Air dam mounting question

Turbo6Smackdown

From the factory in '87, how did they mount the air dams on our cars? The holes are way bigger than the nuts. What did they use back then to make it fit?

they used large thin washers and they were just steel so they tended to rust away

I had curved spring washers on mine when I replaced the air dam. I don't know why but I can't post up a pic of my rust old one....I tried to click on "upload a file" but it does nothing!

That's correct....super thin!
That's correct....super thin!

Figured out how to post pics but now it displays them upside down when they weren't on my computer upside down?
photo 1(21).JPG

Attachments

• photo 2(21).JPG
    photo 2(21).JPG
    162.4 KB · Views: 123
Yea ok, I have a few of those on my shit. I'd like to get a few more and restore them. Like I do everything else.

just like Tyler said its a stud and in your pics the spring washer is in the inside of union ,
make a better design by adding a washer on the back of air damn with spring / tension washer on other side so stud bolts doesn't pull through
the oem design sucks because holes are soooooo BBBBBBiiiiggg

Last edited:
Matt, yes, exactly that is my concern that the spring washer as weak as it is would not offer enough resistance for the air dam to tear away at some point down the road. Mine were all rusted and I had removed the air dam some years ago and I'm reattaching it now during my restoration, so I'm concern and want to do it right with new studs, nuts and washers provided by Highway Stars hardware. I know Tyler just completed his and understood how he reattached his air dam and just wanted to verify his install.

just like Tyler said its a stud and in your pics the spring washer is in the inside of union ,
make a better design by adding a washer on the back of air damn with spring / tension washer on other side so stud bolts doesn't pull through
the oem design sucks because holes are soooooo BBBBBBiiiiggg
That pic is from turbo86gn