kinds of regular gas shocks.... Then I talked Kyle of DSE into designing a G-Body suspension then that whole kit was tested on my car with drop springs and gas shocks, then I moved up to their coil overs. Then from their I installed the RideTech coil over suspension with the single adjustable coil overs and loved how it handled, very similar to the DSE suspension...This whole time testing each of these products on our white GNS test T-Type and autocrossing each change, weighing each change and logging each change in handling character differences. Installed and drove several RideTech Air suspensions as well.... With the air you have more versatility and adjustments cause essentially you have a coil over with an air bag wrapped around it and you can adjust everything. One nice thing air has over coil over is that you don't have to lay under the car to make your adjustments, you simply have 3 pre sets with your race setting, your handling setting, and one more if you like.... The best feature is that if you load your trunk up to go to a buick event for 4 days out of town and all that weight has your ass end of the car sagging, just touch the buttons and add Air! Can't do that with coil overs!

As always, very helpful!

I have installed a GNX rear end can I put in air for the rear?

I have installed a GNX rear end can I put in air for the rear?
That depends on how much room you have in the shock area by the pan hard bar... People selling the GNX rear suspension probably don't know that the shock area by the pan hard bar is limited... That will take some measuring and possibly some fabrication of lower shock brackets to make them work.

The GNX Torque arm suspension doesn't change the outboard shock and spring locations. If it clears the panhard bar, it'll fit.
"IF" is the key word... Most likely a coil over or shock wave will be too close to the pan hard bar but like you said if it fits without hitting it should be okay cause there is no lateral movement there.

"IF" is the key word... Most likely a coil over or shock wave will be too close to the pan hard bar but like you said if it fits without hitting it should be okay cause there is no lateral movement there.

Sounds like GNS needs to put together a package with the repop GNX diff cover and torque arm, but replace the panhard with a Fayes Watts Link. If the bellcrank and Watts frame will clear the diff cover, that'll leave plenty of room outboard for whatever shock and spring package somebody wants to try.