Aftermarket ECU

'87 Turbo "T"

What a complete shitshow!!
TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
Sorry for another ECU post.

When do guys start going to an aftermarket ECU? I've got a new motor build coming, going to E85, have SM, & PL installed.

I just read the most recent post saying they're not really needed. I'd like opinions as I like the deeper tuning possibilities, safety features amongst other things. I'm looking to stay in the 11's so maybe it's not a necessity.

Let's discuss.

No reason for you to go exotic for your goals. I'm running low 10's on a stock computer and a TT chip.

Contact Eric at Turbo Tweak, he will give you the straight info about your combo and recommend a good alternative to the stock chip.

P.S. Know what you have in your combo, or he won't be able to help you much.

Cam, heads, injectors, turbo, torque converter are all essential. Anything more just helps him help you.

Thanks Guy.

I'm already in the TT club. Went from his 5.7 currently have his 6.1 WB chip. Learning tuning off of the PL set-up.

Stock computers have been in the 9's.

Power logging tuning is great, as long as you have someone that "gets it" helping you, so hard to do all alone..... :)

I'll never get there with my very limited abilities, but it's possible.

When do guys start going to an aftermarket ECU? I've got a new motor build coming, going to E85, have SM, & PL installed.

I just read the most recent post saying they're not really needed. I'd like opinions as I like the deeper tuning possibilities, safety features amongst other things. I'm looking to stay in the 11's so maybe it's not a necessity.

Let's discuss.
Not really needed if you are going straight E85 and running in the 11's. If you want the features of the newer ECU's then go for it.

The ecu-GN is great if your wiring harness is in great shape. Really plug and play. You can get the Holley with a wiring harness specifically made for the Buick (Cruz Performance made mine) Both installs are pretty straightforward and easy.

I feel ecu-GN falls between the HP and Dominator from the Holley line with it's features. The HP and the Terminator X are pretty limited in the input/output department (4 of each). The Dominator and the ecu-GN have a lot of I/O. The Dominator can control a electronically controlled transmission. The software on the Holley IMO is easier to use than the one for the ecu-GN. The self-learn on the Holley can be used without a laptop; I am pretty sure you need to have your laptop hooked up an running the self-learn process on the ecu-GN but I am not 100% sure.

Either way is a decent chunk of change and may be hard to justify with how well the stock ECU and TT chips work.

I have a Holley Dominator on my car and love it. Great boost control, flex fuel, controls both fuel pumps with no hobbs switch, plus it's nice having the safeties the systems can provide. The 12.3" dash is also awesome.
1676081785604.png

1676081869348.png

I only went to an aftermarket ECU because Eric won't burn chips for anything bigger than low impedance 120's . My 120's were maxing out with the new motor so I had to switch ECU's . You should be good to low 10's with what you have and I did it on Eric's default settings . He is pretty spot on with his chips .

I have a Holley Dominator on my car and love it. Great boost control, flex fuel, controls both fuel pumps with no hobbs switch, plus it's nice having the safeties the systems can provide. The 12.3" dash is also awesome.
Holley HP going in my car right now . You gain more inputs with the Pro Dash , just not able to log them . Mine will be maxed out with both but if I need more I'll get the CAN I/O module .

Holley HP going in my car right now . You gain more inputs with the Pro Dash , just not able to log them . Mine will be maxed out with both but if I need more I'll get the CAN I/O module .
I though about going that way (HP / CAN module) but the 2004r going in is going to be the last, next time the car kills a transmission I am going 4l80e so the cost of the HP / CAN / Trans Controller was close to a wash so went Dominator.

Stock computers have been in the 9's.

Power logging tuning is great, as long as you have someone that "gets it" helping you, so hard to do all alone..... :)

I'll never get there with my very limited abilities, but it's possible.
Stock computers have been faster than that😉

Something else I was looking at to monitor the fuel pumps health is current transformers . To keep an eye on current draw . If it starts going up from it's when new base line , start checking connection or the pump itself .

Fair enough. Thanks Fellas. I do like some of the safety features available in the aftermarket ECU’s.

I don’t hate the PL. just a bit tough to learn not knowing the in’s & outs of the program. Not to mention a bit jealous of the new ECU’s features. They do come with a hefty price tag.

Isn’t tuning easier & safer with E85 as well?

Let's discuss.
Axis extreme

I though about going that way (HP / CAN module) but the 2004r going in is going to be the last, next time the car kills a transmission I am going 4l80e so the cost of the HP / CAN / Trans Controller was close to a wash so went Dominator.
Dave husek will be your last call.

The chips that we have available to us are great. I ran a bunch of the Turbo Tweaks over the years. I switched to the GN ECU from the SD2 for the safety shut off features. Which have saved me when I had fuel pump issues. Otherwise my car runs the same.

Not really needed if you are going straight E85 and running in the 11's. If you want the features of the newer ECU's then go for it.

The ecu-GN is great if your wiring harness is in great shape. Really plug and play. You can get the Holley with a wiring harness specifically made for the Buick (Cruz Performance made mine) Both installs are pretty straightforward and easy.

I feel ecu-GN falls between the HP and Dominator from the Holley line with it's features. The HP and the Terminator X are pretty limited in the input/output department (4 of each). The Dominator and the ecu-GN have a lot of I/O. The Dominator can control a electronically controlled transmission. The software on the Holley IMO is easier to use than the one for the ecu-GN. The self-learn on the Holley can be used without a laptop; I am pretty sure you need to have your laptop hooked up an running the self-learn process on the ecu-GN but I am not 100% sure.

Either way is a decent chunk of change and may be hard to justify with how well the stock ECU and TT chips work.

View attachment 391323
View attachment 391324
from the pic looks like the Holley system can use coil-on-plug. what coils-on-plug coils are on this engine? how were they mounted? thx! looks awesome!